VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

Any plumbers on here?

(1/4) > >>

EL TATE:
I've got an issue here. no pick of the splined attachment, but suffice it to say there is a screw that goes through the center of the externally splined piece and holds it to the broken end you see in the pics. then faucet handle slides over the splines and a small allen head set screw holds it in place. a shampoo bottle fell from on high and took out the hot water faucet, and after 4 separate epoxy missions the mounting base the splined coupler attaches to is finally inop. it looks as though I could remove that outer white piece and replace just the valve itself, replace the tap handles (both cold and warm just to make sure they match) without getting into the wall and doing tile work. (don't want to do tile work). Any thoughts, tips, words of encouragement, time to call the professionals?

stlaser:
Shut water to valve off (may have to shut whole house off?). Pull plastic valve out, go to plumbing supply house & buy new. They may have to order it in.

Normally there are rights and lefts (cold or hot) valves. Sometimes they are the same for both sides just depends on model & how handle works. My past experience is they always have the side in stock I don't need but in a pinch they normally interchange. Just the handle turns wrong way, in a jam it gets you up & running if you can isolate the line going to the bathroom to leave rest of house water on.

Not a plumber, but have 4 women in my house. Been there done that......

Tate, if you have further questions you know how to reach me brother!

rpar86:
Yeah what he said. Should be able to just replace the 'stem'. Might even be able to find it at Home Depot or the like.

stlaser:
Other thought, if HD or Lowes doesn't stock it only buy the broken side from the plumbing supply house to get you going if it's an emergency. Then buy the other side from an online supply house, usually much cheaper. If it's not an emergency you may be able to get a part number off of the plastic valve & order it all online.

EL TATE:
right now I can still turn the center plastic piece covered in epoxy with needle nose pliers. it used to protrude about 1/2 further than it does now and is what broke off originally. the lighter, white surround piece looks removable and appears to retain the "stem". I'm looking for a plumbing supply store near me because HD and Lowes staff look at me like I'm from space

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version