Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dually tires  (Read 240 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Dually tires
« on: April 15, 2024, 10:39:45 AM »
OK as is with everything I have ever owned, even a few things I didn't actually own, I tend to change up things rather early in the life of the "whatever."

I do not like these skinny little roller disc tires that came stock on my 3500 Ram.

Stock size is 235/80-R17 mounted on 6" wide factory aluminum and steel wheels.

After reading the forums some, I see that the biggest tire I can fit onto that wheel and not rub in the back is a 255/80 R17. The nice thing about that is the 255 is 33.1" in diameter and comes in the BFG KO2 which is the tire I want.

But that looks kinda of small and I am starting with a pretty deep 4.10 gear and the powerful HO engine making a stock 1050 ft/lbs.

The forums advise tires larger in diameter and require the use of a 1.5" or 2" spacer for the outboard rear wheels. Not so sure if I am a fan of that.

The limiting factor seems to be with the 6" wide factory wheels which will certainly not allow a much wider tire to properly spread out.

I am looking for some ideas about which direction to go. I will be adding the Carli to level it up and get the good shocks so I may even have more wheel well clearance although the 255/80 will not interfere with anything on a dually

Ideas?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Dually tires
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »
Lots of tire companies make a 255/80r17

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/255-80R17.htm

That keeps ya 33” tall but only 10.5 wide

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 02:48:59 PM »
Lots of tire companies make a 255/80r17

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/255-80R17.htm

That keeps ya 33” tall but only 10.5 wide
Roger that

And that seems where I am landing without getting something that is too wide to properly fit the rims. I do not want to buy custom rims at the moment but I do want to get a slightly taller tire on there to 1. Cut the gear ratio back some, 2. Look a tad bit better, and 3. Swap the Nexens out for my current tire choice which is the BF Goodrich KO2 All terrains

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 02:59:03 PM »
I do not have a pic of the BFG KO2's but these other BFG's are looking good. A little better, spec wise are the Goodyear Duratracs. Also on my list are Toyos, Yokohama's, and Falken Wildpeak tires.

This will likely be my next-to-forever pick since I will have to buy 7 to fully reshoe the Dually.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 02:37:00 PM »
Dave, that was a good link for sure.

I picked my tires

Toyo Open Country RT, in size 255/80 R17

It is super highly rated and built in the USA. It stands 33.1" tall which is almost 2" taller than the stock 235 Nexen stock tires. That will reduce my gear ratio a little which I want without making the truck sluggish.

After getting the warning about the Nexens. I asked around and got mixed reviews, but when I started looking on the truck camper forums there was no shortage of people with a dually carrying 4K in the bed who experienced belt separation. I am not going to take that chance so I have just ordered seven of the new Toyos.

Oddly, I found the lowest price at my local Walmart. I feel dirty going into that store, but, hey, they have great tire prices!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 06:50:49 AM »
Good looking tires

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal