Hello Guest

Author Topic: cast iron electrolysis bath  (Read 8870 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
cast iron electrolysis bath
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »
so wen I was at the dump the other day getting rid of all the crap that has accumulated at this house from all of the previous tenants (land lord reimbursed cost of dump $116) I saw a guy fixin to throw some cast iron pans away.  I gave him a holler and after a quick conversation he gave them to me. 

as I was looking these things over to see if they were actually good or not, I realized that he just gave me 2 10" pans and one small little newer lodge 4" one.  I told the man thank you and took them home.

here is a pic of one of the 10" ones that is getting done up for my step daughter.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: cast iron electrolysis bath
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
as I started looking at these, I decided to do up this here thread and show folks just how clean (and easy it is) you can get a piece of cast iron like this clean with a little electrolysis bath.

so I assembled the following items:

1. cast iron pan

2. plastic container large enough to submerge entire piece

3. a nice thin piece of steel

4. a box of washing powder (sodium carbonate)  DO NOT USE SODIUM BICARBONATE (baking soda)!!!!!  you can get this at walmart in the laundry section or order it on line.   I believe you can actually make your own by "baking" baking soda.

5. a "dumb" battery charger.  you can not use one of those new fandangled computer controlled ones, because in order for those to work the charger has to sense / read a return voltage before it will turn on.  where as the "dumb ones" will just turn on when told to.

6. water to fill container with

7. a wood dowel to hang the piece from

8. a zip tie

9. some clamps (to hold the steel piece in place, because having to pieces of metal touch while electrified would not be a good thing.)

I had to return that charger because it was one of those smart ones and got me a dumb one from oriley's

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:55:31 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
that container is 13 gallons and I think I filled it up to about 3/4 full and mixed in probably 3/4 - 1 Cup of washing powder

I forgot to take some pics at this point, but will be doing the other 2 pieces and I will get pics then to add to here.

I let this sit and cook for about 8 hours yesterday, and here is how it came out.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
I heated up the oven and gave it a good rubdown with some Crisco and gave it its first seasoning.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:02:09 PM »
as I was compiling this here thread, I ran it thru the oven again for its second seasoning.  I will probably do this a total of 4-5 times to ensure that it gets a good seasoning and will be ready to go for another 100 years.

here is a quick search on this process: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cast+iron+electrolysis

and I actually watched this guys video to get a general idea of what to do.  I will continue to read and learn about this process so that I can provide accurate information if and wen asked later on down the road.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:05:06 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
I think Duane did something like this on some mechanical thing he was restoring? Maybe for paint / rust removal a while back. Nice score btw....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 03:42:50 PM »
I do remember another on the topic i think you're right Shawn.

Awesome score, and awesome to see it works on cast as well.
Bringing them back from the 'dead'.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:43 PM »
Man that turned out well.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
How cool! Nice find and this is what recycling should be!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:40:57 AM »
If you like cooking with cast iron and you are on Facebook there are a groups to check out. Cast iron cooking and Hillbilly cast iron cooking.

I have a whole pile of cast iron pans. From the single egger to the 12 inch chicken fryer and doubles of most. I just need a bigger Dutch oven.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
Nice, Nate! It's shameful what some folks throw away. Glad you were able to rescue those wonderful cast iron cooking implements!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:30 PM »
thank you all.

jon, is that your way of sayin that youll box some of those up and send them my way for the cost of shipping......;D

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »
NEVER

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
so I got 2 pieces in the mail today from WYORUNNER that are in some serious need of bringing them back to life.

the first one (on the left) is a Griswold No 8 cast iron waffle iron W/ base.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=KXX0WoKQI5K_jgTy34vgBA&q=griswold+best+made+No+8+cast+iron+waffle+iron&oq=griswold+best+made+No+8+cast+iron+waffle+iron&gs_l=psy-ab.3...73970.82909.0.87637.17.14.3.0.0.0.140.1410.1j11.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..3.0.0....0.jqAHadLTDsc

www.castironcollector.com/waffle.php

the second one is a wagner 8" square pan.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=t3b0Wv-eBOTMjwTtl7XYCA&q=wagner+%231218+square+cast+iron+pan&oq=wagner+%231218+square+cast+iron+pan&gs_l=psy-ab.3...46589.48059.0.49012.6.6.0.0.0.0.126.671.1j5.6.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0....0.HIq8_H4QIV8

I will post more pics as the process goes along, this is going to take a while because each of the 4 pieces have to be done separately.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:46:25 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 05:52:24 PM »
Awe MAN I would love a waffle iron like that, Nate If we ever put together a rodeo at Don’s equipment assault site, PLEASE bring that puppy to put it through it’s paces!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
The waffle iron is not mine mike, i am just un-screwing it from how wyrunner received it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
Here is how nasty the water is looking at about 2 hrs in....

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Seeing that has got me all gitty! We’ve wanted to use the thing since we got it back in 11 or 12. And this way I can get rid of the electric one we have!!!

Thanks for making it usable again!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:01:42 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 10:44:46 PM »
Do you guys have a coil top stove or a ceramic top stove?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »
Do you guys have a coil top stove or a ceramic top stove?

Its gas... so neither

And the grates are cast iron it seems, but not entirely certain.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:57:00 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 08:06:55 AM »
Can’t wait to see the finished product.  Seems fascinating to try. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »
so here is what the waffle iron looked like before and after I gave it a good scrub with a stiff wire brush and put the first piece into the bath yesterday at about this time.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 04:41:17 PM »
and here is what one side of the first piece looks like after 24hrs in the bath.  hopefully the other side wont take as long.  the side that is in direct site of the sacrificial steel is normally what gets cleanest first, then you have to flip it around.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
Like the progress AND the new tag line! LOL-

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
Will you have to hang the handle portion at the bottom next go around?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »
Will you have to hang the handle portion at the bottom next go around?

While I am not doing the work, but I'm guessing he might forgo the handles because they don't affect the cooking surface. However I could be very wrong.

Nate, if you did want to do the handles do you think you could remove them and bathe both at once?

That first piece looks like new! Sure is an amazing process.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »
Interesting!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:05 AM »
the handles look as though they are/were made of stainless steel or chrome plated.  also the handles look as though they were welded on there.

let me see how the little bit of handle that is in the bath turns out?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:32 AM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
Like the progress AND the new tag line! LOL-

thanks, I came across that somewhere and thought it was very fitting.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
So 48 hrs and this is what it looks like.

It is currently in the oven getting its first coat of seasoning.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
Of course you are going to make some waffles with it before you send it back right?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:18 PM »
Of course you are going to make some waffles with it before you send it back right?

I sure hope so, because then he can tell me the do’s and don’ts of making waffles in it. And he deserves it, along with HH6 for allowing him to help others with there dishes!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 09:43:25 PM »
My guess would be that you have to heat up one side and then flip it over before putting batter in it. Then repeat that process halfway through cooking  and be certain to grease griddle just before batter

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2018, 09:53:10 AM »
and here it is coated in flaxseed oil and about to go in the oven for its second seasoning

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
I had heard that flaxseed oil is the best for seasoning.  Any trouble locating it?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »

I sure hope so, because then he can tell me the do’s and don’ts of making waffles in it. And he deserves it, along with HH6 for allowing him to help others with there dishes!

I wont make any, because I have a ceramic stove top and it wont work.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ekP4Wu6HBoKGsAWVwbbIBQ&q=how+to+make+waffles+with+a+cast+iron+waffle+iron&oq=how+to+make+waffles+with+a+cast+iron+waffle+iron&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1l2.931.13317.0.13899.48.33.0.15.15.0.145.3408.13j18.31.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.46.3706...0j0i131k1.0.K6he2MPBHIM

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
I had heard that flaxseed oil is the best for seasoning.  Any trouble locating it?

yes and no, some high end grocery stores carry it in their organic supplement aisle and some times you can go to a supplement store and find it.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »

I wont make any, because I have a ceramic stove top and it wont work.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=ekP4Wu6HBoKGsAWVwbbIBQ&q=how+to+make+waffles+with+a+cast+iron+waffle+iron&oq=how+to+make+waffles+with+a+cast+iron+waffle+iron&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1l2.931.13317.0.13899.48.33.0.15.15.0.145.3408.13j18.31.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..2.46.3706...0j0i131k1.0.K6he2MPBHIM

Sad, but good reason not to make any! If you’re down here anytime in the future, stop over.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
The other half of that iron got put into a fresh bath this morning

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
So is it bad that I use cast iron on my glass top stove?  Yeah the glass gets dirty but I have found no other reason

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 09:46:39 AM »
So is it bad that I use cast iron on my glass top stove?  Yeah the glass gets dirty but I have found no other reason

it is not bad at all, as long as they are smaller pieces like fry pans or 6qt dutch ovens.  if you go over 6qt dutch ovens, you risk the chance of the weight (fully loaded) breaking/cracking the ceramic top.  also the other issue some folks have with cast iron on their ceramic tops is, the way the burners work...they come on/go off/come on/go off/etc....where as a coil top they come on and stay on until turned off.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 09:16:06 PM »
Copy.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
I'll add to Nate's comments that you have to be careful not to move the pan/pot around on the cooktop as it will scratch the surface.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 09:55:56 PM »
So i changed up my sodium carbonate source....i went straight to the pool chemical supply area and got pure sodium carbonate instead of the arm and hammer stuff with soap in it.

I must say that the more pure stuff worked a lot quicker and got more off of the cast iron as shown on the sacrificial steel.

It has now been runbed with the first coat and is seasoning in the oven.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »
That’s pretty awesome!! 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
One comment Nate

Your Anode (Collection grid/steel conductor) you have pictured still has all the casting scale on it. To get better conductivity with the water, if you ground that thing until it actually showed steel the process may have gone even better than it did.

I recall when Duane was derusting a diff housing using this process...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »
One comment Nate

Your Anode (Collection grid/steel conductor) you have pictured still has all the casting scale on it. To get better conductivity with the water, if you ground that thing until it actually showed steel the process may have gone even better than it did.

I recall when Duane was derusting a diff housing using this process...

oh I did.....that was from piece 2 alone.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »
The other half of the iron itself is in the oven for its last seasoning, and the base will be put in its bath tomorrow.

The base should not take as long to strip or season as there are not many corners and such on it and it dosent hold the actual food like the irons do.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2018, 10:25:37 PM »
Here are my 2 pans that i use on a daily basis.

The large pan was one i got right after my first divorce to replace the 10 year old one my ex took.  And the small one is somewhere around 70 years old and was given to me by my best friends wife that she actually used a decoration.

These 2 pans were stripped and re-seasoned almost 12 years ago.  These are also proof that if you use them in the correct way and put them away properly, then they will last.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal