Hello Guest

Author Topic: concrete raised beds  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
concrete raised beds
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:34:47 PM »
Pictures taken this spring before planting. The steel water tanks worked out great. This is the second year for them. The bottoms are rusted out so they are no good for anything but this.
The concrete feed bunks are left over from when we had cattle here and from when we updated our cattle handling facility on the other place. They worked out fairly well. I was worried that dirt would plug the cracks and not allow water to drain. I have the opposite problem. I have to go back and dig the dirt out of every seam and seal it somehow. Water runs right through. I think it has harmed my yeald on the tomatoes. As a matter fact i know it has. I tried to fill the cracks with expansion foam but didn't work very well. On the side it worked but the bottom it just fell out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:36:09 PM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: concrete raised beds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
the biggest thing I would be worried about with the concrete troughs is the moisture in the soil when the freeze hits and it cracks everything to boo boo and the troughs become useless?

i love the water tank idea, because like you said "they are not good for anything else".
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
What time of year, and what state is that Jon?

Looks pretty early...Last frost come and gone?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »
This was in may. In Nebraska.

If they freeze and break then so be it. I do have a quite a bit of work into them but I used a pay loader to move and fill them. Not a ton of manual labor. Its an experiment. The year is not over yet. So far so good. Just need a little modification that I stated I the previous comment.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »
I understand that there is not a whole lot of manual labor invested so far, but I guess in my recommendation I would not take for granted that they have been banged around per sey and try to make them last as long as possible?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:27:56 PM »
Pretty neat idea, Jon.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:47 AM »
We ended up with a whole pile that broke when I moved them. These are more heavy duty but time will tell. I hope it works out I want to put in another line next spring. I just have the down hill end plugged with a board. Im thinkng I will have to drill a drain hole once I get the cracks sealed up.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:19:42 AM by Farmer Jon »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal