Hello Guest

Author Topic: Powder coating  (Read 3429 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Powder coating
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:08:57 AM »
So I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at powder coating. I started with this basic kit from Eastwood for $199

It came with gun, silicone plugs, high temp masking tape extra containers a beginners guide and 4 pounds of powder (mix and match color choices)

I powder coated my dually lugs this past weekend in a buddies set up so I got a bit of a crash course. I'm looking forward to getting some more experience under my belt.

Ultimately the limiting factor is the size of the oven. I'll be looking for a cheap CL used wall oven to start.

Hope to share successes and failures that might help others who want to try this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Powder coating
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:46:13 AM »
Looking foreword to updates.
Those lugs are awesome by the way.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:44 AM »
Is powder coat strong enough to withstand a lug wrench or do you need to line the socket with something to prevent scrapes? I know powder coat is "stronger" than paint but I don't know how strong?  ???

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:25 AM »
Wil that is the 64,000 dollar question.

Its really tough stuff if applied correctly. I would not attempt with a plain socket.  The plan is to put some masking tape on it and try that.  If not I will try to make a urethane lined socket.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
As with all other paint, prep work is still key.  Here at work the raw steel is dipped into several tanks to clean and a final tank to put a special priming coat on it.  Then they head of to get power coated and baked.  You would need to press hard enough to gauge metal to scratch it.  Our paint line is very good though.  Any outside supplier we use have a very hard time just getting close to the same quality. 
Not sure what the paint quality you have it but if you media blasted the lugs and were careful not to touch/ get any other oils on them afterwards I think it should withstand some wrench time.  I would just use the properly sized 6 point socket.  As long as the paint build-up isn't to thick and the socket slides on without scratching I think you would be in the clear.  Obviously no impact.   Smooth steady pressure to remove/ torque.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »
As with all other paint, prep work is still key.  Here at work the raw steel is dipped into several tanks to clean and a final tank to put a special priming coat on it.  Then they head of to get power coated and baked.  You would need to press hard enough to gauge metal to scratch it.  Our paint line is very good though.  Any outside supplier we use have a very hard time just getting close to the same quality. 
Not sure what the paint quality you have it but if you media blasted the lugs and were careful not to touch/ get any other oils on them afterwards I think it should withstand some wrench time.  I would just use the properly sized 6 point socket.  As long as the paint build-up isn't to thick and the socket slides on without scratching I think you would be in the clear.  Obviously no impact.   Smooth steady pressure to remove/ torque.

You do powder coating and etc?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:51:41 AM »
I personally do not.  There is a local guy here I occasionally will take a bumper to get powder coated.  I generally do not recommend because it shows all the scratches, grinding marks through it.  I even need to grind down the areas that I welded on the back side else you will be able to see the heat affected area after powder coating.  Not that I don't do a good job finishing the bumpers but I don't want to spend the extra time to do the polishing that is required for powder coat.

I work at John Deere for the factory that makes the Select Series mowers and all the Gator products.  Specifically I work on the mower deck design.  The powder coat system we have here at the John Deere Horicon location is one of the best.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:54:12 AM »
So all the carnage Don applies to your finishes, we should use that as the benchmark for resilience or is that slightly over the top?  ???
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »

Idk, considering the amount of carnage he has done I am sure more than a few branches and other things have scraped down the side of the loader arms/ hood/ fenders and after a little clean-up it seems to be in pretty good shape.  This based off the pic he posted up last week of it cleaned up.

Honestly I really don't know how the paint systems match up at the factories Don's equipment was built at.  I just know here in Horicon it is very good.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:13:35 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
That was on "how it's made" not too long ago....the JD mowers...Cool stuff, BIG powder coat oven.

oh, and subbbbbed
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
somewhere, in a far away land, Overwatch just vomited in his mouth Ken.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
:)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »

Idk, considering the amount of carnage he has done I am sure more than a few branches and other things have scraped down the side of the loader arms/ hood/ fenders and after a little clean-up it seems to be in pretty good shape.  This based off the pic he posted up last week of it cleaned up.

Honestly I really don't know how the paint systems match up at the factories Don's equipment was built at.  I just know here in Horicon it is very good.

The paint isn't doing all that poorly. I am not bashful about rubbing against some offending tree! I view scratches more like a Scar.

But the paint on the hood of the thing is fading. And it's a 2013 so I'd have to give that a fail. By comparison the paint on the hood of my Silverado, a 2011, which I have never waxed until this summer is shiny. Well it was shiny before the buffer...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
Anyone heard from him lately?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
Not a word.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »

The paint isn't doing all that poorly. I am not bashful about rubbing against some offending tree! I view scratches more like a Scar.

But the paint on the hood of the thing is fading. And it's a 2013 so I'd have to give that a fail. By comparison the paint on the hood of my Silverado, a 2011, which I have never waxed until this summer is shiny. Well it was shiny before the buffer...

I'm by no means a paint engineer and don't know much then there basic.  There are always trade-offs tjough.  With powder paint the harder paints are less UV resistant and hence fade faster.  UV resistant paint is softer and will scratch easier.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 06:35:15 PM »
If the JD hood is like my NH one, it's plastic and mine faded within 2 years. Wax kinda works for a while then it fades worse the next time.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
Sounds like Camo or OD Green time is approaching!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 12:19:49 AM »

Bear you are spot on, my man.

Media blast.  Soak in solvent, bake in oven.  Then powder coat after handling with powder free latex gloves. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »
Picked up a used oven off CL today. One step closer. Now to get the media  blasting cabinet from harbor freight.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal