Commuication, Information Technology and Automation > Tech/Electronics

Dash Cams

(1/4) > >>

BobbyB:
i have a dash cam (read : a cheap one) and it supports up to a 32GB memory card, is there a way to have it put the video files on a hard drive in the car? I tried a larger memory card but it doesn't work. I thought about it while I was driving home from work.

dave945:
I wonder if you could use one of the eyefi cards in it. It's basicallly a SD memory card with short range wireless that can write to a laptop or other network drive. Then it would all be available on a device you could watch it on. Assuming said laptop survived a crash or whatever the dashcam recorded.

Bigdave_185:
Is there any reason you want to store the files?  Most dash cameras have a record over feature.  They will record over the oldest files until you need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: Bigdave_185 on April 25, 2017, 09:04:17 PM ---Is there any reason you want to store the files?  Most dash cameras have a record over feature.  They will record over the oldest files until you need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

This one will record over the older files, but SUPPOSEDLY the 32GB card will record 14hrs (roughly) of footage. However I've noticed that sometimes I won't get near that amount, to the point where I recorded over the AM footage when I was driving home in the PM. So that's where I'm wondering if there's a better way.

Spacecase544:
I suppose you could use a Raspberry Pi micro computer running a modified Linux OS.  The board has Wi-Fi, so you could use the eyeFi card or a USB connection to the board.  Once on the board, connect it to an external hard drive or a thumb drive, since the onboard micro SD can only handle 32 GB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version