Hello Guest

Author Topic: Canned soup on kids school supply list  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Canned soup on kids school supply list
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
Got the new updated school supply list. They added that every child should have 2 cans of soup. We thought maybe the school website was hacked or it was a joke. My wife emaled the school and this was the reply.

Why soup?  GREAT question!!   Recent school safety training incorporates a Run, Fight, Hide protocol for responding to violent intruders in the building.  If a student is unable to run or hide a  recommended method for distracting a violent intruder is throwing something at them... thus the two cans of soup (which will be stored in each students desk).   Please let us know if you have any other questions!

There is nothing funny about a school intruder but Can you imagine someone bursting in a room only to be pummled with 30 cans of soup?  I've never been hit with a can of soup but I've dropped a few on my foot. It hurts bad. I'd say that would be a pretty good deterrent. I would have never thought of that.

Any other parents heard of this?

I also thought some of you without children may find this interesting.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Canned soup on kids school supply list
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
When I read the title I figured this was part of the you pay for the less fortunate same as why we need to supply a dozen boxes of crayons and a gross of #2 pencils.

But yeah, my oldest told me about the RFH protocol. That's been in place for many years in a lot of schools. Just never heard of having to supply soup.

I'd rather have a few well trained teachers packing myself & a few AR's locked up in the school office with trained admins. Visit rural Texas & you'll find well placed road signs near schools telling you that if you choose to come into our schools we're armed and ready to shoot first & ask questions later. Parts of Texas still give me a warm & fuzzy feeling just thinking of it.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
Man, I would have to think about that one....having kids throw soup at an intruder? with possibly an AR or AK ? They must assume that a bad guy isn't bats*** crazy and will respect the youth and not "hurt" them. hmm
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:12:57 PM »
The "fight" part means just that. In a school situation they are assuming it's a kid with a gun. If the gunman gets in the room you fight with everything you have. Throw chairs etc to give you the chance to get the gun. Personally, I like it better than cowering in a corner and crying.

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »
Throwing stuff might be ok if you are just trying to buy enough time for the trained staff to be able to take deadly action

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »
Throwing stuff might be ok if you are just trying to buy enough time for the trained staff to be able to take deadly action

exactly
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
I would like to see the teachers armed. Maybe not ALL of them. we had some pretty nutty teachers in school.
I do see the point of having something heavy at hand to throw as a distraction. Wether the intruder is an escaped convict or another student. Over the past few years 2 people escaped the local county jail. Maybe that's what they are afraid of. The county is in the process of building a new jail. Should be completed this fall.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
You guys never saw crocodile Dundee? Can of soup is the perfect weapon mate! :facepalm:

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:40 PM »
All I have to say is that we'd better keep it on he down low before the libs catch wind of it and make a law about having to registered to carry beef stew.  I wonder if they have recommended sizes:  1-3 grade bring tomato paste since they are smaller, 4-6 can brin tandard soup can size, 7 and up would be the 28 oz cans. If you are on one of the athletic teams, you can take the selective training for carry and use of #10 cans.

I'm not trying to make light of this(okay, I am), but they are essentially telling us what we already know, you are responsible for your own safety. Maybe it's a good thing, enough people get scared of their kids being responsible for carry and use of spaghetti-os and maybe we can get teachers and other school personnel armed and trained. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:26 PM »
My answer. https://youtu.be/qg4oyHfrcfk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 11:10:32 PM »
My answer. https://youtu.be/qg4oyHfrcfk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to see this in a mini-gun form.

I'm torn in stuff like this but I guess in baby steps at least acknowledging that kids should fight back in some manner is better than teaching them to do nothing. I do think learning to throw them accurately is a logical next step.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 07:23:43 AM »
That would work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal