Hello Guest

Author Topic: Christmas memories  (Read 347 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Christmas memories
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
Many years ago when I was a inflight manitenance technican on the Airborne Command Post (the airplane with the keys to launch the nukes) because of the mission of the aircraft we had some priorities with things. We sitting in the alert bunker a plan was hatched and the maintenance and radio operators went out to the aircraft fired up the radios and started calling remote bases, camps and forts and asked if they would like to place a call home. This was before Facebook, moral call and the like. Bring some Chritsmas joy to families a minutes at a time. Most likly the best Christmas I spent away from the family.

Anyone else have some milatry Christmas stories?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas memories
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:24:29 PM »
Not military but one I will never forget. When I was still long haul trucking I was in Los Angles a few days before Christmas. Waiting for my load back to Nebraska. I got the message to trade trailers with a husband and wife team who had just quit.I had 3 days to get to Boston with a load of whipped cream. I went through several logbooks that trip. I didn't pick up the load so my name wasn't on the paperwork. Every time ran out of hours I just started over saying I just picked up the load from the orignal driver.  I had my wife and kids meet me  for a quick Christmas dinner at the T/A in Council Bluffs on my way through. By the time I got to Boston Christmas eve I was beat. I got lost and backed into a car. Luckily that car belonged to a local firefighter. He gave me better directions. We exchanged info and he sent me on my way. I dumped off that load and headed to a truck stop in Worchester Mass. I guess they pronounced it Woosta. I slept the rest of the day, all night and into mid morning. I got up and went in for breakfast and seen a note on the counter that said if any truckers were stuck over Christmas call this number. I didn't think anything of it until I went to the drivers lounge and all the guys were talking about this family that's going to pick everyone up and cook them Christmas dinner. A retired trucker and his disabled wife took in 6 or 8 of us. Got a little gift and the worst spaghetti dinner I ever had. I mean it was just horrible! However the fellowship we all received was almost overwelming. No one knew anyone else but here we were like family. All talking and joking like we knew each other all our lives. I often think of that family. We lost touch years ago. I would love to get in touch with them again.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal