WEAPONS > Firearms

224 Valkyrie

<< < (2/7) > >>

cudakidd53:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on January 20, 2018, 12:19:42 PM ---I know nothing.

I’ll run some data through the ballistic calculator next week.

Frankenstein loads won’t get you much in barter or in interoperability when the fecal matter spatters

However keep in mind that all the dudes shooting 243 and 7wsm in competitions were only getting about 4000 rounds down a barrel before it was worn out from all that hot powder in the throat.

Speed kills barrels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Great points Charles.....wasn't so much worried about barter as much as long distance communication with prairie dogs, coyotes and the like in my retirement.......and maybe vaporizing full beer cans at Don's Kintukee cottage!

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: cudakidd53 on January 20, 2018, 01:41:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on January 20, 2018, 12:19:42 PM ---I know nothing.

I’ll run some data through the ballistic calculator next week.

Frankenstein loads won’t get you much in barter or in interoperability when the fecal matter spatters

However keep in mind that all the dudes shooting 243 and 7wsm in competitions were only getting about 4000 rounds down a barrel before it was worn out from all that hot powder in the throat.

Speed kills barrels

--- End quote ---

Great points Charles.....wasn't so much worried about barter as much as long distance communication with prairie dogs, coyotes and the like in my retirement.......and maybe vaporizing full beer cans at Don's Kintukee cottage!

--- End quote ---
All I can offer you is a tad less than 250 meters bro.

Now having said that, when I buy the other three farms surrounding me, if that ever happens, shooting to that next ridge and beyond we could get you out to 700 or more easily, I think.

I am finding that .224 V interesting

I used to be a big fan of the .220 Swift. Sort of like this...

cudakidd53:
What intrigues me is my assumption that it should allow me to just build another upper and pin it to my existing .308 ? Wouldn’t it be the same lower in AR 10 configuration?   Charles, Bobby?

Bob Smith:
Charles, I was told it wasn't the speed as much as all the powder burning that ate up barrels. Cuda, more important to know what the bullet is doing at the needed range than how fast it is getting there. I know the wind is not a friend but heavier keeps a better line than faster. A good old .257 Roberts improved is about as good as it gets for longer range yote hunting.

TexasRedNeck:
Correct Bob but to get little bitty bullets going fast you gotta have lots of powder. Some 243 AIs I’ve seen are pushing 4000fps and have barrel life much shorter than 4000 rounds. As little as 2000 rounds at times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version