Hello Guest

Author Topic: Stupid Diesel  (Read 4268 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Stupid Diesel
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »
I felt like whining this morning so here it is.
I've been prepping the rv for its maiden voyage for about 3 months now,  and been scouting camp spots for a few weeks,  and yesterday was the day to hook up. As we topped one of the larger mountains on the route the truck temp hit 245 and started blowing Trans fluid out. Ugg
I pulled over and coolant was shooting out of the radiator, caused by the disintegrated fan shroud.

Thank goodness for the container of pepper in the rv.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Diesel
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
That is no way to start a vacation Ken. The fan shroud, broken before you left home or happened somehow on the road? Only ask because I will be towing in the heat next Spring/Summer and like to know what to watch for.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Oh that sucks....I am sorry to hear that! I hope its a relatively easy fix- but I know there are NO easy fixes when you're supposed to be kicking back on vacation.  >:(

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:54:43 PM »
That is a real kick in the pants!
Sorry to hear that it's this instead of relaxing.

On a positive note, I think you can handle the repairs. Lol.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
That is a sucky time and place to start a coolant stack cleaning procedure!  Hope you're able to get speedy parts and any necessary support!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that. It is part of the joys of camping though. Seems like I am always working on the truck or trailer every time we go out. It's always something. Flat tires, failed bearings, oil leaks, diesel leaks, or anything else that decides to break. I never leave home without tools and I am sure you have some as well.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »
Bob, the water pump was replaced  under warranty a few months back.  They poked a hole in the radiator and had to replace it.
The rubber ring that hooks the inner and outer shrouds together,  was wrapped around the fan and whipping the radiator.  I'm sure it was caused by misinstallation .

I found a rad in the nearest town. Went to pick it up,  saw their service center was slow. ....so I'm paying to have done. .....I would have to buy a bunch of tools,  and deal with oils and coolant in the forest so I took the easy way out. ....just waiting in their lobby talking to my Web buddies...  :thumbsup

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »
Camp

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
Awesome spot. Looks like ya won't have to be worried about loud music, barking dogs, or people hootin and hollerin!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »
Glad you made to the campsite. Yup I agree, you can't take tools enough to fix everything that could go wrong. Best to just pay to play and get back to it. You going to have a talk with the dealer when you get home? I hate to have others work on my stuff and then have it bite me. Thanks for the info, but to call that a forest, well maybe in AZ but Western WA not so much. Enjoy it Ken you worked hard to get there. OH and we are getting some rain here finally, lots of lightening to go with it so hope nothing catches fire.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:01 PM »
Sorry for your luck Kenneth, hope it goes well from here on!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 06:26:02 PM »
I like the view in the second pic as a panorama. Looks peaceful and a good place to hang out a enjoy some peace and quiet.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
Ken- did you bring the tire swing?  Awesome spot and wishing you perfect weather and a relaxing and rewarding time with the family!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 08:05:31 PM »
Still out there huh, looks like a nice area.

Last time I went to Canada I lost a tranny in Oregon,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
Thanks guys. In my 35 years of driving, I have never been stranded, or had a major breakdown, so it took me off guard. To top it off, those fancy retractable tie down straps I was bragging about decide to stretch and let the Ranger bounce around in the garage a bit, allowing the muffler to eat a hole in the rear door/ramp. I had planned on checking the straps half way through the hills, but became side tracked with the smell of coolant (and trans fluid that decided that it didn't like to be constrained in such a hot environment).

After I got it to hold water, and was headed down a long 7%ter, the tow haul mode decided to drop multiple gears, taching the engine out at close to 5k, threatening to scatter rods along the pavement....every time I touched the brakes. So, after the third time, I had to start using the brakes, and ended up warping the rotors on the truck. Errrrrr.

Bob, not everyone lives in a rainforest. :)

Yeah kyle, it was very peaceful. The rain let up by the time we got up there (we've been getting quite a bit of that stuff lately), lows in the upper 50s, highest was 85.

Mike, the swing was already there. When my daughter spotted it, she knew it was going to be the right camp.
I took an end cut from a 24" log, built a couple X trusses lashed together for support, and now the camp also has a knife/tomahawk throwing target....it was a big hit for both the girls, and their boyfriends (and the champion....ken).

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
Still out there huh, looks like a nice area.

Last time I went to Canada I lost a tranny in Oregon,,,,,,,,,,,,

It was one of the least populated places I could find, but there were still a few flatlanders.

Just got home....114*.....wish I could've stayed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »
Sorry to hear Ken,  At least you didnt have head gaskets as a result.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
Ken are you running a turbo brake in your tuning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
Yeah. The LML has that from the factory, but that trailer pushed the truck like it was a Tonka toy. Part of the problem was that I put the 35" mudders back on because of all the rain recently (even though I ended up not needing them). Stock tires would've been better in the hills.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
Wow... All 3 axles have brakes on the 5er? Yeah 35's didn't help that's for sure. Sounds like a white knuckle ride.

NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »
All 3 axles, check.

Overloaded beyond the 16500 max. check. lol

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:22 PM »
From what I know, the brakes on our trucks are one of the better engineered components. Impressive that you warped your rotors... And kind of horrifying lol

NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 12:21:52 PM »
Ken...Glad to hear you had a grand time and a safe trip. And I respect your bravery....those "new" trucks scare me when traveling.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »
Norm, I will never trust it again, nor will I trust anyone to do work to it besides myself, even warranty work.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
Not sure if you remember my similar story... but we broke down in my LMM on the hwy in route to 4th of July camping trip... Never could quite get over the mental block with that truck, and I finally ended up selling it and buying a different truck. Kind of extreme, but I know exactly how you feel. Once bit, twice shy.
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal