Hello Guest

Author Topic: Need AAM 11.5 advice...Tate? OldKoot?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Need AAM 11.5 advice...Tate? OldKoot?
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:31:25 PM »
So today, put my LB7 on the road with all new water pump, belts, pulleys, etc.

Noticed that it will break loose turning right with only the right tire spinning.  Turning left, both tires will light, as it will for the most part in a straight line.

What's happending with the G80?  Is it toast? 

If its toast is the solution the Grizzly Locker?

I've never set up a rear end before but I'm pretty handy and not afraid to spend the money. 

Whats the story here?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Need AAM 11.5 advice...Tate? OldKoot?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:17:38 AM »
Probably needs rebuilt or I'm sure swapping in a grizzly will solve the problem as well. I know detroits need a rebuild every so often.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »
Can one resuse the gears and just change the carrier/locker?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »
Can one resuse the gears and just change the carrier/locker?
Yes you can!

RN, take a look at the part in the C-Max build where I installed my Grizzly

It took me a few days, and a lot of test and tune so to speak before I got it right, but it is easily withing the "Can-Do" catageory.

I'm thinking yours will be a one day affair, easily.

The hard part is getting pinion depth. That involves bolting the thing together, then discovering it is all out of wack, then pulling it apart and (The worst part) driving off the bearing from the pinion gear.

You won't have to do that. All you have to do is the physical swap of ring gear over to that huge chunk of stellar matter, Grizzly thing, reinstall it, then set up your back lash.

That is easy...you just turn collars until the paint says you're a happy man.

G80's IMHO are junk. Massive chunk of metal, but if one little pin on the bobweight acclerator thing breaks, it stops working.

The Grizzly was never taught how to stop working. Mine is flawless, to this day. I've never stuck my truck, not once. A G80 has to lose traction before it starts to wake up. The Grizzly is on duty all the time. If it thinks it might lose traction tomorrow, around noon, it will lock up tonight around nine! You don't have to start to get stuck, then more stuck (Stucker??) before magic may or may not happen. You just don't get stuck

I'll never use another diff! I might put one on my Triumph Tiger! I'm sure it would make the one wheel direct drive better somehow.

You...? Absolutely, Do it

CM
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »
What Don said, I agree you can swap in the grizzly. Tate has also posted a ton of informative stuff on installs. Randy's is also a wealth of information so you're in the best of hands. Not to mention Nate is normally a pretty nice guy....... (Still trying to get past that horses a** comment) :(
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
RN, not an expert on these, but if it's capable of locking straight and left, there might not be anything wrong with the locker. If the flywheel/gears broke, it would never lock consistantly....which leaves 2 possible issues. The clutch pack might be burnished (switching to a non-synthetic might help), or the way you tried to spin it going right, was different....(too fast =non-engage on a g80) ..or something similar.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
That maybe alright. Just like an open diff will spin one wheel yours is simply using torque hat pushes down one wheel vs the other. When you turn, it evens it out.

Now a locker upgrade would be better for sure, but you don't need to break it all the way down unless the bearing are gone or very old. Simply bolt the locker to the ring gear, set the backlash, check the pattern and you should be good.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Sorry it took so long for me to find this. The Eaton Governor lock differential requires 100 rpm difference in wheel speed to even come to play. The counter weighted governor assembly disengages the unit over 30MPH. The clutches do not provide traction but serve to turn the cam and fly wheel which engage the governor. When it IS engaged, it is truly locked up and is not technically a limited slip. That being said, several conditions could have been present, too much wheel speed out of the gate to engage the locking mechanism is the first thing that comes to mind, and in that case it acted exactly as it should; the unloaded inside tire boiling with the outside tire that was loaded up from the turn receiving no power. It also could have a dead spot in the flywheel where several of the tiny little teeth are missing, as this is a common failure point. The good news is that it is working under other conditions, so you probably don't have a dead stick, but they are very susceptible to failure especially with larger tires solely based on their design as they bang into engagement constantly and fatigue themselves.

You could do the Grizzly if you wanted to upgrade the locker, but for a little better street manners, we now have a Duragrip for that application and it's a monster. forged case and internals in 4310 chromoly, raybestos clutches and a 4 pinion design, it's a classic, passive limited slip similar to the older Eaton design but with much better materials. If you decide to open it up, look for missing teeth on the fly wheel, damaged springs on the governor, and hairline cracks at the valleys of the pinion gear teeth. Rebuilding these units is not cost effective and you might as well talk to WILSONPHIL because you practically need a degree in rocket science to do them correctly.

To replace the unit is VERY simple; remove axle shafts, pull cover and drain. Using a dial indicator with either a magnetic base or adjustable snake type arm, determine backlash. Mark bearing caps left and right, and remove the 4 bolts that hold them in place, and remove the posi/ring gear assembly. (this might require a BFG, pry bar and a fat guy to achieve, but keep pulling, it will come out). Either transfer the old bearings to the new posi, or press on new bearings, and transfer the ring gear to the new Posi. Re-install new posi/ring gear combo and bearing caps, and check that backlash is the same. Refill with gear oil and additive and replace cover and axles. Drive.

Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
(this might require a BFG, pry bar and a fat guy to achieve, but keep pulling, it will come out).

I think I've got that covered....

Either transfer the old bearings to the new posi, or press on new bearings, and transfer the ring gear to the new Posi. Re-install new posi/ring gear combo and bearing caps, and check that backlash is the same. Refill with gear oil and additive and replace cover and axles. Drive.

I'm an axle newb.  How is backlash adjusted?  I assume pinion depth is GTG?

Thanks for the advice

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »
If your keeping the same gears you should be fine. You need a dial indicator on the housing with the tip on the ring in the same direction it rotates.

Do not allow the pinion to move and move the ring gear back and forth, that is your backlash. To adjust for more, move away from the pinion, less closer.

Then you still check the pattern using a visible coating looking for a mid tooth contact on the rounded side (drive side). I would look to video for patterns and you will see how it should look.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
I just saw this myself...not sure how I missed it. I'd say your G80 is fine, that is how they perform.

If you install a Grizzly to melt both your drift tires at once, you'll have more even tire wear LoL

You can handle the install...I have complete faith.

Hope your staying dry down there with all that rain.... my wife's sister I guess is about ready to buy a raft...she lives in some fancy pass word protected gated Austin community. She was saying the electric lawn mowers they are required to use are not working out well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal