Hello Guest

Author Topic: ground beef  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
ground beef
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
we have a 10.56lb select brisket getting cubed in preparation for making ground burger meat tomorrow.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: ground beef
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:33:20 PM »
It's delicious and worth it. We run a combo brisket/chuck/short rib and it's heaven. I like cooking in a commercial kitchen but miss having time to prep stuff for myself too. Thanks for making me hungry as always Nate.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
I go with just brisket, because when you start adding in other stuff like you posted you cannot tell any difference and the extra work and $$$ is for nothing?!

now don't get me wrong when it comes to operating space, I LOVE working in an industrial kitchen because of the room!  but in all reality, if you have a good kitchen setup like myself and kyle then you will not want to deal with industrial type stuff when it comes to cleaning / sanitation.

here are a few pics of my kitchen setup.  to be honest, I REALLY HATE the low counters!  when you stand 6'2" it really hurts your back having to bend over for a long time.  but when you have a wife that is vertically challenged and VERY TOP HEAVY you learn to deal with the low counters.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:31:56 AM »
Nate there's good and bad in everything.  ;)

Is that brisket you wouldn't otherwise cook as a brisket (BBQ)? just extra? Or do you find it is really superior as burger meat? Just curious.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
My home kitchen is similar in size, I just wish I had a sanitizer and full tile floor w/ central drain to hose down;-) I'm sure you're right on the single cut choice, but this is just what they get into the restaurant and I have no exemplar to compare to. Guess I'll just have to do some up myself and run a taste test!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Wilbur,
I use brisket because I don't have to add any additional fat like I would using another type of cut.  if you use a choice or select grade brisket, trim a bit of the really hard fat off and grind it, you will end up with basically 80/20 ground beef.

lets be real here, I am not trying to win any james beard awards for the house (different types of exotic cuts / meats) and when it comes to the all mighty $$$ brisket is already leaps and bounds above the lips and a$$h*&^s you get with regular ground beef.

now if I had true access to live cows, I would be buying a full side straight from the processor.  I would know what it was fed, inoculated with, and how it was handled / processed.

tate,
one of the things that will be implemented in my permanent residence will be a truly open kitchen with some industrial grade equipment as well as having a full working outdoor cooking / working area.

I forgot to take a pic of the end result.  out of the 10.56lb brisket I got exactly 9 lbs of finished product.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal