Hello Guest

Author Topic: Goobered up leg  (Read 7819 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Goobered up leg
« on: November 30, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »
Well, after having my sciatic flare up about 2 weeks ago I was back on my feet, or so I thought.

Using my little auger I hit a cement post I thought the pool guys had dug out. When it caught I let go but somehow I got a leg to close and wham. Felt like I got hit by a bat. I cussed and limped around (no one was home) and got the auger out and put away. The handle that got me was just about a ft from the motor and covered in rubber.

It felt numb, didn't break the skin but was begining to swell quite a bit. I took a motrin and called it a day. Later that night it was really starting to talk to me. I big welt appeared and the lower leg was begining to swell too. I had a day trip to Reno planned and would darned if a sore leg was going to stop me. This included a after hours invite to Cabelas just before thankgiving.

The trip goes good (albeit in spurts) and thanksgiving is good, but the leg is not feeling better, so I give Kaiser a call and they get me in in less than an hour. Next thing I know I am sent to the ER for treatment and spend the next 6 hours there. Blood tests, IV for meds, ultrasound for clots, probing with a big ol needle for any fluids (none) and my arse in pain from the ER bed!! Can't bend the knee anywhere near 90 and told sitting is the worst thing for it, which is what I did almost the whole time up to this point.

So now I have been in beed for the last 4 days, lag propped up over my head. Putting pressure on the leg feels like someone is dragging up down the leg. Finally dragging my laptop from the garage as I am going stir crazy and have been movied out!

Heres a few pics of it from right after the hit to today. I can bent the knee at least enough to put socks on now and standing is not an event. Now having never been shot (but seeing a few), I believe this would be the same shock trauma you would see to surrounding tissue. My leg was rock hard from the knee to the groin showing bruising all around. After 3 days I am off the narcs just so I could sleep or move some.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Goobered up leg
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:35:12 PM »
Wow, that's turned out rough.
At least it sounds like you'll be GTG eventually.

I'd've never thought it would get this ugly either. 
It a heck of a lot of trauma I suppose tho.

Take it easy and heal up.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »
did they say if you ruptured or damaged the femoral artery?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:12:23 PM »
Wow, I think that last pic looks just as bad as the first one. You would think something would change after a couple weeks.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »
Nate that was my thought.  The body is made to protect vital areas, in this case the femoral artery inside the leg behind bone and muscle.  That must have been a massive impact with potential to cause internal bleeding in a major artery and the risk of a clot.

JR, its funny how we seem to get more accident prone as we get older....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
Nate that was my thought.  The body is made to protect vital areas, in this case the femoral artery inside the leg behind bone and muscle.  That must have been a massive impact with potential to cause internal bleeding in a major artery and the risk of a clot.

JR, its funny how we seem to get more accident prone as we get older....
Wouldn't know anything about that!

JR,
I'd pay attention to that
Blood clot thing
Any severe pain behind the knee, go to the emergency room
I don't want to say why I know, wasn't me, but twice now I've seen the results of that...

Don't get completely cavalier over a contusion that massive

Father God, look over this humble servant and find him to good health and clearing of all damage of his leg.
In the name of Jesus I ask, Amen!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:00:41 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't think we get more accident prone, we just take longer to heal and bruise easier.

As for the clotting, they did ultrasounds to look for that, all clear. It is getting better, but slow. The only bad area now is just at the impact site, looks about the same with a big scab on it. Bleeding got all the way down to the ankle, could see it at the ER.

Pain did go down to the foot when I got up (stabbing pain from knee to foot). Now it is just a little, but the foot is tingly and numb and swells alot if I move around for anytime. No real unless I am sitting, walking is just uncomfortable. Just using motrin and excedrin for flairups that keep me awake.

I think the real culprit is the swelling. That is restricting bloodflow and pinching the nerve. As long as I keep it elevated, all is good cept I get sore and nothing gets done.

Here is how it looks right now. Figure I will be moving better buy the weekend. The swelled are is about the size of my hand and solid all way down to the bone.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
That is just gnarly there JR. I FEEL your pain.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
As my dear departed grandfather would say....

You know....that could have been worse......it could have been me.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »
Well I so laid back as told for a few days. Took all my meds and got off the narco a few days ago. Swelling is down, pain better but getting red around the scab area.

Getting pain in the ankle and having a little issue sleeping. Missed a hike in the Muir woods with my son. Had an appt next Tuesday but this thing does not look that good, so I run down the ER to have them look at it.

More scans, LOTS of blood and they ask when was the last time you ate?? Err what,,,,,

We need to go in and clean that thing out. You have clotting and an abcess. So now I am sitting in the ER waiting 8 hours as I ate just before I came in. So at 0200 I go get cut open,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Errrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »
Hope you get to feeling better soon brother!
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »
Prayers sent- let us know that you're outta surgery..........wishing you a speedy recovery from surgery and a rapid discharge from the hospital!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 09:00:59 AM »
Prayers that the Lord gives the Drs the wisdom and skill to heal you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
Prayers sent....I'm glad you went in when you did.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »
Thx guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

So at 0200 I am wheeled down to the OR. I wake up and almost had to be restrained as there was so much crud in my airway I couldn't take a breath.

Anyway, now sitting waiting to get discharged after I prove I can change the dressing.

Here is what it looked like going in, and how it looks now;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
That's pretty.  Practice sterile dressing change protocols.  Don't need MRSA or something else.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
Confirmation: that is NOT cheesy grits..........!  JR, glad you're up and awake, keep it all clean and get the heck outta that petri dish!  Heal quick and wishing you little pain!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »
Keep it clean, very clean. Sorry you are going through this.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
Wow. You drop some popcorn in there JR? Better cover it back up or you'll lose your keys as well!

Just kidding, but....

Hurry up and get better, you got work to do !!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »
Thanks again guys. That is when they first opened it this morning (no more gross shots)

It does look nasty, but they want it to heal from the inside out. Not quite as bad now and am home. I can walk fine, but loaded up on narc for now and horse pills for the infection.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »
Hey buddy, just catching up with all of this

First, get well quick!

Second, Don't get that infected

Third, someone drop some raspberries in that hole!

I guess the swelling is parting the incision? Looks like it's begging for some stitches!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
Follow instructions and get well quick.  Praying here for you and the family.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 09:43:17 AM »
Thanks again guys. That is when they first opened it this morning (no more gross shots)

No more gross shots...??  :o Whenever I am hungry for a snack I just come to this thread and it takes care of my hunger pangs in a second!

Get well soon JR.  ;D
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 10:12:23 AM »
JR, take heed with the dressings, that is begging for infections, so do be careful.
I had a buddy that needed to heal from inside out such as you are now, its not a good situation to be in, but at least its looked after now.

Now you need to look after it until it heals up.
Get well soon, and then carry on with your projects.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
Dad had one of those from a bad surgical mesh reconnecting his snapped Achilles tendon. be careful JR; infection on something that deep is a nasty thing. Sorry you're having to go through this, especially during the holidays. Praying for ya.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »
I am changing the dressing a couple times a day, or as needed when soaked.

They had a training video, then hands on, then the dr checked it again, then I went home.

They want it to heal from the inside out. So alot of cleaning, stuffing and covering. I have no hair left on the leg now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 01:45:20 PM »
Just make sure you do it right. you don't want to wind up with the Vacuum assisted wound closure pump things.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
I am being anal about the cleaning and dressing. THX

Vacuum pump, err,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :o

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »
vacuum pump is correct.  an awful piece of equipment.  https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vacuum+wound+pump
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
We could weld some attachment points for that vacuum pump. Say a fishing rod holder for starters, or how's about a base for a food tray which converts into a mini desk, or a solar panel, What about a.... :o

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal