VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

Car Hauler Trailer Build

(1/52) > >>

rcampbell:
Hi everyone, I've been collecting parts for my trailer build. I got two 3500lb axles yesterday, I have a 7000lb drop leg jack, and a trailer light kit. Will be getting the springs today likely.

Was just looking for some opinions on the build, if anyone has done something similar. I've build a 5x8 trailer out of angle, and a 5x10 out of square tube, so I'm excited for the project. I think the channel is the way to go, since up here in Canada it's easier to treat rust if it's not on the inside of a square tube.

I plan to use this to be able to haul a car, but also general purpose use like lumber, atv's etc.

Was also wondering about paint, thought about trying to 2-part epoxy paint (KlassKote).

Any helpful hints would be great!

TexasRedNeck:
Well, I'm probably opening a can of worms but I would go 5200lb axles. With the weight of the trailer and stuff that only leaves about 4500-5000 lb in capacity with 3500lb axles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rcampbell:
Yeah, I may someday, but I have to stick with 3500 axles for now. I may build the trailer so that it can handle 10K GVW, and swap them out someday though. It seems like most car haulers I've looked at use the same material for 7K and 10K trailers.

TexasRedNeck:
That's a good plan. Post up progress. Im Contemplating a gooseneck build and want to pick up some tips from you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stlaser:
I've built several trailers over the years. If you have specific questions post them up. I'll keep an eye on this build & if I see any huge concerns I'll be sure to harass you about them.....

As TRN said go gooseneck if you can, muy better all around......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version