VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Bikes Motorcycles, S x S's, Tractors, and Mowers

DR-650 Build Thread Part 1

<< < (3/121) > >>

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: OVERWATCH_09 on September 15, 2014, 05:47:37 PM ---What are the plans for mounting on the truck? Standard hitch mounted rack or something else up your sleeve?

--- End quote ---

Definitely something else up me sleeves

Picture a 4' X 4" square tube hinged with a gigantic hinge, more like you'd find on a track loader affixed to the left side. It rests on a support on the right side of the bumper and is pinned vertically to retain it in position with a 1" through pin
Everything is close tolerance (No-slop) and has zerks
The hinge on the left side is multi-axis
Below the box tubing is a hydraulic jack, one end affixed to the hinge, the other to the section of 4 X 4
The top of the bar has fixtures to guide and capture the bike. The wheels will drop into large "Catches, through which a series of nylon protrude and affix to the bike in several locations. Those straps anchor in a lever affair that simply pushes down to lock the bike into place.

To deploy the bike: Lift up the lock pin. Rotate the bike left until it presents at about a 30 degree angle away from and relative to the Cl of the vehicle. Turn a valve to release hydraulic pressure and the end of the steel tube settles to the ground.
Release the straps in a predetermined sequence, then roll off the bike and it's ready to use

JR:
Looking good Don.

That setup for the carrier works good. I made one just like that about 20 years ago. Front had a rake to hold the front tire, rear did the same but also folded down for loading. I still found I needed a brace in the center for driving around though. Was on my 77 Jimmy lifted 6 inches with 36 inch Mickeys.

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: JR on September 16, 2014, 01:32:09 AM ---Looking good Don.

That setup for the carrier works good. I made one just like that about 20 years ago. Front had a rake to hold the front tire, rear did the same but also folded down for loading. I still found I needed a brace in the center for driving around though. Was on my 77 Jimmy lifted 6 inches with 36 inch Mickeys.

--- End quote ---

Cool JR
I plan to use 4" X 4" X .250" tubing
Plan to make the hinge out of some pins off my Case (28,000lb) Track Loader.
I don't think that will flex, and it will be supported and captured on either end
Think that will work?

Flyin6:
JR,
And question for ya
I am about to acquire one of thise 6.6 gallon Aceribus (or however you spell that name) fuel tanks
They tell me you can't paint it or put decals on it, because it seeps fumes from all over!
WHHHAAAAT?
Anyway, that is just a challenge.
I am going to paint it and decal it up with the cammo wrap
So me is thinkin' out loud
I'm thinking I spray the outer surface with an adhesion promoter first, then a primer, then a coat of paint. Perhaps even run some sort of sealant all around the inside of the tank to prevent this pesky migration of fuel molecules.
Concerns: Interior lines stuff flakes off and clogs the petcock/filter and we have sudden stoppage. Secondly, my paint and wrap falls off the tank just when and while some Harley guys are ridiculing the "Pretty Little" Jap bike...Not as a Harley owner, that I have ever done that....just sayin...

JR:
Order the color you want for that part. Trick is from what I have read i to paint and decal before you put gas in it. You need to use the porus decals.

I have a black tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version