Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 113583 times)

OldKooT

Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »
There is probably a M38 and a M715 laying about somewhere. But they aren't Fiats. My wife said I can't have a new Jeep, she wants a new Indian Scout, so I guess back to my old Dodges LoL

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
I am having a tough Day...half the boards population has a closet Jeep. I feel left out LoL

Who needs a Jeep when you have "Patch" who's clearly Blizzard Tested with you and Mrs. K running supplies to stranded travelers?!  Now, if Jeep would put a Diesel in one......

They do & it's an over seas only model. With that stated Ashley had one of their grand cherokee's with the diesel. Long story short he had it for a couple years & traded it out this spring since the dealer had it more than he did anyhow.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »
Yep.  I had to trade it off.  It was in the shop 4 months out of the 20 months we owned it.  3 of those months were consecutive...  We traded it off and downsized to a car. 

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »
FaceInPalm SMH!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »
Ash and Duane in the same day, and the same thread. What's next? Kooter driving a Chevy?   :o
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2016, 05:57:15 PM »
OK, enough clutter for one day. I had purchased a 2" Old Man Emu HD suspension lift. Couple things worth mentioning, I ordered it through quadratec. The girl who does the web consult is more computer illiterate than my dog. After a couple disconnections she was able to tell me that six boxes shipped from them to me. Great, however there were no instructions included. Not that I need instructions what I needed was to verify if I had all the components. She was no help in that department. So I then called their sales staff and a very nice guy was able to confirm I had all the components. He also was able to tell me that OME had just change the parts in the kit and that's why it did not match any of the pictures or install threads I had skimmed over. Was also told OME does not provide instructions with their lift kits. I guess I don't have a problem with that but a list of components seems like a good idea. For the record I have the worst luck and normally am shorted parts in a lift kit. Happened too many times for me to not at least check before I ever turn a wrench.

The kit went on pretty easy, it was straight forward. I did sacrifice a front drivers bump stop. It appeared both bump stops on the front had been bottomed out many times. I guess that was part of the rubbing I felt / heard. Also worth noting the front shocks on the upper studs were not being cooperative. After a minute I said the heck with that and broke out the torch. Made quick work of that, smoked up my shop with that lovely burnt rubber smell. Also worth noting, my timing of opening the garage door to clear out said smoke was impeccable. One of my neighbors just happened to be driving by the house in his audi when the plume must have exited the garage. I heard him slam on his brakes and I looked out to see him trying to tell if my shop was on fire.

Drove the jeep after washing up to pick up a couple electrical items that had arrived at the store and it seems to ride better than stock. Steering seems a bit squirrely but after Duane posting I recalled a conversation him and I had about his lift kit and ordered LCA's. I also have a steering stabilizer kit from OME to install but ran out of time. So all is well and using Kentucky windage I believe the 2" kit is actually closer to 3.5" so I think those Australians need some help with reading a tape measure........

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
You will definitely need either adjustable LCA's or adjustable UCA's lifting one of these.  My "Complete" Pro Comp kit came with neither.  I also needed an adjustable front trac-bar.  Did your OME kit level out the forward rake any? Can't really tell by the pictures...   

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
Yes some, that garage has a sloped floor (I really hate that btw) so it's hard to tell in those pics. The one part they deleted from the kit is a 1/2" thick front upper coil spacer ring, I can buy them separately but my guess is if I bought them then it would be perfectly level. My kit didn't have any of those parts either. I did however also order the front track bar relocation bracket (lowers the frame side). It did come with one for the rear. From everything I have read most do not need the uca's with this height of lift.

Edit: I'll get better outside pics in next couple days & post up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:18:19 PM by stlaser »

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »
On ours, we were able to bring the caster in spec using only the LCA's.  When it was done, we gained 2-1/2 inches in the rear and almost 5 inches up front.  Completely eliminated the stock forward rake.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2016, 10:30:34 PM »
Copy, thanks for confirming that. Nice to have you hanging around again.

OldKooT

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 08:10:27 AM »
I like Dustoff around too... it means I didn't scare him off at Starbucks LoL

I have to admit, even a small lift does a lot for the looks of those rigs.

You need to properly train your neighbors a bit more. Around here when they see large plumes of smoke they assume I just blew something up, and don't even get concerned anymore LoL

Speaking of smoke, I should burn the ever growing brush pile today....

So whats the next project for the Jeep?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:33 AM »
My wife corrected me last night OldKoot, when they see smoke around here they think it's a good party going on! ::) Even at 9 am I guess......

Well, I am currently acquiring some electrical items. So probably that, once the track bar drop bracket & lca's show up I'll likely do all of that including steering shock absorber. The one I bought mounts it up higher out of the way.

I still need to fab the spare tire mount & also the hi lift mount.

Then first of next month I should be moving forward on drivetrain decision.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
Duane, front sits 3/4" lower (measuring to bottom of fender above wheels) than the rear. I'm not worried about it but if I had added those rings spacers it would darn near be perfectly level.

Edit: note those measurements are w/o the rear tire carrier & tire I have to fabricate / mount yet.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:40:45 PM by stlaser »

OldKooT

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
Patch sits 3/4 a difference side to side, so your within "Jeep Spec" LoL

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2016, 12:12:54 AM »
Got a good chuckle out of that. Can't say I disagree either! ;D

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2016, 11:05:03 PM »
I am having a tough Day...half the boards population has a closet Jeep. I feel left out LoL
Naw, You're OK

No one has a "Patch"
Like my Square D,,, pretty unique trucks...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2016, 11:10:27 PM »
It's ok Don, I used to have non running trucks around my place. Normally I cut the drivetrains out & sold em off then scrapped the rest.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:11:08 PM by stlaser »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2016, 02:41:15 AM »
It's ok Don, I used to have non running trucks around my place. Normally I cut the drivetrains out & sold em off then scrapped the rest.  ;)

;D
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »
OUCH!  Shawn launches a SCUD right to the area below the top of the navel and above the knees.....
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
Yea, caught that one...

He's a brutal man, that one!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
Actually, I had an ounce of compassion this morning. Was gunna mention how the tuck had no diesel mechanics in the state etc etc. went on for like a paragraph. Then I remembered Big D fell yesterday & I felt bad because I bet at his age he's feeling that tumble today so I erased it all & said a prayer that he gets feeling better.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »
So still waiting on front upper track bar drop bracket to show up. In the meantime was starting to get tired of the squirrely steering and death wobble that has happen on three occasions. So after my morning workout I came home & installed the new parts I had laying around. As it was I had purchased the adjustable rock crawler lca's & they come with a starting point for overall length depending on amount of lift. Figure using their numbers should get caster back somewhere in the correct zip code. They went on lickity split.

I decide to mount the OME steering stabilizer & relocation (above tie rod) kit. So I pull off the original stabilizer which is literally about 1" od....... The seals were non existent & tipping it up or down would allow the rod to either fall out all the way or bottom out on the interior of the tube. So yeah that might have been a contributing factor to the DW....... ::) bolted on new mount for the one end & unbolted & turned opposite end mount around. Then relocated it 240mm from new mount at other end to set correct spacing for new stabilizer shock. Took for a short trip & it is no longer squirrely & no hint of DW.

OldKooT

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »
Now...... time for some 37" rubber and a CB radio.  ;D

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
Sean I'm following this and really like it.

I wonder, why the older Jeeps are still so expensive.  I was looking at a CJ7 from the 70s and wanted to stuff a 4bt in it but they are still proud of those things.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »
I know, I like the cj-8's a lot. They hold their value like any antique. Add to the fact the "wrangler" type vehicle has best resale value of any vehicle & there you have it I think. Personally if I were to mod any jeep I'd stay with the tj coil spring front & rear setup or newer then build from there. They just work so much better as an off road vehicle not to mention the after market support is over the top.

I already have the CB & antennae mount is on the front fender. The fire stick is just too tall to keep it on & park in garage so I store it in roll bar padding in back.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:29:06 AM by stlaser »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »
Some inspiration from Jeep Beach in Daytona. I just got back from seeing every possible JK custom piece known to man from convertible soft tops, to concept Cherokee chief based on a stretched JK platform. That green one has the 702hp hellcat
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:09:08 AM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2016, 10:19:32 AM »
That's a BUNCH of jeeps!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
We actually took over the entire infield of Daytona Speedway. Lots and lots and LOTS of cool stuff to get inspired with.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
Nice...... ;D

OldKooT

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
That blue and white one that looks a bit like a old commando is pretty cool.

Resale on Jeeps is also very regional...out here you can pick up a old CJ with a decent tub/frame still quite reasonable, if one looks. If I built a wrangler or a CJ that's how I'd buy it.... a tub/frame/title. It's a Jeep, when building one you toss everything else out anyway. But I agree, I'd build a light roll over coil sprung TJ if I wanted a street/trail rig type of Jeep. They can be bought reasonable and the aftermarket makes about any conceivable bolt on you can fathom.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »
OK, so not much has been done to JK lately. Wife has been keeping me busy as have the kids with summer camps and tournaments. Built an outside yard shed, had some concrete poured and just now (next couple weeks) finishing a multi tiered deck. Trying to make our modest home useable for us at least until the youngest gets out of school in around 7 years. Also starting on finishing basement shortly.

Anyhow, back to JK and the quart of oil it is consuming every 1K miles. It has just shy of 77K on the odometer and from everything I'm reading this motor is about ready to eat itself at some point. I have been researching a few different options for the truck. The one I was leaning very heavily towards was the 5.3L ls swap and kit from MOTECH in Vegas. If I wanted or needed a ton of HP and budget was not an issue and it always is then I would have went this route spending 12-15K in the process. Was almost there in fact as Robbie and I have been discussing this back and forth via email for some time now. The other thing with this option other than cost is having to deal with emissions crap here in CO. It can be done but is always a hassle especially with motor swaps.

So during the last several months of researching I came across an article by my old friend Pete Strasborg of JP Magazine fame, God Bless his soul. I have to admit I didn't realize Pete had passed last year he was in fact my age and that is far too young IMO. Once I sold GLO and essentially retired from the off road business I kind of became a bit of a recluse to that part of my former life. Pete was a great guy and it shows by the amount of outpouring and tributes that were written about him. He once helped me bring a mountain of attention to a little piece of Heaven in Evarts, KY better known today as Black Mountain Off Road Park. With his help this 7K acre  originally free off road park has helped turn that community into an off roader's paradise. Rest in Peace Pete...........

So back to this article he wrote it in late 2014 and it was about a small engine builder called 505 Performance based out of NM. Apparently this company saw a need for their product in all of the crappy Mexican built 3.8L JK motors that can barely if at all last 100K in a JK. They have isolated all the problem areas from poor main bearing design to our friends south of the border lining up piston rings when assembling the bottom end of these motors. They then bore and stroke the little 3.8L to a mild 4.1L in the process add a custom cam and roller rockers along with ported heads. Sounds nice and it will pass emissions and even increase fuel mileage.

So I started doing research on 505 Performance and they have a couple negative things floating around on the interweb however when adding a bit of salt to the recipe it looks as a lot of it has been growing pains which most businesses have in one form or another. I've had several discussions with them and today sent off a deposit check for my new motor. They currently have a 5 week back log which if they can stick to is should put me into early August to receive the built motor. My plan is to get girls back into school and perform the swap. Now from dealing with performance engine builders in the past they are normally always busy and always have a customer or two who has had a bad experience. For the record I too have had experience in the past that was less than wonderful so we'll see.

Lastly here is a link to 505 Performance

http://www.505performance.com/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:23:32 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »
Sounds like a mucho cheaper way to go. Anything would be better than what they came with stock.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2016, 12:11:22 AM »
Sounds like a mucho cheaper way to go. Anything would be better than what they came with stock.

Agreed

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2016, 01:31:20 AM »
Sounds promising but sure lots of 'ifs" on the sight. Sure you've done some research though on your end.

Are you referring to the $5500 motor? You could do the LS motor for 1/2 that and if smog is the issue I think they are like Ca. Just has to be the same year or newer motor from the same type vehicle. So if the JK is considered a utility you are fine.Once cleared by the ref or smog whatever, the smog as normal.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:36:16 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
JR, Cali recently pulled registration on all the aev hemi swaps. They are not following the rules making them now illegal swaps. I've done my homework, to do the ls swap "legally" only way I see to do it here is with Robbie from Motechs help. His cost is over $5k for his kit, add in adapters for transmission new exhaust & then a good used motor (real crap shoot there as I've been looking for couple months now). BTW, his registrations aren't being pulled in Cali as he follows letter of law.

So with all of that stated, yes $5K for a motor is steep (& there are 4.1L stroker kits I can buy from hesco too but I don't know any engine builders here either) but they do a lot of these so I decided to go this route as they seem to specialize in this build. Does it suck paying that? Yep, but it sucks swapping a oem motor at 77k too......
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:43:31 AM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Or stop by the Kentucky and use someone's address from there to get some tags...

Smog...fog...We don't care bout no smog....

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:27 AM »
Actually contemplated that as well, plenty of places that don't care. But for resale out here etc I think this is best route. Time will tell.....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »
As I said, you've done your research. They are ready for more "cash for clunkers" too'

Another reason I had to go with a 2500 vs 1500 for the cummins. I could register up north here and avoid things, or out of state,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2016, 11:05:38 AM »
JR, they're thinking about doing that cash for clunkers deal again? It was such a flop the first go around. All it did was make the cheap cars unaffordable for the poor. Well that & scrap our good used parts sources....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2016, 11:12:43 PM »
Yep, always money for that and new gun laws. They keep sending me letters to turn in my 86 elky for $1500, right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
Ok, so in preparation for coming motor swap I am spending some funds on parts. One of which is this cat back system. Thinking eight years on stocker exhaust means myself and prior owner received our money's worth and time for an upgrade. So I purchased this setup, it also removes low hanging fruit of the rear muffler.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=17618+0004+07

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=heGCpa1dtVg&autoplay=1

So my plan here is to install it with stock motor in July and then assess whether I can fit a larger storage area where the muffler used to be located. Somewhere I saw someone making a larger fabricated unit to replace the dinky small storage area there. If not I'll just build my own or adapt another storage box to fit. I'm thinking maybe a couple army can that have been upgraded.....

Then I stopped by rockauto.com & picked up a new Timken throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Still researching clutches but thinking about a SPEC clutch http://www.specclutch.com/ anyone have any experience with these guys? In my past race days we always ran Fort Wayne clutch units but I'm a bit far away from the fort now.....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:33:28 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
Looks and sounds nice for a Flowmaster system. They were my favorite for a long time.

So are you doing the install?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »
Yep, I'll be doing all mods & I didn't think it was too bad of a sound for a v-6 most of them sound pretty ricy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:32:41 PM by stlaser »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »
I think flowmaster is one of the final options I've narrowed it down to for XJ.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »
You still have the xj? Thought it was getting sold last I heard......

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2016, 11:42:53 AM »
You still have the xj? Thought it was getting sold last I heard......

It's still an option. Depending on the day, depends on which option I'd choose.

And I was wrong, Magnaflow is one of the options, not flowmaster.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:43:32 AM by BobbyB »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »
& that's why I love rockauto.com, ordered parts yesterday afternoon & they arrived today. How is that possible for basic cheap Usps shipping?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2016, 05:09:17 AM »
They do amaze me too. I think they ship from so many places (like amazon) parts come from fairly close by.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »
Glad to see you making some progress, again!  Ready to see this build in person too.  Should be a nice set up knowing you and your attention to detail...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal