VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

Power steering leak?

<< < (2/8) > >>

EL TATE:
Lots of horror story posts on the dmax forum about power steering pump issues. sudden loss of power steering and breaks due to shearing of pump shafts. I would inspect very carefully, as it doesn't seem to take much.

KensAuto:
The ones I've seen shear, have been internal....no previous noise, usually no rattle, just failed all at once. Weird...the older versions of that pump (pre 99) never seemed to have shearing issues (in my experience anyways).

Sammconn:
Well I lived the loss of power steering and brakes on day on the 'road'.
Mustn't have tightened one of the new lines enough. Loosened up dumped the oil and there I was.
This was where the oils addition to Don's supplies post came from.

So the pump has been stressed with the no oil situation.
Is one brand better than another?
I read of all kinds of issues with replacements too.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on August 26, 2015, 12:15:09 PM ---The ones I've seen shear, have been internal....no previous noise, usually no rattle, just failed all at once. Weird...the older versions of that pump (pre 99) never seemed to have shearing issues (in my experience anyways).

--- End quote ---
Later versions sourced from the new plant in the China???

EL TATE:
looks like all this power steering talk has a viral effect. i'll be replacing my low pressure line this weekend. started leaking last weekend on our camping trip but I had some trouble backing up the trailer and thought I had over-cranked the steering and made it burp. Nope, it's at the factory crimp on the driver's side line coming from the hydroboost unit to the pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version