VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

trailer weight distribution questions

(1/15) > >>

Bigdave_185:
Anyone up with bumper pull exp for a equalizer hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR:
Still there?

Bigdave_185:
Home safe, wondering if someone can walk me through determining if I have the load bars set to low or high.   The trailer is empty (toy hauler) and it bounces my truck pretty good down the road.   It looks to sit flat.  Not much V or how ever you call it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilbur:
Dave I'm sure they're are others here with more experience with me (used them towing a 26' trailer cross country and back but not more than that). My understanding is you hook up the trailer to the TV, load the trailer and then apply the torsion bars to level the trailer and vehicle.

You likely need to readjust the torsion bars when you're unloaded versus loaded as the weights will be completely different. What I mean is if it's set correctly when loaded it will be incorrect when unloaded so my guess is trailer will wander (less weight on it). If it's correct when empty and then you load it you'll likely see more sagging on the TV which means less weight on the front end, trailer pulling more etc. Does that make sense?

I also found that I needed to make sure my brake controller was set correctly to be sure I got full stopping power versus wheel lock on the trailer.

I'm sure others will chime in who know more than me. What problems were you seeing?

Sammconn:
How long?
How heavy(tongue weight)?

The reality is that the equalizer bars move weight to the front axle.
I ask length and tongue weight, as once you hit the 25-28 foot mark sway reduction is a good idea.
As long as you've set the bars to take weight, they will be helping.
Then based on tongue weight you may need to adjust.

The truck bouncing tells me you may have had them a little tight.
I know when I've went overboard it feels more bouncy.
It takes almost a full summer of towing the dang thing to figure out the sweet spot.

My .02 from the past.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version