Hello Guest

Author Topic: Boating Safety Checklist  (Read 9996 times)

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Boating Safety Checklist
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »
If you show around a half tank on the gauge and it takes around 18 gallon to fill it back up it should be close. Check it when it shows 1/4 tank too. If you are looking to see just how far you can go before running out, you will be in trouble at some point. Remember, depends on how the boat is loaded and/or how level it is running, the gauge is trying to read a moving mass. Even on the trailer it depends on how level you are, and the shape of the tank. Try to run on the top half, enjoy the trip, should have nice weather.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2017, 02:37:50 PM »
GPS is in hand now and I will report back accuracy. Thank you, all.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
If you were closer, I'd give you my portable gas tank I used when I had my boat.  Something like this but mine doesnt have the pump.  It holds 30 gallons.  Fill at the station and then gravity feed from dock

http://www.boatdepot.com/p-331/todd-gas-caddy-with-inline-consumer-pump?gclid=CjwKEAjwpdnJBRC4hcTFtc6fwEkSJABwupNiIF2nuQYyy9J2aRiXY1gXU96mAU99BN70H15UAc0bJhoCMLbw_wcB
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
That's funny, I was looking at one like that last night.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
Ok, update. Polaris Navigation app, fantastic. with 3 allowed waypoints on the free version I will probably purchase the full deal, but from my place to the fuel dock is 10 miles and it shows lat/lon, speed, time to location, GPS and magnetic compass are pretty spot on. I would recommend this to anyone. We made the trip out to Coupeville yesterday evening and had a blast.

My best estimate is that the boat gets 3-4mpg. We played around for 3 days before last night, showed just under half tank and when we filled up at the fuel dock it took 22gal, meaning we still had 14 in the 36 gal tank, approx. half, so gauge is on point. installing thru hull sonar this weekend. Not an expensive unit so I will be reporting back on accuracy, possibly upgrading. I don't have super high hopes for this, but we'll see.

Also, the Livingston dinghy is great, threw a 30lb thrust minn kota at her and she runs against the chop and wind with no issues. swapped out the prop for a larger, weedless and it seems to have more punch, but that might just be in my head. oh well, it was only $19. However, comma, there are several worn through spots in the hull where it'd been dragged and the gel coat is shot. i'll be using some marine tex and fiberglass to fix these areas and send some resto pics. No fluid change mind you, but this is my first foray into this arena and I appreciate all feedback.

Pics from last night's trip:

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »
Note to anyone in the PNW heading to this wharf; I called ahead to make sure someone would be there at the fuel dock. She not only stayed late for me, but about 1/2 mile out, called me back to tell me she could see me heading in, guided me to the best position with the wind and current, and brought Sophie a hot chocolate. She's been working there for the last 25 years.

Oh, and the Seahawks hat went swimming. I don't think it's a very good swimmer because it didn't come back up...

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »
Glad you had a good trip and the fuel gauge is right. You can get a balloon tire kit for the dingy, makes it easy to get back and forth to the water and no damage to the bottom  because of dragging. That little boat is perfect for dropping a crab pot out in front of the house. Not a full day of crabbing, but one or two for dinner.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
Thought about inflatables, but with the literal tons of mussel shells and barnacles on my beach, I don't want to deal with flats. I've got these guys going on the boat hopefully tomorrow after work. https://www.amazon.com/Brocraft-Flip-up-Dinghy-Aluminum-Inflatable/dp/B019UR89VA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496764378&sr=8-3&keywords=dinghy+wheels

Funny thing is, the neighbors tell us the best crabbing in the bay is right in front of my house about 20 yards past the buoy, deep channel and good currents. I'm looking forward to the next few months. my wife and son and I are all getting licenses and plan on raising our cholesterol considerably.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »
Don't know how I missed this. Sounds like you had a good time and got good advice.

On fuel, figure 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 for whatever happens.

Besides you basic spares, carry a water pump spare impeller.

Running at night is when you start to sweat. If you can't see, don't get up on plane.

Crabbing sounds great, to bad you aren't closer to where we are scouting at the end of the month.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:02:29 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
Don't know how I missed this. Sounds like you had a good time and got good advice.

On fuel, figure 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 for whatever happens.

Besides you basic spares, carry a water pump spare impeller.

Running at night is when you start to sweat. If you can't see, don't get up on plane.

Crabbing sounds great, to bad you aren't closer to where we are scouting at the end of the month.

I'm inboard/outboard, you mean spare prop? and a water pump for the motor, not bilge right? we had a great time. Dungeness will be on the table very soon. I got a bayou classic burner from a work contest a month or so ago and have yet to fire it up. i'll be cleaning and cooking at the shore line :cheesy:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »
Spare prop is OK, but changing in the water is no fun.

I mean an impeller for the marine water pump. http://parts.promarineusa.com/productdetail/M50/1/1/64127

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
Oh, OK I see what you're talking about. I don't think I have that though. I'm enclosed cooling system running antifreeze. would I have this?

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
Yes you should still have a sea water pump. The sea water side cools the engine coolant and discharges through the exhaust manifold. Not a Merc guy, but they all work about the same. There should be some sort of a filter on the sea water side that will need to be cleaned time to time. Used to be able to download manuals from I-boats and those guys on the forum are good help if you have questions about a problem or maintenance issue. 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
Not knowing your boat, but I would saw yes since you have anti freeze.

That link was from a merc 4.3, isn't that what you have?

We cleaned/checked the filter every time we took the boat out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
Looks like it is on the crankshaft attached to the damper.

Page 110-112 here http://www.4shared.com/file/118382348/48c7f821/7743365_Engine_Manual_43_ABCDE.html

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Thanks JR. I was reading up on it in the meantime and will definitely keep one on hand. I'm closed cooling, but still bring in sea water to the heat exchanger, just not through the water jackets on the block. mucho mejor than full raw water cooling for saltwater, but still need to stay on top of it. thanks for making me think. this is why I put this stuff on here.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
Well, this was exciting. Thursday afternoon Cyndie calls me frantic... the boat's come loose from the mooring buoy and we have 20mph winds and 4' waves. God was just teaching me a lesson though. Neighbor kid sees the boat drifting and towards shore, he grabs the snapped bowline and holds tight. I'm an hour out mind you, but a friend was able to get down and help him get it fired up and on the water to the boat launch to trailer it. By the time I get home, they are just pulling up to the driveway. The prop got hammered when they floored it in reverse so close to shore. that's it. no hull damage, no broken cleats, no outdrive damage, not even the skeg.

Lessons learned:

Saltwater mooring buoy line should be MUCH shorter than a standard bow or sternline. I had tied off some stainless hardware and just hooked on expecting winds and current to maintain tension, but during slacktide the overly long rope wrapped itself around the buoy chain and when the wind picked up, toast.

TWO mooring lines. one may fail, two probably not. I now have a top cleat line and bowline off the front trailering ring for the winch strap. The cop cleat line several inches longer than the bottom line to show if one has failed at a glance.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »
Sorry about the prop. Hope you used the heck out of that boat this past weekend

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Wow, that's small compared to what could have happened!  A good prop shop should be able to patch that up and balance it fairly reasonably.  :beercheers:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »
Tate, make yourself a dedicated buoy line... use some heavy nylon rope, one of these (https://tinyurl.com/yacp87an), and a big stainless carabiner, and then moor from the bow winch eyelet. Not sure if you said you were mooring from the eyelet or the cleat, but by mooring from there, it will keep the bow up in big chop and wind too. Another trick is to run your buoy line through a pool noodle, this not only makes it easy to grab when going to hook up, but the rigidity it provides keeps your bow off the buoy when slack  :beercheers:.

THEN, use a bowline slightly longer than your buoy line by a couple feet, tied from the buoy to your bow cleat as a backup.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, smoother water on the horizon my friend!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:11:21 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
bullet dodged.  I'd probably get a new prop and keep that one as a spare..
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
Sorry about the prop. Hope you used the heck out of that boat this past weekend

We did get lots of fun out of it after the prop was changed out!
bullet dodged.  I'd probably get a new prop and keep that one as a spare..

I am keeping the old prop for now, but so far have not been able to find anyone to repair and balance for less than $100, same as I can get a new prop for.
Tate, make yourself a dedicated buoy line... use some heavy nylon rope, one of these (https://tinyurl.com/yacp87an), and a big stainless carabiner, and then moor from the bow winch eyelet. Not sure if you said you were mooring from the eyelet or the cleat, but by mooring from there, it will keep the bow up in big chop and wind too. Another trick is to run your buoy line through a pool noodle, this not only makes it easy to grab when going to hook up, but the rigidity it provides keeps your bow off the buoy when slack  :beercheers:.

THEN, use a bowline slightly longer than your buoy line by a couple feet, tied from the buoy to your bow cleat as a backup.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, smoother water on the horizon my friend!

This is exactly how I have it now. Pool noodle is a great idea and adds high visibility, really great tip! I did have it only on the cleat and the line was just too long, but the noodle would have prevented everything that transpired. (however I might not have learned to anchor to the bow winch eyelet had it not come loose).

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:15:42 AM by EL TATE »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
Yeah, in high winds, with a high chop, if tied off from the bow cleat, the buoy will effectively pull the bow down since its such a tall anchor point. By anchoring to the winch eyelet, it gives you much more bow to brunt the oncoming chop against a high wind, makes the bow want to crest a wave rather than cut under it. Learned that the hard way in Chelan, where the wind can kick up and produce a nasty swell...
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal