Hello Guest

Author Topic: All terrain tires for the half ton  (Read 1343 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
All terrain tires for the half ton
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
So I've put a few miles on the 2016 F150 this year traveling to help mom. With a truck that comes equipped with a selectable rear locker and winter approaching (first real snow due Monday here on front range) I started looking for a better replacement.

I've been getting over 20 mpg on the highway when I drive reasonable and am trying to not affect that much. Heavy loads are hauled on a trailer so a heavy load rate tire is just not necessary. My neighbor run cooper SST's on his tundra & has been happy.

I stopped in the local discount tire today and had them quote me bfg all terrain as well as duratracs. A reminder I do like the duratracs as I have them on the Jeep but did have to replace one when I completely gutted the side wall. Thin side walls are one drawback to them. I then asked the sales guy if he had anything else he would recommend? He put me on to the Cooper ATP as they were a good $20 to $45 per tire less and had a 55k warranty with them. They also are currently offering a $70 rebate on a set of 4 for this model.

So after some more research this last evening & on the recommendation of my neighbor I ordered a set from discounttiredirect.com with free shipping and they do not collect sales tax so they must not have a retail or warehouse operation here in CO. Delivered I paid $732.00 minus the $70 rebate I'll have new rubber on the truck for $166 a corner plus mount and balance. I might add they are also made here in the USA.

With over a quarter tread left on stock units I should be able to recoup some money from stock skins on CL here shortly, we have a winter tire law that requires 1/4" deeper tread or more and if not you can be fined.

Here's a link to the new skins.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-atp_suv.aspx

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:30:33 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: All terrain tires for the half ton
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
I've heard the coopers are a good tire. They should get the job done. My tire guy said that BFG is getting to be like Michelin. Paying for the name. Plenty of cheaper options out there just as good or better.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
I've heard the coopers are a good tire. They should get the job done. My tire guy said that BFG is getting to be like Michelin. Paying for the name. Plenty of cheaper options out there just as good or better.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I'm not against BFG, they sponsor quite a bit with off-road racing. I'm not currently involved in any teams so my loyalty isn't bought any longer. They have a good product but am with you that I just don't know if it's worth their price tag any longer. Cooper had a facility in a local town where I am from and they were a good company for quite a few years but have since divested that plant as a few others. They employed a lot of families with good pay. Again, it was a positive the tires were American made but not a defining factor per se. I also looked at national tire and wheel but they weren't the fit for a non hardcore offering in my opinion. Jeep will be getting larger rubber next year with axle swap so I'll try them again then.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
Those look somewhat like the Toyo AT's, which are a great tire in their own right.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
When it comes to the eurotrash cars I've owened, michelin tires were much better than anything else out there, price or not.

Truck tires, are a different story.  I've liked BFGs, Goodyear and Toyo and Nitto.  I just dont put enough miles on them to really tell.  What ever I get on the truck the road hazard from discount is worth its weight in gold.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal