Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Building of Hank!  (Read 19150 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:38:02 AM »
Alright Guys and Gals, Boys and Girls, It is officially go time. Although it has arrived it may be slow at first, but hopefully continual progress will be made. The end goal is a crew cab with a 12valve cummins in it. Wife and I have been wanting a simple and rugged/durable truck for a while. Cummins was also the go to power plant for simplicity and durability. The chosen body was something that took a minute to get too. We talked burbs (70s models) or crew cab chevys. Then I found that dodge made some crew cab power wagons and first gens, and I set my mind on having one of these. Took a few years to get one, but finally one was able to be purchased. After a few thousand miles in a few short days we had our crew cab home with us here in AZ. For a little more information on the decision see my original thread http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1274.0 (couldn't figure out how to hyperlink the word thread, I tried).

So we bought the Crew Cab out of Montana, and the donor truck out of Phoenix. The CrewCab is a 1974 with a rebuilt 440 and NP435, and I even have the receipts from the work! Has D70s under it with 4.10s according to the numbers I was able to provide Tate. Mileage, well who knows and who cares. It also has the divorced 205 transfer case.

The donor is a 1992 (11/91) club cab 250 that has lived its life in AZ. It has the 12valve, a 4 spd auto and a transfer case I am assuming is an NP205 (haven't looked yet). This truck would a great place to start for a rebuild if you wanted a club cab, as much of the work has already been done. That being said we want a crew cab not a club cab, that was part of this whole undertaking it had to have four doors. I will be taking the axles, and drivetrain from this 92 and placing them ever so neatly into the crew cab. The pump has been rebuilt according to PO, and he bought the truck with a broken transmission so that too has been rebuilt. As far as I know to stock specs. Mileage, also not truly known, but after talking to a cummins man before looking at it, I am going to think its somewhere in the mid 150s. It doesn't blow smoke unless power braked, the oil drip tube on the drivers side of the engine (can't think of proper term) is not wet nor can I get it wet, and it also does not blow any smoke. Therefore I believe it to be a young and healthy heart....just the item we need! I believe it has a 70 in the rear again thanks to Tate and his number magic. Both front and rear tags state it has 3.54s, which is what I want as we will not be running anything bigger than 35s (so I say now).

So the plan.... Get started immediately, pull the unwanted boat anchors under the crew cab. Then pull the 12valve/transmission/transfer case. Do a bit of frame touch up and steering sorting and then install cummins. Drive like the dickens, pull back into the house and have some whiskey.

Just loaded ready to leave MT.

South of Casper at the beginning of my longest day (18hrs).

At home.

Original green...Thought about trying to bring it back...Not happening.

Donor of love just before leaving its PO's home.

More to follow of course, will add pic tours of the donor tomorrow.

If you are interested in any of the following please let me know:

rebuilt 440/np435
closed knuckle dana 70 front with 4.10s
dana70 rear with 4.10s
divorced 205 transfercase
almost complete 1992 dodge club cab body

I will gladly pallet and ship if you are willing to pay the shipping costs.

Turner
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:44:35 AM by wyorunner »

Online JR

• View Profile
Re: The Building of Hank!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:41:43 AM »
This will be good and don't get rushed. BD is on build day like 275 or something, not including time off.

Those parts should go easy, lots of diehard fans.

Tates a good guy and Randys like my CC.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
This will no doubt be another well thought out build. Concept is solid, seems to be well financed, achievable, and lots of commitment

This is where most of us will end up going in time once it fully settles in just what modern trucks have become...wasteful and burdened with the results of foolish bureaucratic handiwork
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:47:10 AM »
Congrats man, awesome to see you scored your next piece in the puzzle. So now all you need to do is start wrenching and have fun  8)

With that said, we are going to put some miles on the Ramcharger today tooling around. I may go see what I can score that crew local to me for. Not sure why, like I need another Dodge LoL

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Congrats man, awesome to see you scored your next piece in the puzzle. So now all you need to do is start wrenching and have fun  8)

With that said, we are going to put some miles on the Ramcharger today tooling around. I may go see what I can score that crew local to me for. Not sure why, like I need another Dodge LoL

Yea you could probably use another one :o you guys should drive out here, and check out some of AZ.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
Just make Ken do it! ;)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
OK, where does Hank come from??

I sure liked AZ when I was on vacation a few times, just to far to get to from here if I need to.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »

OK, where does Hank come from??

I sure liked AZ when I was on vacation a few times, just to far to get to from here if I need to.

So I asked a brother of mine for ideas. It took a few days but if you read comics or have, think Xmen. Dr. Hank McCoy aka Beast. So instead of calling the truck beast (which is what we want it to be) we chose to go indirectly with Hank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:44:58 PM »

Just a few more.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
Gonna look good!  watching closely
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
I will be watching as well...... I thought of you yesterday while I spent 45min looking for a radiator overflow reservoir for a pre 93 Dodge pickup in my parts stash. The thought was......."I bet his crew cab has a 12V before mine does at this rate"

I am still at bare frame stage... your odd are fair LOL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
I will be watching as well...... I thought of you yesterday while I spent 45min looking for a radiator overflow reservoir for a pre 93 Dodge pickup in my parts stash. The thought was......."I bet his crew cab has a 12V before mine does at this rate"

I am still at bare frame stage... your odd are fair LOL
Norm, you have until June to get it running!

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
Heck, we have 4 conversions going now and 1 actually ready to run, guess who,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
LMAO Don touche my friend.

I got waylaid by life...and I don't have my shop partner which really slows me down. Hopefully she will feel better soon and we can get back to work.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
But heck Norm, the target was "June", not specifying which June~!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
But heck Norm, the target was "June", not specifying which June~!
Exactly!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Nothing real exciting of an update but figured I should throw up my recent experience. Currently I am ready to work but seems time has not been on my side and this weekend is the end of another class.

So, yesterday I needed to go pick up a couple pallets of feed for a friend and myself. I figured the power wagon was the way to go, with the flat bed and all. Well I made it less than 4 miles from the house, went to shift down to slow down and take a corner... As soon as I let out the clutch the truck was dead in the water. I was immediately confused, still kind of am as I haven't looked into for more than a few minutes. Found a blown 30 amp fuse that the alternator had to send power through in order for it to get to the battery, odd i thought. So I removed that, wife came up gave me a pull start and off I went as it seemed fine.

Well as I was going down the highway (less than a mile from where we were at) truck seemed to be maxed out and no more throttle response, I was barely doing 45 I would guess. Then as I went to shift down again DEAD! Again wife and the dura max came to the rescue and we towed it home. Then took the known reliable truck and got two tons of feed.

Fiddled with the power wagon when I ended up at home after off loading a never ending pile of feed bags. Didn't get real into it so I don't know at this time. Thoughts were of course the electrical system as each time it died the battery acted dead, then I was thinking bad fuel, and carburetor issues. It only would do this when topped out in fourth, it never did it before when tooling around the dirt roads near the house so that's my unfortunate no fun picture less update.

Blessings,
Turner

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
so are we talking about just straight up died, chugged a bit and died, sputtered and died.................?

is there some sort of a safety relay on the trans that would cause it to die.....like when a torq convert goes out......to keep the trans from blowing itself up................?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »
so are we talking about just straight up died, chugged a bit and died, sputtered and died.................?

is there some sort of a safety relay on the trans that would cause it to die.....like when a torq convert goes out......to keep the trans from blowing itself up................?

I would say it was sputtering while trying to run at speed, but not bad enough to be of significant concern or so I thought. Once I pushed the clutch in to shift down it just simply died no warning, nothing, just no power. Then tried to start it and I'd get the "click" from the starter. Got it home let it set and it tried to turn over before the battery fully gave up, and by try I mean it turned the crank once or twice just not fast enough.

I was actually thinking along the same lines of a safety relay. But never got that far into it because of other duties, and such is the current situation. Trying to finish up class before end of day as it is the last day of class today, and being that this is my job it takes precedence... As much as I'd rather be out there looking at the truck.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:16:38 PM by wyorunner »

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 06:41:13 PM »
It sounds like it just flat ran out of voltage. If the alternator wasn't charging, and voltage dropped below 9 volts or so, it would die. The electronic ignition needs more than that.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 07:54:33 PM »
^^^this is a really good possibility^^^

could be a good indication that both the battery and the alternator have gone caput!?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
There is a wire on old Dodges that carries all the ALT voltage through the firewall bulkhead up to the Amp meter, through it, and back into the harness. If I was to guess at a no charge situation I'd be looking at that wire. If it has not been removed/replaced I sure would do so ASAP. It burns down a lot of nice old Dodge trucks. They go bad at the bulkhead or at the Amp Meter it's self usually.

Also it could be any one of a half dozen fusible links.  The usual fix for this can be found in a Google search....it's a common issue.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »

There is a wire on old Dodges that carries all the ALT voltage through the firewall bulkhead up to the Amp meter, through it, and back into the harness. If I was to guess at a no charge situation I'd be looking at that wire. If it has not been removed/replaced I sure would do so ASAP. It burns down a lot of nice old Dodge trucks. They go bad at the bulkhead or at the Amp Meter it's self usually.

Also it could be any one of a half dozen fusible links.  The usual fix for this can be found in a Google search....it's a common issue.

The amp meter wire is the one that I would say has a significant choke point in it. It is a 4ga wire from alt to meter and the PO had placed a fusible link that was on 10ga in the middle of it, blew that fuse, I then pulled the fusible link. In hopes to get me to town. The wire from alt to meter and the meter were both new. I'll be out there fiddling today.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:37 AM »
Long over do update,

I finally got some time to be able to work on this project. The Cummins is all but two transmission cooler lines and the AC lines ready to come out, should be in the next couple days. While in there I found a couple interesting things;

This was in the bottom of the radiator. While I didn't get a picture of it, I feel as though this truck went a period without anything in the cooling system because the inlet port on the top of the block was anything but smooth, there was a significant amount of build up as well as rust. At this point, it doesn't worry me to much.

While this thing is not a new find, what it is connected to I only just found out and I don't understand why it is attached.

It is located under the middle passenger side of the bed and has two hoses running to the Automatic transmission. I understand it is obviously some kind of ATF cooler, but with the two that were already factory on the truck what point does this serve? Possibly to combat heat from heavy towing? It is cobbled together to boot. I am unsure if it is factory or not but I think it is not. Any info on it sure would be neat, but I am not keeping it whatever it is.

Sorry I didn't take a picture of the parts pile that is continually growing.

What is the preferred method of AC removal for a system that is not going to be re-used, but possibly sold? My concern is the charge that is in the system, dismantling it and removing the hoses is not that big of a deal really, just not sure how to evac the system.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
Most would say to have the system evaced by a pro. I would just crack a line and let it bleed out (not pc or enviro correct) but the world will not end. Cap everything off and store for selling or reuse.

Weird stuff there for sure in the coolant, but I have seen few really clean. Especially the older stuff, is there an anode in there?

Maybe they took out a nice cooler and left the fan?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
Looks to be a cooler.  Probably thermostatically controlled fan I would guess.  Remotely mounted there is insufficient air flow to cool so there are units with a built in fan.  Ditch it and save 20 lbs.

Similar to this one by extreme diesel.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:03:30 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »
That's one "Goobered up" location to hang one!  Must have really been lifted to think that was a good spot!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 09:49:34 AM »
That goop in the rad is coolant "gel". After a couple years of sitting, the coolant turns into a gelatin. (this can also happen when in service, to a lesser degree...dexcool is notorious for that).
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
So I'm waiting on getting engine hoist to the house (read tractor with forks) but in the mean time i managed this....

That picture does not do it justice. I showed my wife when she got home and she said "oh wow you can see inside flesh"

Here's a better one

Now does anybody need an air conditioning system from a 92 dodge, a 92 adventure cab with long bed, a rebuilt 7.2l 440, an np435 or a divorced 205 transfer case? If you are interested in any or all please let me know, and depending on where you live well work out delivery arrangements.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:39:09 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
quit crying, put some GAA on it, wrap it with 100mph tape, take some motrin and move out and draw fire..........;D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
Butterfly or super glue, then 100 MPH tape

CM

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
rub some dirt on it and keep moving, bro.  Jus sayin....

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »

quit crying, put some GAA on it, wrap it with 100mph tape, take some motrin and move out and draw fire..........;D

Ya see, you forgot two things change your socks and make sure you drink enough water. Crying... Just have to learn to work through it!

Butterfly or super glue, then 100 MPH tape

Superglue, that's my go to for most things, and essential oil.

CM
rub some dirt on it and keep moving, bro.  Jus sayin....

ATF, Gravel and a general coating of grease, it's good!

It seemed fitting to share or maybe somewhat common place when the bloodletting is from a rig.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 06:42:54 AM »
Oh yeah.  You MUST share those sacrifices and then just know the next thing is the ribbing....

Like when I hit myself in the shin with the axe.....

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
And my knee with the chainsaw...

And I suppose I could add a PSA about axes as well.
Never use an axe in place of a hatchet...
For limbing trees to cut up...
And then start lifting them overhead...because he pile is too knotted up.
After 10 odd minutes or so, the swinging arm loses track of the inertia of the axe head...

And this is the result.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 08:16:26 AM »
its a wonder your even alive still sam

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2015, 08:16:39 AM »
I've got almost the exact same scar, on the same hand, and from an axe... haha

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
No blood, no fun. Every project must have some blood on it.

If its not bleeding, who cares. Cover it and get back to work.

Wish I could, my sciatic nerve came down hard yesterday, meds did nothing for the pain. Today I am just stiff/sore and the foot is numb.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 08:56:44 PM »
its a wonder your even alive still sam
To be quite honest, I'm pretty hard on the whole body unit.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 09:36:32 PM »
Two words. Quick Clot

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 12:18:33 AM »
Two words. Quick Clot

Not bad enough for QC
That's a masking tape wound if ever I saw one!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 12:48:13 AM »
Not to add to the severe bloodletting d.o.t. BUT last year around this time I felt the need to allow the ax to slip off the log it was splitting and bound into my pinky toe. Was one of those "huny, I think we might need to go to the emergency room...." Two hours later no emergency room, just essential oil and a band aid as the toe wasn't hanging just a cut.

Samm, I am like you overall general abuse to the body have been most of my life and don't foresee a slow down anytime soon.

Now for the update, I want to start by sharing a bit of a learning lesson for those who may not have ever pulled an engine, maybe help someone save time or damage to something. Over the last couple days I have worked on this I have found my self wanting it out more and more, and the closer it gets the more its desired. Why do I tell you all this, because as many of you are aware this can create problems and accidents. Thankfully it only cost me time...Oh and a small flesh wound, no biggy really. However, the time I spent taking things further apart mid way through when things were in a bind could have entirely been alleviated had I done EVERYTHING before attempting removal. The point here is remove as much as possible before attempting removal, it will save time and possibly stress.

Things to remember, there are a bajillion little connections on an engine make sure they are all unplugged and bungy corded out of the way.
Be sure to remove the transmission dipstick before you attempt removal, it will just make everything easier.
Think about your lifting apparatus if it doesn't have any other movement than up and down try to plan your chain hook up accordingly so the engine will come out as close to level as possible.
Or, simply remove the front clip and fenders, a little more time, but no concern about squeezing things through. On that same note, if this is done you can remove engine and transmission as one whole unit, look around on here you'll see it be done.
Lastly DO NOT hurry, especially when your lifting apparatus is diesel powered hydraulics. Thankfully I did not have any issues, but the hydraulics can make quick mince meat of any number of ATF lines, electrical connections, front clip, firewall, WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR (watch this one if your pulling a 6bt from a dodge, its a lovely tight squeeze).

Also, if you've never done one before, be sure to ask any and all questions to someone or a group of someones that will probably have the answer. I know pride may get in the way, but it could save you money in sheet metal or any other number of things. I would also recommend an extra set of hands if you can find them, if not go slow and always pay close attention to where the motor is at in regards to the body of your rig.

Now, here is from today!

The tractor made slick work of the removal!

Now who wants this body? I would love to have it gone.

Next steps are minor things to the 12 valve, such as valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, valve adjustment, killer dowel pin fix, thorough washing, fluid change :) possibly rear main seal, what else do you all recommend? Also, reputable source for such parts? I know, there all over the internet but yous guys have purchased from a number of them and know the good and the bad.

While that is going on the crew cab will begun its gutting, mainly get the engine, transmission, and transfer case out, so I can get the Cummins back in there.

Also, anybody have a getrag or NV4500 with transfer case they would like to part with?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:58:38 AM by wyorunner »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
I like it.

Seeing motors show up is a solid step forward

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 12:51:48 AM »
Made some more progress this week, was able to get the 440 and so I thought NP435 out. Turns out its not an NP435, its a 4530 also seen it as a 445. No idea what its worth or it compatibility so if you have any info on this please let me know, or if you want it that would be good to. All I know is it has a 4.56 first according to tag and some research.

Pretty close to being ready to come out here.

In the process of getting there I found all this sadness

The bolts holding the front core support on, one of them was not even attached, the others just pulled through the clips. The bottom three are from the passenger side and were still removable.

None of that was a huge cause for concern, because the front clip is going to have to be modified anyways, or maybe just have a custom radiator and intercooler built...Yea Ill probably modify the front clip. In further workings what I found was what made me concerned.

This pile of sadness here is in the rocker panel on the passenger side, any suggestions on how to be able to cut that inside chunk out and repair it? Looking at it seems there are two layers in this tunnel, the outside piece closest to the frame, then this middle section that is completely rusted through. Also realized the magnitude of the entire floorboard needing to be replaced.

Moving along came this positive moment,

Lastly there was this findings when I was done loading moving and jockeying everything around.

Hopefully somebody smarter than can give me the skinny on this four speed. Sorry theres nothing technical for you to learn. Should come down the road.

OldKooT

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 07:22:21 AM »
Bummer on the floor rust....the crew cab floors are a bit different than standard cab floors.

The 445 was a optional close ratio 4 spd in the early 70's. It was often ordered for snow plowing and camper hauling. The ratio splits made all 4 gears more useful in a largely "empty" truck. Ie you could use first, and 3rd gear was highway friendly when climbing hills.  Gear ratios are 1st 4.56, 2nd 2.28, 3rd 1.31, 4th 1:1. If you had a big block powered Dodge with a slide in camper and did much hill climbing, this was the transmission to use.

It is a bit "rare" although I guess in all honesty most people don't have much use for them LoL Especially given the divorced mounting issue, it's range of applications is limited.

On a Dodge I think I did mention to you the wisdom of front clip removal before engine yanking. Do make sure to do this on your Cummins truck. Also remove the wiper motor, and the brake line clip on the engine cross-member under the oil pan.

Gasket info: Buy a Fel Pro bottom end kit, they work fine with proper installation. In fact, I could argue they work better in so far as the pan gasket/front seal. Anything attached to the head area, buy it from Case-IH/Cummins. Case being much more thrifty BTW. Exception to this rule are the "blue" Fel-pro valve cover gaskets...I use these instead of the Cummins gaskets on my builds with great luck.

Kill that KDP, lock tight yr timing cover bolts behind the gears, and toss it in.

I'd contact Hungry Diesel in Idaho and buy one of his low pressure lift pump kits. Go back to Case/IH buy a "nipple"  Case IH part #J925954 this will allow you to use a OEM fuel filter, and eliminate the fuel heater you no longer can buy parts for, and always leaks at the worse possible time. (if this hasn't already been done)

If looking for something to do while stalled on other aspects of the project... rebuild the OEM starter (if its still on there) and use a "upgrade" http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/starters/rebuild-kits.html read some on that page, you'll get the idea. I highly advise doing this BEFORE it craps. If it doesn't have a OEM starter.... find one LoL

Other little tidbits: The oil seal between the vac pump and the P/S pump usually leaks. Or it will soon....LoL I'd prolly replace that if your keeping the vac boosted brakes. Also label your motor mount brackets/mounts L or R side so you don't confuse them somehow if you remove them...you have no idea how many do this LoL

Oh yeah... tappet cover seal, replace this using a OEM Case/Cummins gasket. This will also leak...and anger you to no end if you don't replace it now.

that should keep you busy for a while....

On your rust issues...I warned you about this =P  Ok... that said, Do yourself a fav now and consider your facilities and skill levels and equipment. If you are ambitious you can use the front half of the floors and firewall from the club cab. A few spot weld cutters, some patience and a lot of grunt work and you'd have a nice solid fix. Another point of interest...IF you also find roof rust....the front half of that club cab roof is the same as the crews...I would first thing...remove every stitch of seam sealer from the roof seams and look close for corrosion. This will fubar your paint...but your in this deep. LoL Roof seam leaks are the #1 cause of floor rust in these trucks, cowl cracks being the second reason... many have both.

What I am saying is..... you may want to hang onto that club cab a while yet. It may turn out to be exactly the parts truck you needed.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »
Bummer on the floor rust....the crew cab floors are a bit different than standard cab floors.

By a bit do you mean won't fit without lots of work or just needs a little extra love?

The 445 was a optional close ratio 4 spd in the early 70's. It was often ordered for snow plowing and camper hauling. The ratio splits made all 4 gears more useful in a largely "empty" truck. Ie you could use first, and 3rd gear was highway friendly when climbing hills.  Gear ratios are 1st 4.56, 2nd 2.28, 3rd 1.31, 4th 1:1. If you had a big block powered Dodge with a slide in camper and did much hill climbing, this was the transmission to use.

It is a bit "rare" although I guess in all honesty most people don't have much use for them LoL Especially given the divorced mounting issue, it's range of applications is limited.

Works well as a pallet anchor or dirt desk ornament.

On a Dodge I think I did mention to you the wisdom of front clip removal before engine yanking. Do make sure to do this on your Cummins truck. Also remove the wiper motor, and the brake line clip on the engine cross-member under the oil pan.

You did, sadly I'm an idiot and did not listen or remember, so I made it more difficult that it needed to be. Got it out without breaking anything though, thankfully.

Gasket info: Buy a Fel Pro bottom end kit, they work fine with proper installation. In fact, I could argue they work better in so far as the pan gasket/front seal. Anything attached to the head area, buy it from Case-IH/Cummins. Case being much more thrifty BTW. Exception to this rule are the "blue" Fel-pro valve cover gaskets...I use these instead of the Cummins gaskets on my builds with great luck.

This is great news, thanks!

Kill that KDP, lock tight yr timing cover bolts behind the gears, and toss it in.

On the list.

I'd contact Hungry Diesel in Idaho and buy one of his low pressure lift pump kits. Go back to Case/IH buy a "nipple"  Case IH part #J925954 this will allow you to use a OEM fuel filter, and eliminate the fuel heater you no longer can buy parts for, and always leaks at the worse possible time. (if this hasn't already been done)

Thanks for the heads up will add to the list.

If looking for something to do while stalled on other aspects of the project... rebuild the OEM starter (if its still on there) and use a "upgrade" http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/starters/rebuild-kits.html read some on that page, you'll get the idea. I highly advise doing this BEFORE it craps. If it doesn't have a OEM starter.... find one LoL

Don't know if it is the OEM, will investigate and make note of it.

Other little tidbits: The oil seal between the vac pump and the P/S pump usually leaks. Or it will soon....LoL I'd prolly replace that if your keeping the vac boosted brakes. Also label your motor mount brackets/mounts L or R side so you don't confuse them somehow if you remove them...you have no idea how many do this LoL

Going to save the vac boost for the time being, once its driving, ill be upgrading to hydroboost.

Oh yeah... tappet cover seal, replace this using a OEM Case/Cummins gasket. This will also leak...and anger you to no end if you don't replace it now.

that should keep you busy for a while....

On your rust issues...I warned you about this =P  Ok... that said, Do yourself a fav now and consider your facilities and skill levels and equipment. If you are ambitious you can use the front half of the floors and firewall from the club cab. A few spot weld cutters, some patience and a lot of grunt work and you'd have a nice solid fix. Another point of interest...IF you also find roof rust....the front half of that club cab roof is the same as the crews...I would first thing...remove every stitch of seam sealer from the roof seams and look close for corrosion. This will fubar your paint...but your in this deep. LoL Roof seam leaks are the #1 cause of floor rust in these trucks, cowl cracks being the second reason... many have both.

What sucks about this, is the rust that I found, and small cowl cracks I couldn't have found without taking it apart, sadly. Now, facilities not enough room right now for half cab mating, skills, yea I'd probably make it through it... But it would not look factory I'm afraid. Floor/firewall will be doing the floor for sure, fire wall, have to think about this one. May go the route the orange crew cab did and cut the entire thing out and replace it with 16ga. Seem sealer, Haven't gotten to this yet (cab is getting stripped in the next week or so), but the previous owner said he cleaned it all up when he first got it and re sealed it. Do I believe this, not fully but there is no paint cracking or flaking from the rust in the gutter so its very possible that all my floor problems came from the hidden cowl cracks. I am currently trying to figure out how to juggle two pallets of parts that are being stored on the flat bed, then take the truck out of the garage, cab off then back in garage then everything in its respective spots will be taken down to bare metal to find all issues, issues fixed, then painted. Honestly, wife and I did not want to go this far into it yet, really just wanted to get it running, But the floor is just too much of a cobbled together mess and needs to be fixed correctly, not with rivets and expanding foam. Still have faith in the truck, just have to create a cut and dry fixing plan.

What I am saying is..... you may want to hang onto that club cab a while yet. It may turn out to be exactly the parts truck you needed.

This is the second time I heard this today, and am most certainly heeding this advice.

Norm, as always, thank you for your input it is much appreciated, as I am just a new kid in town with the basic know how of how to be dangerous with a vehicle. Maybe an ambitious project, but when it is wanted by you and your wife, you find a way to make it happen, and that is what I will be doing.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 03:32:22 AM »
Thats worth a copy in your notes,.,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
One thing I was thinking.... toss us some pictures here of your floor issues, lets see what you have to work with.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2015, 01:17:09 AM »
Outside the frame rail passenger side under the front door.

Front of the transmission tunnel just where the cab curves back, passenger side.

Showing how the previous owner attached the two floor pans, these rivets are a common sight.

Drivers side transmission tunnel just as the cab curves back under the firewall.

Under the drivers feet.

Drivers seat area, right above transmission mount, used pieces of the original fenders or the bed. The fenders on this truck are probably from LMC or someone like them.

Outside the frame rail, drivers side, B pillar area.

Outside the frame rail, drivers side, directly below drivers door,  this piece is huge. You might be able to see the attempt to remove the bad rust where it was cut just at edge of the door and then re-floorpanned, guessing that was the intent. Again, more fender or bed was use in conjunction with one of them floor pans from LMC or someone like them (is there anybody besides LMC that sells body parts like this?).

Close up of the new floor pan that was riveted, caulked, and foamed in.

These kind of give you an idea of what I am working with. When I push the truck back out of the garage to wash some of it, I'll get under there and wash the dirt off and maybe get some more/better pictures. Or I might just wait until I have the cab off and stripped, then we will be able to see the true ugliness. Didn't think it was this bad when I purchased it, but I also wanted to just get back on the road. Serves me right for rushing through the sale I suppose. Oh well, lots will be learned. Hopefully, Ill be able to get my wife involved in some of the cutting and pasting, then a WHOLE LOT will be learned, as she has only ever taken things apart with me, never put them back together. Shoot, it is going to be her daily driver after its done anyways, would be good for her to get her hands dirty and involved, oh and its always awesome getting the household boss involved in the project!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2015, 10:01:02 PM »
Umm, that's errr, ugly...

Lots of work correcting that mess!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal