VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

Wheel bearing grease and brakes

(1/9) > >>

Bob Smith:
Our new travel trailer just finished an 11,000 mile trip, and during the last part of the trip when I did use the brakes they were not working as they should. It was time to adjust the brakes and inspect and repack the wheel bearings. Since the trailer didn't come with self adjusting brakes, and since the bearing grease didn't stay just on the bearings, it is a good time to upgrade the brakes to self adjusting type. I won't need to jack the wheels off the ground to adjust the brakes any more hopefully. E-trailer carries everything I needed to do the change. Loaded backing plates, new bearings, grease seals, and included free shipping. No need to clean up all the parts, magnets, and replace the shoes. Just take off the 5 nuts and replace the whole set up. Thought about changing to disk brakes but am not up for that right now.

Not sure why the bearing grease was every where. Could be the grease Lippert uses is very thin, or the seals didn't hold up, or because everything has China stamped on it, or because they (or the factory delivery driver) used the e-z lube zerk and filled the hubs way past full. The grease even squeezed out between the front dust cap and the drum so I am thinking it was from getting warm and pushing the thin grease past the dust cap and the seals as there was no room left for expansion in the hub. At any rate it is a real mess. Lots of people having the same problem, if you have a newer trailer you might want to check the brakes and bearings before the grease takes over.

stlaser:
Lippert was top 5 customer for the shop I used to GM, they buy everything for rock bottom pricing. As such, my guess is grease was used chainsaw oil..... ::)

JR:
I was hoping for discs, but the upgrade is still nice.

11k, where?

Flyin6:
Bob, you're in non compliance!

You know the rules

Pics or it didn't happen!

Might have to fire you, then reinstate you again, like I do to Shawn about once a month...

stlaser:
I'm going a whole month now between offenses? Better step it up I'm slacking or you're slacking......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version