Hello Guest

Author Topic: Generac GP8000E  (Read 3163 times)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Generac GP8000E
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
The wife and I were in Costco a few days ago and ran across this floor model for $600. Regular price was $900 and MSRP of $1,000. I know very little about generators so I am wondering if this one is worth keeping for $600 or if I should return it and invest that $600 into something else. Mainly, we want to be able to run 2 freezers and the refrigerator in the event of a power outage. Replacing the meat in those freezers would cost more than we paid for the generator so we desperately needed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Generac GP8000E
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »
Without knowing if the 8000 is surge of continuous (which for your needs is irrelevant) I think you've got a good deal. And I can't speak to reliability, but I think there are a few of them in guys possession in this site, and I think they're good as well from what I recall.
Fridges and freezers run in the 8-12 amp per range depending on size. Some more some less, but generally these are the numbers they fall into.

So, if we use 12 per for 36 amps you will be using 4320 watts of the generators capacity.
To bring efficient capacity in, if it is 8000 continuous, most efficient would be in the 5-6000 range, so it would leave a little 'extra'.

I could go into far more detail, but it just gets complicated beyond this.

So it would certainly do, and give water pump, air conditioner additionally as well, or some other maybe more essential conveniences.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:43:36 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »
That is a fantastic deal

I paid $529 with my military discount for a 5500 watt Generec a few years ago. Mine would easily run the frig's you describe. That one will use some gas, but well, well worth the money

Keep it and use it

But, really...Do use it about once every month or two or you will have gas quality issues and run problems

Add some gas life extender what ever you call it stuff to the crappy gas (Gas purchased in America) to prevent issues if you forget to run the thing and regularly replenish a portion of the fuel in the tank.

Good buy!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:47:45 PM »
Fuel stabilizer.
Yes a very good idea.
Also run premium or number one or supreme.
Whatever they call it. No ethanol, better crappy gas...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Generac GP8000E
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gentleman. There's a fuel station about 4 miles from here that carries non ethanol fuel so that's what I run in all my small engines. This generator will get the same.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »
I think that's a great deal. I just got (a few months ago) the XG8000e....I think it's basically the same with a few extra tweaks....but mine was $1200....so I think you got a great deal. I'm pretty sure yours (like mine) will be 10,000 surge watts and 8,000 running. I'm planning to run a lot more than what you're describing.

Ditto to the comments on Stabil or something similar. I start it once a month but so far haven't needed it yet. I'm having an electrician rig a plug and isolator switch in a bit so I can just plug it in and run what I want through the circuits so I don't have to run cords everywhere.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »
According to the manual you are correct about the surge watts Wilbur. Being a display, this one didn't have the manual but I found it on manualslib.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:31:04 AM »
I think you'll be able to power a lot more than just the freezers and fridges. When I was trying to determine how big a one I needed I looked at my highest power usage per month over the past year....it was a 2044 kwh month (for a 32 (?) day month)....but that put me at an average of 2.66 per day....the guide suggested because you don't know the peak demand to add 5 to that which got me to 7.66 so I figured I was safe with 8K with 10K peak. Now I don't have Al Gore electricity use but we have do use quite a lot. Lights, 2 fridges, tv's computers, etc. We have oil heat but forced hot air and elec water heat, elec dryer, so we're not missing much in terms of electrical use that's for darn sure.  :rolleyes:

If you have one of those clamp on voltmeter you could get a better read to be sure.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:57:00 AM »
I think you got a good deal. Looks like the newer model and rated for 10k surge, iron sleeve. Put a little solar panel on the start battery and never worry.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-6954-Portable-Generator/p70771.html

I have a 3k Generac in my TH (onan clone) and it runs great with about 300hrs on it.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stewie

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
excellent deal. generac's are great units.
Equal Opportunity Hater

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
Not to
Complicate matters but most things with an electric motor have tremendous current draw to get the motor started. Known as LRA or locked rotor amps. This LRA is many multiples of the running amperage draw. Make sure to consider this in your calculations esp for things like compressors and air conditioners

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
Ditto TRN's comment-  the Generac chart shows that- they have fridges/freezers at 700 or 800 draw (which I know ultimately depends on the vintage) with something like 2000 surge iirc.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Generac GP8000E
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
That's what I was reading about last night. According to the manual it says to allow 3 times the running watts for starting each device. I really appreciate all of you chiming in. This is the first generator I've owned so any pointers, tips, suggestions are welcome.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:36:04 AM by longball »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
I run dino oil for break in and using a diesel type oil is better for solid lifters (more zinc)

Then I change to synthetic after about 1-2 hours. Be sure it has a magnet in the oil.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
I saw that synthetic 5-30 is recommended for any temperature range. I'll have to check but I think that's the same weight I run in my atvs. That'd be too handy so it's probably something slightly different. What is the benefit of running conventional during break in?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
It cleans better and the zinc is better for non roller engines, plus it gets more of the little particles out.

Some of the diesels we used to build used ATF for breakin. Some even new from the factory.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal