Hello Guest

Author Topic: a little help on my 4x4/manual trans swap  (Read 7600 times)

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: a little help on my 4x4/manual trans swap
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »
I think I may have figured out the drivetrain angle issue.

I think the siderail section of the frame on my truck may be taller than the one on my donor truck, I'll have to stick a tape on both frames to be sure. From some information I found on another forum, it looks like my crew cab should have the taller frame vs the standard cab donor truck.

It seems that if my truck has a 7.2" tall frame and the donor truck has the 6.06" frame, it could cause my problem.  So, if that ends up being the case, I'll just build a 1" spacer to go under the transmission and then flip my carrier bearing cross member back over and call it a day.

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 09:45:04 PM »
I confirmed my suspicion.  The frame on my truck is 7.2" and the one on the donor truck is 6".

I think I'm going to build a spacer from 1" square tube to go between the transmission cross member and the transmission mounts.  That should allow me to put my carrier bearing cross member back the way it was and hopefully level out the drivetrain.

I should have enough parts tomorrow to get my exhaust done back to where the muffler(s) will go.  That'll allow me to run the truck a little and at least move it around under it's own power.(hopefully).

I still need to mount the core support and radiator before I can start it.  I feel like I'm almost to the top of the hill. Lol

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »
 :likebutton: good deal

I would suggest using solid & not tube, a couple pieces of 1/2” Black pipe cut to 1” long would work too. Anytime you use tube it can compress or with rounded corners rock loose. The solid doesn’t compress......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 01:41:25 AM »
I finally got around to getting spacers built.  I used 1" pieces of 2 1/2"x1/2" wall DOM tubing with old body mount washers between them and the new poly transmission mounts. 

I then flipped my carrier bearing cross member back over and put the bearing back on top.  The front section of my drive shaft ended up about 3/4" too short, so I'll end up getting it re tubes. 

I still have exhaust to figure out, and I can't remember how to mount the alternator, but I am making slow progress.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:51:37 AM by Dfarm01 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
:like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal