Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1393542 times)

Atkinsmatt and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #16050 on: December 01, 2021, 09:50:32 PM »
I am manual on the top link.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16051 on: December 04, 2021, 11:27:46 AM »
I got sucked in by some click bait on line today and found something interesting

Gun sales in November were down 25% YOY, likely because everyone already got armed.lol

Last 10 months.  State with the most gun sales:

Illinois at more than 7M

Kentucky has 1.3% of the nation’s population but had 17% of the gun sales in November and 3.1M in the last 10 months.

Texas only had 1.7M in the last 10 months.

Nationally 20% of the gun sales have been to blacks and 20% to Hispanics . 50% have been women.

Seeing a pattern?  (Other than KY is a state full of rednecks like me)

People in liberal oppressed states like IL are fed up with defund the police and the at risk population of law abiding blacks and Hispanics are ready to start defending themselves since the police wont.

20% of the gun sales were to first time gun owners.  35.7M total sales, so 7.14M new owners

So maybe all those gun new owners bought a weapon and 2 boxes of ammo and put it on a shelf and won’t actively train.  So that means the 714,000,000 rounds of ammo going to the first time owners and likely contributed to the shortage (along with Remington being mismanaged and run into the ground before Vita bought them and invested in their Arkansas) So maybe ammo shortages will ease up first part of next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16052 on: December 04, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »
They might but prices won’t
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: December 04, 2021, 12:05:58 PM »
We’ll see.  Supply and demand still work for the most part. The reduction in demand with the supply coming on line should help.

Brandon banning importation of Russian ammo isn’t helping.

It’s already come down some from the peak. I just want primers to become more available(and cheaper)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #16054 on: December 05, 2021, 05:02:59 PM »
Well I cant remember if I posted this but I know I texted Ken and he said some not so nice things about my van.

So when we had our second child the wife demanded a minivan.  I was willing to buy her anything to keep her from buying a minivan but her mind was set.

So I did the research and bought a 2005 Honda Oddysey Touring Edition.  I had to wear a trench coat, hat and glasses when I got it because there was no way I was going to be seen driving one of those.

But over time it won me over and I can say its been the best vehicle we have ever owned.  It’s had very few problems in 16 years with the exception of an O2 sensor, AC compressor, the stupid PAX run flat system, PS pump, a CV shaft, and a motor mount or two.

Ive done all the maintenance like religion and brakes/rotors, spark plugs, all hoses and belts, timing belt, water pump (you just do it while you are doing the belt because its there), flushing brake fluid and shocks and struts and fixed the PAX system by putting Acura MDX 18inch wheels and 255/55/18 Michelin’s on it.

So its now the training van for the girls driving and two weeks ago I was getting a “check slide door” error on the dash.  After much Google fu and some YouTube I narrowed it to the rear door latch.

Side note, you can pull trouble codes on this by jumping two terminals in the fuse box and the display in the dash will read out all the trouble codes.  Very cool and convenient.  (Jap efficiency)

So the B2088 code pointed me to the passenger rear door latching mechanism.  The power sliding doors are a modern miracle with its own control module to operate and coordinate all the pieces.

Pushing the open button causes the front and rear motorized latches to open which lifts the door away from the vehilcle in preparation for the door motor to pull the door back using an operating cable.

Closing the door causes another cable to pull the door forward and once in position the latches motorized to pull the door down into the latched position (all while a compression safety switch is ready to stop the door if someone is in the way)

The rear door latch assembly is $250 and you can only buy the entire assembled and not parts, so standing on the shoulders of those that came before me I disassembled the passenger side door panel and removed the motorized rear latch.  I was able to check the function of the micro switch that limits the latching mechanism.  It is a NC switch and it was not operable.  I did not have a replacement but was able to shoot contact cleaner in it until I got it working again and was able to get a part number of the micro switch in hopes of getting an exact replacement on line.   

So with it working I got it all put back together., and was able to find an exact Panasonic switch replacement for $6.

So all good in the world….well not 12 hours after I got the passenger side door fixed, the darn thing throws a code for the drivers side door. 

AARRRG.  I was thinking God was testing me for some reason but I was hopeful it would be the same issue, different door.  The pessimist in me said there is no way the exact same issue would happen that close together and I was in for a world of trouble shooting as it had to be something different.

Well today I pulled the codes and sure enough the B2038 code this time was the same error but on the drivers door.  I took the driver’s door apart and lo and behold it was the same switch bad on this side except I could not spray it clean and get it working so I just happened to have the switch I bought to use on the other side when the door quit working again.

Soldered it in and put it all back together and now both door are working like a champ!

The dealer would have charged $1000 a door to fix and I have less than $20 in fixing both!

Happy is an understatement and the training van lives to ride another day.

OEM switch on top and aftermarket on the bottom. Both panisonic but the exact configuration the factory used was not available.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:08:52 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16055 on: December 05, 2021, 05:21:48 PM »
Long as it works and you saved $$.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16056 on: December 05, 2021, 07:38:09 PM »
Dang you're a good mechanic. Sure you don't wanna do a life changing downgrade, which might include moving and buying a crappy shop on the cheap?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: December 05, 2021, 07:41:43 PM »
I got lucky with my rear latch, I was able to hose it down with wd40 and it started working correctly again. At least on the drivers side, passenger side needs a little tlc still

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: December 05, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16059 on: December 05, 2021, 11:11:45 PM »
I got lucky with my rear latch, I was able to hose it down with wd40 and it started working correctly again. At least on the drivers side, passenger side needs a little tlc still

If you need the part number let me know.  I got it from DigiKey

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16060 on: December 06, 2021, 07:09:49 AM »
Stupid Oklahoma wind snapped off my flagpole last night, so much for that high wind rating I spent extra on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16061 on: December 06, 2021, 08:12:16 AM »
Stupid Oklahoma wind snapped off my flagpole last night, so much for that high wind rating I spent extra on.

Check this company out: https://oldgloryflagpolecompany.com/

It is owned by a guy named parker mcumber. Parker is a member of the utah guard, afghanistan vet, and is a forward observer like i was. 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16062 on: December 06, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »
Yesterday at 1630 I am quietly typing my response to a members post when my neighbor across the street comes running up in his PJ's. He can't talk, like is out of breath. I wait a second and between breaths, I hear, "The house is on fire." I look up and sure enough smoke is rolling out of the front door. I run over to find three teens huddled in the driveway holding hamsters, two dogs and a hedgehog (Pets). I went in thinking there might be someone else in there, but wow, that heat. The smoke was overpowering but the kitchen was an inferno. Flames were rolling out of the cabinets and I knew there was no chance of saving that house. The smoke at five feet off the floor was so thick you couldn't see 6" but by getting low I could see maybe 20 feet. I thought about going upstairs, but if I had I would not have been alive today.
I am a part of the local fire department, I serve on the board and am involved. I look at them like soldiers and their chief reports to we board members. So I stayed with it for hours. The structure may be repairable. The neighbors are temporarily living with us now until USAA sorts out what's next
So yea, pretty busy, and very thankful there was no injury or worse.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16063 on: December 06, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
Yesterday at 1630 I am quietly typing my response to a members post when my neighbor across the street comes running up in his PJ's. He can't talk, like is out of breath. I wait a second and between breaths, I hear, "The house is on fire." I look up and sure enough smoke is rolling out of the front door. I run over to find three teens huddled in the driveway holding hamsters, two dogs and a hedgehog (Pets). I went in thinking there might be someone else in there, but wow, that heat. The smoke was overpowering but the kitchen was an inferno. Flames were rolling out of the cabinets and I knew there was no chance of saving that house. The smoke at five feet off the floor was so thick you couldn't see 6" but by getting low I could see maybe 20 feet. I thought about going upstairs, but if I had I would not have been alive today.
I am a part of the local fire department, I serve on the board and am involved. I look at them like soldiers and their chief reports to we board members. So I stayed with it for hours. The structure may be repairable. The neighbors are temporarily living with us now until USAA sorts out what's next
Wow. Some excitement.  What started the fire? Snickers in the microwave?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16064 on: December 06, 2021, 02:36:57 PM »
Wow. Some excitement.  What started the fire? Snickers in the microwave?

Thinking something in the stove/oven, but I really do not know. Microwave was the actual hottest spot! Snickers??? Maybe??? ;-)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16065 on: December 06, 2021, 03:16:43 PM »
Naw, the hedgehog was cooking,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16066 on: December 06, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »
I don't wish that form of excitement on anyone. Yikes
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16067 on: December 06, 2021, 09:26:33 PM »
Has always amazed me how fast a house fire can go take a house. Scary stuff but things can be replaced people can't

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16068 on: December 06, 2021, 09:31:39 PM »
Just got back from our states Gold Star familt Christmas tree lighting. The governor and most of the top brass from the state National Guard. Many people don't like our governor but any man that can quote scripture can't be all that bad.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16069 on: December 06, 2021, 10:29:04 PM »
Has always amazed me how fast a house fire can go take a house. Scary stuff but things can be replaced people can't

And this new construction is even faster than stuff from 15 years ago.
Scary stuff for sure.

On a positive note.
My truck seems to have stopped leaking stuff.
Even at -30 temps.

And I’ve got about 25# of bacon in the smoker.
Had to move inside the garage.
Was struggling to maintain 200.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16070 on: December 06, 2021, 10:38:09 PM »
Bet that smells great!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16071 on: December 06, 2021, 11:07:34 PM »
All my garage and everything in it should smell like bacon for about the next two to three months.
It’s terrible I say. lol
Another hour or so and it should be done.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16072 on: December 07, 2021, 02:18:50 AM »
Did the fire thing in 2006, not fun.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16073 on: December 07, 2021, 02:21:08 PM »
News on the fire: The experts are combing over what is left.

They said that keeping the doors and windows closed was the best thing that happened, and prevented the fire from spreading

They also said keeping the doors and windows closed was the worse thing that happened! It kept the heat in and literally baked everything. All plumbing, all of the wiring, all the wood, windows, roof, everything

It's starting to look like it may be coming down all the way to dirt. The owners Retired Full bird Colonel and wife a retired Lieutenant Colonel. They have to move so their son will remain in my home so he won't have to change schools.

Sux for them. They did recover his rifles, their uniforms, and a lot of bits of this and that.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16074 on: December 07, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
My fire was a lthium (early days) for RC planes. We still didn't understand all the issues, I paid the price. I was using a high end charger from germany which we believe over charged the battery, causing swelling, bursting (imagine a book of matches x10) in a wood cabinet. I left it unattended, but was in the garage, I went to work, I get a call from wife, I turn around and see smoke. She had opened the garage door (did not see the fire ext mounted next to the garage door she used) fueling the fire. Access to the attic was open. When I arrived home finding the GD open, fire was about in a 5x5 area, it spread fast, got family out and the garage area was fully engulfed before fire dept arrived. Thank god the house did not get touched, but the smoke and water did its damage, fire dept helped that too,,,,,,,,

Here is a link to the full thread I posted in another forum giving more detail. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?463115-Be-Carefull!!&highlight=garage%20fire

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16075 on: December 07, 2021, 06:22:56 PM »
The fire extinguisher wouldn’t likely helped stop the battery but once the outer material was burning slowed that stuff down

Those batteries should be stored and charged with great caution for sure. 

Follow the words not my actions as all of my batteries charge on the kitchen counter lol

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16076 on: December 07, 2021, 06:23:22 PM »

Couple axle builds going on……

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16077 on: December 07, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
Just a few you have there

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16078 on: December 07, 2021, 09:43:41 PM »
Man, i knew i should have invested in iron instead of silver and gold….

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16079 on: December 07, 2021, 10:09:24 PM »
So much for the clean shop! Is that a Scout up there??

Lithium polys are a soft sided battery. If shorted or punctured, think of a big match going off. And it is a chemical fire, water is no good on it. It is normal now to charge them in a fireproof container, not then.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16080 on: December 07, 2021, 10:29:12 PM »
Jr, I just swept this morning I assure you it’s clean!

Our jku on tons

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: December 07, 2021, 10:58:31 PM »
Just messing with you. I can see the assembly's working.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: December 10, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »
Got my Christmas decorating done.
Hauling corn today. Up and gone early when there's no traffic just the way I like it. I think I'm pretty well recovered from the Wuhan Red death. Feeling better everyday.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: December 10, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »
Ah a dash with working gauges must be nice lol our Pete has four or five that work,  the Mack has a stupid scroll screen to show ya everything but no gauges besides the rpm, speed, psi,

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: December 10, 2021, 04:46:57 PM »
Interesting ride home. Everything is a sheet of ice.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: December 10, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
Interesting ride home. Everything is a sheet of ice.

I had that today too. No fun at all

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: December 10, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
Been there done that. I'm happy to pick when I have to deal with it!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: December 10, 2021, 11:04:26 PM »
The boss lady said she wants an 8' table to go under her art!

So shes gonna get an 8' table to go under her art.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: December 11, 2021, 10:08:31 AM »
Woke up to major tornado damage
City of Mayfield is not far away

We don't know just how bad it is, but it's bad. Went through a candle factory with about 100 workers inside. I expect a significant loss of life. Many are still trapped in the wreckage as of sunrise. No room for volunteers at the moment, but I'm heading over and south to help in the areas away from the major impact. Mayfield has suffered damage consistent with a long duration artillery bombardment. No telling just how much is damage of flat out gone. I'll know soon

So, effective immediately, the Christmas fund is going to the victims/families over there. Now I know why I couldn't figure out who to give the money to. But I now know for sure. We have something like $300 ish to give. I hope it grows significantly. I will find that person, that family or several who most needs it.

Heading over there in a little bit...

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: December 11, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »
Definitely sending prayers down south. All of our family is OK as far we know. Also heard of a nursing home collapse that trapped hundreds. 

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: December 11, 2021, 11:23:42 AM »
Mayfield: City destroyed. Damage is enormous. Possibly over 100 dead.

Bowling green: Catastrophic damage. Authorities advising all to stay clear as it is still an active search area. We are getting screams from people trapped in the rubble still. Like I said, it's bad.

Bracken county: Widespread damage all over

Too much everywhere to write about all of it.

Leaving to go over there now. May have pics later on.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: December 11, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »
Just woke up and reading about the storms here. Just absolutely horrific. My prayers go out to everyone affected. Be safe out there Don.

Found this drone footage on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEbUhcX4ATs
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: December 11, 2021, 12:41:31 PM »
Wow!!! That’s is an amazing display of power!  Glad you and family are ok Don

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: December 11, 2021, 10:02:12 PM »
After having to deal with the 10's of thousands of morons out today, i have the wood finish sanded amd ready for stain then poly.

I have one split on an edge that i am gluing until tomorrow, once that is set, there will be a final sanding of that area and then stain shall be applied followed with 2 coats of 3x thick clear poly.

While all of that is curing, i will paint all of  the hardware.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: December 12, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
Had the boy scout Christmas party lock in last night. They stayed up all night playing video games.  Adults stayed up all night eating  summer sausage and playing cards. I'm going to have some breakfast then go to bed.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16095 on: December 12, 2021, 11:38:46 PM »
About 36,000 views until we have our first one million + view thread

Wow

So much wasted time

So, say the average person spends 2-3 minutes here every time they stop by. And the average person is making what?? $18 an hour? (No clue, just tossing out a number) Let's just say 2.5 minutes per visit

So 2.5 minutes X 963,500 visits = 2,408.750 minutes

or

40,145 hours   X   $18  =   $722,625

Or about the cost of an older smallish apartment in California!

Wow this thread is one huge waste of money!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16096 on: December 13, 2021, 12:21:54 AM »
Now add up how much money spent by employers paying employees poopin

Most likely twenty plus min a day….

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16097 on: December 13, 2021, 12:28:16 AM »
We have employee's?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16098 on: December 13, 2021, 05:53:52 AM »
Well I’m more efficient than most. I read this forum while doing my business Dave!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16099 on: December 13, 2021, 07:35:23 AM »
Well I’m more efficient than most. I read this forum while doing my business Dave!

Multitasking like a pro!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal