VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

To build or not to build

(1/12) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
So, I'm not sure if this should be in the Build Thread section or maybe in drive line.  Mods feel free to move. (change my profile or whatever else yall do to harass me...)

I would like to have a purely mechanical vehicle for a number of reasons.  A friend is offering me a free vehicle and I'm contemplating whether it might be worth a build, knowing that I am likely to go full retard oil change...

So here is the vehicle:  It is a 1985 Land Rover Series III 88 inch wheelbase 4cyl gas. It is right hand drive.  Body is aluminum and interior has been redone.

Frame is rusted and would have to be replaced.  I would not want to keep the gas engine and I would look to likely have different running gear.

Admittedly I have no experience with Rovers.  I do know that complete aftermarket galvanized chassis is available so the frame issue is easy to fix.  The track width is 4ft. 3 1/2 inches.

I envision a new frame and hanging heavier duty axles underneath it and buying a P Pump 4bt and manual trans.

I'm out of my element here and could use some real world advice.  Does a RHD vehicle make swapping running  gear (front axle and steering) a challenge?  I know I can weld and fit the 4bt and transmission, but the transfer case and axles give me some heartburn.  While it may be a free vehicle its easily a 10K plus project with new frame and a running 4bt and some new axles and transfer case.

It would fit the bill of no power anything, no AC, nada.  Simple and bullet proof and go anywhere.

So any advice here?  Should I just buy an old Jeep and run the other direction from this thing?

Flyin6:
Could you change it to left hand drive?

Do you just want to build something unique?

If the answer is no, then what reason would you have to build something that would be such a challenge.

An old jeep would fit the ticket wouldn't it?

And, just today, I found a small collection of WW2 jeeps. At a car lot!

One is pretty complete. hat would be something to consider building, or a M38, old J-10 Jeep, or a CJ-2 to CJ-5

Heck a texas found Scout II would by far be my first choice

stlaser:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on August 02, 2017, 12:10:56 AM ---Could you change it to left hand drive?

Do you just want to build something unique?

If the answer is no, then what reason would you have to build something that would be such a challenge.

An old jeep would fit the ticket wouldn't it?

And, just today, I found a small collection of WW2 jeeps. At a car lot!

One is pretty complete. hat would be something to consider building, or a M38, old J-10 Jeep, or a CJ-2 to CJ-5

Heck a texas found Scout II would by far be my first choice

--- End quote ---

Negative on the Scout IMO, they aren't that great off road even built from my experience.

So free isn't really free here. Do you need a truck or a SUV? Personally I would find a TJ that needs some love if an SUV fits the bill. Maybe one that needs a driveline. Tons of aftermarket support to get the driveline you want in there and be plenty capable.

TexasRedNeck:
Free aint always cheap, I guess.

What about something like this for a project?  I want a 4bt 4wd that can carry 4 and no electronics.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-cj8-scrambler-price/6235007807.html

stlaser:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on August 02, 2017, 07:03:01 AM ---Free aint always cheap, I guess.

What about something like this for a project?  I want a 4bt 4wd that can carry 4 and no electronics.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-cj8-scrambler-price/6235007807.html

--- End quote ---

Personally I dislike leaf sprung jeeps, but that's just me which is why I said a TJ. There is a place here local that parts complete jeeps out. To me it seems all you really need is a body and frame. You don't want the electronics & buying it like this that stuff is stripped out already so they did a bunch of work for you. Then buy an after market suspension, axles, tires, motor, trans, t-case (steering column or hydro setup?) & large fuel tank the way you want it. Really this sounds like the tube chassis builds I used to do...... sometimes we used a tj tub to start too....

Plenty of chassis guys making roller 4 seat tube chassis now with 1 ton axles....

Edit again: more I think about this maybe that's the way to go. Super light to let that 4bt use all its minimal power to go go

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version