Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2000 Dodge Cummins NV4500  (Read 1384 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
2000 Dodge Cummins NV4500
« on: November 03, 2015, 08:52:35 AM »
Took a truck for a test drive the other day, and the shift lever had quite a bit of movement in it, even when in gear. When I got backed up and was headed out the driveway, I couldn't get it to shift gears, too much play in the shift lever. Eventually it felt like it must have popped out of the notch altogether and was more or less flopping around. Truck drove fine in the gears I was able to get it in. Would this fix be more related to the shift lever and tower do you think? Truck itself it in really good shape for year. One-owner, well maintained. High miles, about 325k miles, but starts really easy, no smoke at all, runs great. Undercoated it's whole life. Quad cab and front doors have a little sag, but that's to be expected for a 15 year old truck I guess. I figure it would still be good if I could get a good price?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Dodge Cummins NV4500
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »
Sounds like just the shifter/ball socket...maybe some detent issues. It's hard to know without taking it apart. I don't work on transmissions, but know a little about them.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
Yeah that's sort of what I'm thinking/hoping as well. I guess it would at least be easier to work on that an auto (at least for me), so Id have that in my favor. Would a swap to a 5600 be possible/easy. Would it just be a matter of taking one out and bolting the other in? Or would it even be worth it?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
I would agree, some slop might be in the tower. The NV4500 looks like many HD trannies and all the shifting mechanism is bolted on up top.

I redid my old 465 and it was no big deal, but you have to pull it if anything but the lever itself.

A quick search showed both the tower and a rebuild kit were about $100 each.

It worked for 325K, why mess with it.

Pull it, rebuild, install a new clutch and be done.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
Yeah might be a good idea. It did already have a new clutch put in, so it shouldn't be too serious of a job!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal