TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Need Chainsaw Advice

(1/12) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
So I'm patching my old Poulan together with chicken wire and spit and its time to step up.  The clutch spring broke and its hard to start with the chain in full engagement.  I've ordered a new sprocket, new clutch, clutch spring and a few screws which are missing.  I already put a new carb on it so I'm 50% of its cost new, into repairs.

I'm a fan of Stihl and that's the direction I'm headed.  I've narrowed it down to two saws.

The MS391, which is their top of the line Farm/Ranch saw rated at 4.4bhp 13lbs and a 20 inch bar max
or the MS 362C-M which is a professional saw rated at 4.69bhp 12lbs and 25 inch bar max

The cost difference is $150

https://collinstractorandequipment.stihldealer.net/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362cm/?_ga=1.127621901.1891690670.1479852523&emailpopup=true

https://collinstractorandequipment.stihldealer.net/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms391/?_ga=1.173571235.1891690670.1479852523&emailpopup=true

Would appreciate advice from the menses.  Thanks in advance.

stlaser:
Buy the professional unit

I only kept my smallest saw which was a newer stihl when we moved after selling the farm. Back in the day when huskies were a very good option I bought professional grade only for my big saws. I ran them hard for over 10 years with regular maintenance & they would out cut most. When I sold they brought better than 50% of new cost. What's a $150 to a guy who just writes the check?

Also a good plastic case is worth it imo, my saws were always well cared for & cleaned and kept in those cases.

There are also good forums out there that cover the latest & greatest. Good friend of mine who also hears with wood purchased a modded new makita several years ago & has been very happy. He's quite a bit more frugal than me so take it for what it's worth. The stihls after break in need to be returned to the dealer to be re tuned if you go that route.

BobbyB:
I'm kind of in the same boat. Dad's old Poulan needs replacing, but then again we haven't used it in years. But I'm still going to replace it. I've always heard Stihl's are nice but I don't like the price tag.

cudakidd53:
With chain saws like weapons, you get what you pay for - bought a Stihl Woodboss almost 30 years ago and it servers me well and has been used by my brother several times who runs it like he doesn't own it.....'cause he's a PLUMBER and my brother.......and it's been used hard by me as well.  Run a 16" bar usually with a 20" as needed.  Still using original plug and chains I bought new (2 each size and rotate through them, then have resharpening party) and I'm just now getting to the point where I will be doing some tune-up and repairs.

Ex-wife's father ran over it in the protective case earlier in its life and everything held up well, of course HE wasn't driving a tractor with a brush-hog!

TexasRedNeck:
I've always gravitated to Stihl but on an arborist site there  seems to be an equal number of people who like the Husky.  Like Honda and Toyota, their models are very similar in features and price. 

All the professional tree crews Ive seen run Stihl, which may be why I lean that way.

Seems like the difference between the pro and farm saw is the Mtronic engine management system

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version