TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Thinking of a tube bender

(1/11) > >>

JR:
Been thinking of this for many a project. These things can get pricey, then you get the dies, OMG. I don't see needing over 1.75 (2 in od)

Sure I don't need to bend every size, but here are couple I found;

There is the DIY like from gottrikes, then you buy dies. I do like this one being vertical.

Basics from places like Protools, but look a little light duty.

Found a couple both at summit and jegs, but cheap or pricey with everything.

CL has em now and then, but people still pricey for anything worth while.

I found this on Ebay, looks to be a copy of the JD and it comes with dies. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291771839211?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I think this could be used vertical too and maybe even mounted to a receiver.

I think Don has the JD model and have seen some of his work with it.

So comments?

Farmer Jon:
We got one from harbor freight. Thought we would use it but we don't. I actually forgot we had it until I seen this.

Bear9350:
I looked into them a couple years ago.  There are a few out there similar to JD but a little cheaper priced and cheaper built.  None of the models I found could get a tight enough radius for what I needed though.  Like you eluded to though, you will spend just as much if not more on dies than the initial cost of the bender.

I had also found some people  who built there own bender and purchased dies for it.   I never looked into that option much.  Currently I just send a print out and have somebody else bent them.  It's not to horribly expensive and I can have them cope the ends perfectly for me so I don't have to screw around with getting a perfect fit.

KensAuto:
Must be something in the air because I was also considering this.

My snap-on guy has one that he used to make a roll cage for a sandrail. If he could make one work, anyone could.

Flyin6:
That's what I own JR.

Excellent unit. And when bending the 2" tube, it is a massive workout, as in good.

I'd say with making a 90 degree bend and a short extension on the handle it is like doing a set of 6 225 lb bench presses. Bend say 4-6 of those and you're pumped!

I bought the SWAG air over hydraulic unit for mine and before the next pipe bendin' session, I'm going to install it along with a new stand with casters. If you plan on hand bending which I highly recommend, it needs to be securely bolted into the planet or you're going to need additional surgery and physical therapy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version