TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Buy/building home construction opinions and good ideas.

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bigdave_185:
Tex.  How would you go about reinforcing the doors?
I always framed where the door jam was matched as tight as I could to door size so there wasn't a lot of space between the flimsy door case and the framing.   What do you mean?

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Bigdave_185:
Recessed third car garage.

There is no reason to make this garage spot any shorter then the full width of the home yet so many do.   The financial cost to extend that in the plans is so much less then trying to build a shed.  And looks way better. 

Vertically sliding Windows

Young kids have a large potential to have the window slide down onto fingers.  Do no other reason then that. I don't like them

Kitchen cabinets

Often the cabinets and storage is very shallow.  It is available to get the counter depth longer which gives you more storage

Covered porches and exit points

Make sure there is enough roof coverage to block from wind blown snow and or rain, the front porch is a potential slip hazard for all and if it is designed well will save you from having to shovel the area where the stairs are

Walking out basements

The first thing is a door wide enough to be useful, double doors even. Second is the access to the basement wether is be a future rental, mother in law apartment, or just a access to a shop in the basement.  Keep the opening large and easy to get to.  Even use mine for a dolly and rock salt for the water softener

Home speakers

I like the intercom system still, saves me from yelling to the basement, but also allows you to play music in the home, but wire outside also for porch, garage, back deck area.

Carpet vs. tile vs. hardwood

Carpet. It's nice for walking on and kids but is the shortest life span
Tile is hard and durable and will look great for the duration of the home
Hardwood is beautiful but has similar issues with durability. 
Please add your thoughts on the above^^^^^ below

TexasRedNeck:
Dave, I mean installing a steel plate with opening for the bolt from the lock between the framing and jamb 1/8 thick steel with long screws to framing. Then when installing the pruhung door your steel plate takes all the abuse of someone trying to kick it in.  Ideally you have a steel entry door as well because a wooden door just shatters where the lock mechanism is.

Bigdave_185:
I see.   

Wilbur:
I like this idea Dave. I agree with what others have said on running elec, cables (conduit etc.) so it can be changed as technology changes.

I also think a good mud room is a huge benefit. Get that dirt off in a single place BEFORE it gets tracked through the house. A sink in there (or the garage) would be a benefit too. I like good liquid hand soap (with some grit) in a wall mounted pump dispenser for cleaning hands thoroughly and also not making a mess around the sink.

I am fan of second floor laundry so you don't have to tote laundry up and down stairs. Just have to have the safety tubs etc in place correctly for the "oh *bleep*" moment when the washer overflows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version