Hello Guest

Author Topic: BWST - (Basic Wilderness Survival Training)  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
BWST - (Basic Wilderness Survival Training)
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
Hello all. My name is Sam, I've been in the backgorund 'lurking' over on DF. Posed the topic to 'Big D' and he liked it, so here we go.

I am a Canadian Ranger, no not a bit like the US Army ranger, whole different concept. We are a part of the CF reserves, and are the military’s eyes and ears in the sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada. Appropriately, our motto is Vigilans, meaning “The Watchers.”
I currently live in northern Manitoba, and have been serving since 2001 with the Rangers.

We provide many services to our communities,  the Junior Canadian Rangers (JCR) Program, a program that that gets the youth out and out of trouble, support and participate in events in the local community such Canada Day, and Remembrance Day.
As well we assist with sovereignty and domestic operations, report suspicious and unusual activities, collect local data of military significance.
Conduct coastal and inland water surveillance, provide local knowledge and expertise, participate in search and rescue operations, provide support in response to disasters and humanitarian operations, and assistance to federal, provincial/territorial or municipal authorities.

Here is a link to where the above information came from, and more information about the Rangers.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/canadian-rangers/about.page

Given our unique environment in the area of northern Manitoba I call home, there are many challenges for travelling on the land. In the summer months, we are in an area of lakes, rivers, swamps (Read lots of water) and in the bush, edge of the boreal forrest, and into Canadian Shield.  I have trees at home, but not all that far north is the tree line and then the open tundra.
All sounds easy enough, but travelling in the summer months over floating bog through a swamp to get to a stream crossing...well you get the picture. This is where the Rangers come into play to provide the knowledge to the army group invloved to be able to reach their point of interest.

Then there is winter, I love winter and the cold and is probably why I call this home. Winter starts anytime around the end of October officially, as in the snow will likely stay, and ends sometime in May, and even into June some years. We'll typically see a stretch of a few weeks that does not see above -40, and then there's the wind.

Winter brings the ability to travel on the land just about anywhere you want to go, but even with the cold we still manage to find open water in some areas.
We have several northern response groups in the Canadian Military, and work with them quite regularly. The last large scale exercise took two different groups (somwhere around 200 personnel, 120+ machines)  from Churchill, Manitoba up to the 60th parrallel. To say it was an adventure would be an understatement, but the Rangers took two large companies 200 odd miles across nothing to their primary goal. There the Rangers from up north met up with us to take the one unit another 200 miles further north to Arviat.

So some of the work up for the army groups included: snowmobile training, winter ops training, and the topic of this thread BWST, among others.
Over the next while I will be adding the meat and potatoes of what we do for the BWST courses that we offer to the forces, as well as what some of the other patrols do differently.

Also, once I track down pictures I will add them into the mix.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:43:23 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: BWST - (Basic Wilderness Survival Training)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
I am going to break training down into lessons for ease of reading, and at the end will do a general 'how it goes down' on the ground with the troops.

Lesson 1 - Survival Psychology

1.   Survival Weapons:

a.   fear (positive fear which keeps you going)
   b.   knowledge and experience
   c.   concentration on task at hand
   d.   confidence in SAR
   e.   will to live

2.   Enemies Of Survival:

a.   pain
b.   cold
c.   thirst
d.   hunger
e.   fatigue
f.   boredom and loneliness

3.   Desirable Attributes:

a.   hope for best and plan for worst (FA kit, Survival kit, dress for weather)
b.   be decisive
c.   improvise
d.   can live with self
e.   patience
f.   can adapt
g.   control fear
h.   endure setbacks
i.   knowledge and
j.   practice of the SURVIVAL PATTERN:
   (1)   FIRST AID
   (2)   FIRE
   (3)   SHELTER
   (4)   SIGNALS and
   (5)   WATER AND FOOD.

Notes: the survival pattern and the order in which this pattern is executed will depend on the environment you are in (Arctic, Desert, Temperate and Jungle).  Prior knowledge of area you are going to be in can be beneficial in your planning and equipment.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:49:15 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:50:12 PM »
Lesson 2 - Fire

1.   The importance of fire and how it fits into the Survival Pattern:

a.   warmth;
b.   drying of clothing and equipment;
d.   cooking and water purification;
e.   signals;
f.   animal deterrent; and
g.   moral.

2.   Requirements for a successful fire (spark, air and fuel).

3.   Location: 

a.   not under a snow laden tree, or in the wind or on soggy and wet ground; and
b.   look for area with cover and protection as well as in area of proposed shelter.   

4.   Gathering of material:

a.   Tinder (match stick size) in area (put in pocket to keep dry as you travel;
b.   Twig bundle (tinder gathered, tied and fast burning material stuffed in middle like birch bark or old man beard);
c.   Kindling standing dead (not green or ground soaked);
d.   Fuel logs, dead and dryer wood;
e.   Large quantities of each is necessary before lighting/building their fires;
f.   Suitable base both built (crisscross green logs) and natural (rock or clay ground,    etc); and
g.   Avoid building into peat areas or at base of trees to avoid underground fires.

5.   Building of the fire: 

a.   Once material is gathered in sufficient quantities, light match/candle then add tinder then kindling then fuel;
b.   Other methods of lighting: with flint using cotton balls and magnesium, etc;
c.   For ease and efficiency, do not waste time chopping fuel.  Feed logs into the fire;
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Lesson 3 - Shelter

1.   Shelter is next in the Survival Pattern.

2.   Location Criteria:
a.   prevailing wind direction across front;
b.   avoid  hazards:
(1)   dead heads;
(2)   dry stream beds;
(3)   shores of rivers;
(4)   under cornices from base of hills;
(5)   game trails;
(6)   tidal flats;
c.   in vicinity of water source, and materials required;
d.   in cover of tree line or terrain;

3.   Stages of building a lean-to shelter, from ridge pole to framing and bough placement:
a.   sturdy trees and ridgepole;
b.   ridgepole with weight into trees and tied securely with strong cordage;
c.   frame can be woven instead of tied;
d.   ensure it is deep enough for height of person using;
e.   boughs placed tips down (show natural shape of bough and water shedding    capabilities);
f.   boughs woven into each other to 8 inch thick (no light showing)
g.   log in front of shelter approx 5 inch diameter, bough bed to at least height of front log; and
h.   lean-to is meant to be used in conjunction with a fire.

4.   Improvised Shelters:
   a.   Manmade:
(1)   tarp or material;
(2)   typical biv style;
(3)   not necessary to be 100% waterproof.  Angularity (60-45 degrees) and tightness is main principal for water shedding; and
(4)   double layer is desirable (inner for condensation outer for rain not touching each other).
b.   Natural:
(1)   quick move into as is, with minor adjustments;
(2)   fallen tree, root buttress, cave, rock formation, snow cave, etc; and
      (3)   stability is issue and must be carefully looked at.

Notes:  Shelters require constant improvements and adding of boughs regularly.  Shelter is only as good as you make it and what you put into it. 
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
Lesson 4 - Signals

1.   Signals are the next phase in the Survival Pattern.

2.   Location:
   a.   in vicinity of camp; and
   b.   in open area (as clear as possible);

3.   The tri-pod smoke signal and the theory behind:

a.   Tri-pod approx 6 ft high;
b.   use cordage or wire to tie off;
c.   platform 2 to 3 ft off ground and tied off each leg;
d.   twig bundles and dry tinder stuffed into cavity;
e.   boughs (same principal as shelter) placed to keep tinder dry and generate smoke;
f.   ignition spot on side with abundance of very dry tinder;
g.   smoke signal must create a lot of heat very fast and this heat is what pushes the smoke up and above the tree canopy.

9.   Ground to air signals:

a.   proportion is 6-1 (every 6 meter wide, it is 1 meter long);
   b.   lay boughs down then push the snow directly beside it to create shadow (winter);
   contrasting material used in summer (whites/reds depending on surroundings)
   c.   it must NOT look natural on the ground as it will look that way from above.

10.   The rule of 3 for signalling to draw attention to your location:

a.   3 gunshots;
b.   3 fires in line or triangle;
c.   3 whistle blasts.

11.   Signal mirror:

a.   catch the sun through aim hole then place sun spot on thumb;
   b.   aim thumb at windshield of aircraft and drop thumb; and
   c.   can be seen for miles.

12.   Night signalling:

a.   Chemlite on string and whirl above head for night signal; and
b.   maintaining a fire all night is also a useful night signal.

Notes:  Increase footprint on the land by placing signs and notes along trails in hopes that maybe a hunter or hiker may pass.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:54:50 PM »
Lesson 5 - Food and Water

Water and food are next in the survival pattern. 
There is another rule of three, you can survive:
   a.   3 minutes without air;
   b.   3 days without water; and
   c.   3 weeks without food.

WATER

1.   Water is more important than food and is a requirement for digestion (no water then no     food).  Requirement of at least 2.5L per day each (with zero activity, more if active).
   a. Procurement (many sources):
(1)   snow sites, find clean sites. Effects of eating snow.;
(2)   ice and open water (safety); and
(3)   never pass up an opportunity to top up your water.
    b. Purification:
(1)   protection from parasites (Guardia) and other impurities not removed by filtration is important for survival;
(2)   boil (rolling boil for at least 10 minutes);
(3)   chemical (chlorine, puritabs, iodine, follow directions);
(4)   store bought water filtration (read details and instructions and effectiveness); and
(5)   importance for water intake and purification to survive and prosper.

FOOD

2.   Without water, digestion shuts down when dehydrated.
a.   Snares:
   (1)   making snare, size and placement; and
   (2)   where to place in relation to habitat.

b.   Trails and sign for small game:
   (1)   rabbit run and snare;
   (2)   squirrel pole;
   (3)   a grouse pole and club;
   (4)   tackling game (especially large game); and
   (5)   fishing and lures.

c.   Plants and their uses:
   (1)   where and how they are found;
   (2)   you must know what you are eating (not everything is edible);
   (3)   any plants obtained from water (ie cattails) must be boiled prior to consumption;
   (4)   berry rule:  blue/black 90% are safe, red 50% are safe
         yellow/green/white 10% are safe; and
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
Lesson 6 - Tool care and Safety

1.   Tool safety and correct handling:

a.   All cutting and chopping will be done with gloves on;

b.   Axe:
      (1)   condition of axe (no deformities and sharp);
      (2)   selection of log to be cut safe cutting/limbing; and
      (3)    there is no wood cutting to be done at night.

c.   Knife:
   (1)   knife safe handling;
   (2)   folding locking blade;
   (3)   fixed blade; and
   (4)   cutting away from self and in safe direction.

d.   Tree falling:

a.   choosing direction tree will fall (safe direction);
   b.   method of felling (notch and cut method); and
   c.   ensure deflection of blade kept to minimum (clear axe travel front and back).

Note:  Safety and tool care.  Ensure tools are put away after use so as not to lose them. 
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
Now for how the course goes down.

We’ll generally have 7-8 Rangers available as instructors to each take on a lesson to deliver.
We start as a group, and one will deliver the Survival Psychology to everyone, while gathered around a completed ‘Survival Camp’. The camp includes a completed version of all of the stands, from a completed shelter, fire with water on to boil, a signal fire ready, basically everything we want to see in the students’ final product.
The shelter will be to the highest standard exactly as the lessons have laid out:
   a.   lean to will be complete;
   b.   bough bed will be thick; and
   c.   kit and equipment will be stored inside and tools in safe location.
The fire will be going:
   a.   wood pile will be sufficient to show how much is required for a single night stay;
   b.   a sufficient quantity of tinder will be kept inside shelter;
   c.   logs will be fed into fire vice chopped or cut;
   d.   fire wall/reflector will be in place to demonstrate its use;
   e.   fire will be in a safe location in relation to shelter (not too close);
   f.   there should be a Billy can with water simmering off a stick; and
   g.   there may be game cooking if time and resources permit.

We then break the students up into appropriate sized groups depending on numbers, and they disperse to each of the stands where they are shown the ‘How To’ portion. During each stand the students will actually do some hands on to ensure they are comfortable and capable. Which means start a fire with magnesium stick/candle. Shelters, each group adds a bit more to pre-started demos, etc.

The students pass through all of the previously mentioned stands; as well we include a skinning stand that covers the food available in the area, which includes grouse, squirrels, rabbits, and fish.
We go through the process of skinning, explaining as we go.
    Stressing the importance of a sharp knife. (A dull knife is a dangerous knife)
    There are many ways to skin, ensure yours is a safe way.
    Point out the edible parts as they are removed. (With fowl, remember eggs may be present, and    are a welcome addition if you catch them in time)
    Emphasize the areas which can contaminate meat (bladder, stomach contents and rectum).
    Ways to prepare the meat (roast or boil).

Once the round robin portion is completed, we muster back around the completed camp. We have a debrief on what has been delivered and give a pep talk to the troops. We will then light the signal fire at the demo camp to show how they work to the group.

At this point we will then pick the teams of 2 or 3 students, and ensure they don’t have any extra kit that may make their next 2 days easy.
During the round robins staff observes the group to determine ‘buddies’, and do our best to split them up.
We also strive to pair up weaker skilled students with ones we have seen with strong skills, as shared learning, and not wanting failure from the students.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:03:06 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
Kit List for our BWST students:

Each team to consist of 2 persons if possible.

1.   Tarp fire resistant (canvas only, used for protection from sparks onto nylon sleeping bags, not for shelter), approximately 5 by 7 feet minimum, one per team.
2.   Axe (fiberglass handle preferred), one per team
3.   Billy Can large (1 gallon tin can), one per team;
4.   IMP Meal (B, L or S), one per team;
5.   Waterproof Bag, 10.5 x 13.5 inches, Coghlan’s No. 8417, one per team, containing:
   a.   Space Blanket, Coghlan’s No. 8235, one per team member;
   b.   Snare Wire, 22 gauge by 25 feet Brass, one per team;
   c.   Water Purification Tablets, Katadyn Micropur MP1, 30 tablets per team;
   d.   Lypsol, one per team member;
   e.   Signal Mirror, NSN 6350-00-105-1252, one per team;
   f.    Arctic Candle, NSN 6260-21-104-9283, one per team;
   g.   Cord, 1/8 inch by 30 feet, NSN 4020-21-882-9701, one per team;
   h.   Chemical Light, White, NSN 6260-01-218-5146, two per team;
   i.    Emergency Fishing Kit, NSN 4220-21-806-2686, one per team;
   j.   Fire Starter, NSN 4240-01-160-5618, two per team.
   k.   Whistle, Foxpro 2 per team
   l.   Ground Air Emergency Code, NSN 7530-21-890-0622, two per team

Note:  These stores will be pre-positioned at the stand sites for issue to each team.  This, along with sleeping bag valise and the clothing on their backs, is all the students should have in the survival sites.  If the weather is above -5 C (23 F), and favorable, removal of sleeping bags may be merited in order to increase training value.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:00:03 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
Good outlines!

Tons there to think about!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:16:44 PM »
good info, cant wait to read more.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
So I've managed to locate some pictures from an exercise where we were the students.
This took place a few years ago, end of May/early June.
We were lucky that the frost was still in at about 2 feet below the water level.
This can be unpassable terrain at times, as the grass can be floating, and the holes seemingly bottomless.

We then had to traverse this small river, which meant building this bridge.
A bit of a chore, but just another thing we do. We pride ourselves in being able to get to point 'X' wherever it is.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
So we'll jump to shelter selection.
Everywhere in the woods you can find a good start point for a shelter.
Fallen trees, tree root balls, can all be easily found in my part of the world.
Other areas would include overhangs on hillside, caverns, caves. Each has their benefits to you, but also can be home to something else as well, so use caution if using these.

This tree fell as a perfect ridge pole for a lean to shelter.

Here is a root ball being used by another pair of guys.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
First step is to clear all of the limbs out of the way.

Then start adding in the 'rafters' which will become and support the roof.

You add in boughs layer upon layer, upside down from the way they grow, which helps shed water. Keep adding layers until you cannot see daylight through from inside.

On the left, you can see odds and ends of kindling and tinder. These are from all and any cutting and clearing done in the immediate area. The more you can squirrel away without using any energy, the better in the long run.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
So here we are, lean to all finished up for now.
Boughs have been added to the floor, not to final thickness yet. You want to have 6-8 inches for comfort as well as insulation from cold and wet.

Then the fire wall is added in.
It serves a couple purposes, deflects heat back at the shelter, and provides wind protection to the open front.

All finished up, still have most of our 30 feet of rope left. Leaning on the tree is a fish spear with a rope lanyard so you keep it. I'm on one knee here, shelter is about four feet tall, fire wall about two feet. The boughs inside are quite thick at this point, around 12-16 inches, as they will compress a lot.
Leaning against the tree out front is a fish spear with a lanyard attached.
We did not use it, but it would work in small water where you can see the fish.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
And a couple shots of the root ball shelter.

Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
We managed to snare a few rabbits, get some birds, and catch a few fish.

Cooking on a tripod over the fire.
We did a couple rabbits bacon wrapped, in foil on the coals as well.

Cleaning the fish at the river.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »
Looks like fun to me.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »
The signal fire construction. I had to group a few different signals to find the various stages.

The start, the tripod and tinder base.

Finished up, lots of green makes lots of smoke.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
This stuff is awesome

Excellent technique all,

And that old pine stump is full of turpentine that one can shave off to use as fire starter.

Good pics...good examples

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »
Here we go with the burn.

The start of the signals.

The view from back a ways. The fire needs to get hot fast to push the plume of smoke up high.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »
That's a terrible fire...way too much smoke  ;-))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
On a serious note, as a helo pilot out looking for survivors I would be looking for something like that.

I will say, though, the best signaling device I have ever seen is a signal mirror. But, one needs sunlight, and the gray overcast of a winter day will render that mirror useless. Therefore, that smoke plume is going to quickly move into the #1 spot from an aerial recognition perspective.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 07:49:32 PM »
Looks like fun to me.

Bobby, all of our exercises are a lot of fun.
Anyone with an ounce of outdoors loves being on ex with us, as a group there is so much come out every time. Always see something new.

The BWST course is as fun after the fact as it was trying during it.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
On a serious note, as a helo pilot out looking for survivors I would be looking for something like that.

I will say, though, the best signaling device I have ever seen is a signal mirror. But, one needs sunlight, and the gray overcast of a winter day will render that mirror useless. Therefore, that smoke plume is going to quickly move into the #1 spot from an aerial recognition perspective.

Winter time, we also stress to use something to blacken the smoke to help it stick out.
If SHTF and you find yourself in a situation like this, you got there somehow. (bike, snowmobile etc).
Use part of it, seat foam, oil, gas, plastics, as the smoke produced by these is jet black and will increase visibility of the smoke in the shades of grey of the environment.
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal