Hello Guest

Author Topic: Too much common sense  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Too much common sense
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »

Since Sandy Hook in 2012 there have been 239 school shootings nationwide. 438 of our children and school employees have been shot with 138 killed. In the same period there have been over 5,000 fires at educational properties averaging only one death a year. As many as 7,000 children are struck down by cardiac arrest each year, yet with AED intervention within 5-7 minutes some statistics show up to an 83% survival rate is realized.

We have fire extinguishers on every corner of our school’s hallways. We have automated integrated fire suppression systems as a matter of law in most educational facilities. We have AED machines in almost every gymnasium. Yet we have 17 kids dead as of yesterday. What is the difference? What is the blindingly, obvious difference about our responses to each of these tragedies?

If yesterday there had been a gas leak which led to an explosion killing 17 children, we would have put every measure possible in place in every school in the nation to make sure if it happened again, we could save more lives. If the homecoming king collapsed on the 50-yard line yesterday, 100 brand new AED’s would be donated to school districts who couldn’t afford them in his name in an effort to save lives.

Yet today we argue. Half of our nation argues about the atrocities of “gun violence” and the need to ban guns, while the other half argues for the right to keep and bear arms and the use of them in defense of our children. Nothing changes. We will argue until things calm down and the issue will be put to bed until the next active killing incident.

A spattering of politicians and law enforcement personnel will grace our television sets for the next two weeks telling us how this must stop and how they will insure us for the safety of our children every effort to eradicate these tragedies will be employed. This line of thinking is ignorant and sheepish. You can’t stop a tsunami, you must put up a wall. Even so, there will be deaths if the tsunami is of greater force than the integrity of your defense against it.

You cannot eradicate fire. Fire will always be fire. You cannot eradicate the potentiality of sudden cardiac arrest. There aren’t always warning signs such an event will metabolize. You cannot eradicate the active killer. Until the end of time, there will be individuals with the propensity to commit violence against other human beings.

Fire suppression systems don’t prevent fires, they prevent deaths in fires. Automated external defibrillation doesn’t prevent cardiac arrest, it prevents death due to cardiac arrest. “Gun control” doesn’t prevent active killers and it sure doesn’t prevent death due to active killers. The second amendment doesn’t prevent active killers, nor does it prevent death due to active killers, yet that is all we argue. All our efforts and energy are being focused on mitigations which would have no effect on the active killer *or* the preservation of life.

You can put millions of dollars into mental health research and social media surveillance. You can put millions of dollars into gun buy back programs and efforts to eliminate firearms falling into the wrong hands. I applaud you for your efforts and you might just save a life or two which is priceless. But if each of you put half a million of those same dollars into mitigating the risks posed by an active killer, how many more lives could we save?

If in the future next to every glass encased fire extinguisher was a ballistic shield, heroes like Coach Feis could have used to engage an active killer how many lives could potentially be saved? If instead of $500 iPads, students were issued clear vinyl backpacks with a layer of 4A ballistic Kevlar sewn into them, how many lives could be saved? If instead of imprinting upon our children and staff the potentiality of them becoming victims, we imprinted upon them the fact they are all potential weapons, how many lives could be saved? If the same amount of money spent on the football stadium was put into the security and surveillance systems of our schools how many lives could be saved? What if just like integrated automatic fire protection we had the ability to confine an active killer to a certain area of our school with the touch of a button? How many lives could we save by simply recognizing, active killers exist and the only thing we can do about it, is to prepare to mitigate their effectiveness.

The future of mitigating the risks associated with active killers is not in the failed mistakes of our past, including gun control and mental health legislation. It is not in the hands of the talking heads who sensationalize these incidents for profit with their every breath.

The future is not in waiting for legislators or criminal justice practitioners to tell us how we should handle business to save lives. To save lives, we must recognize the threat exists, identify our vulnerabilities, assess our resources to mitigate our vulnerabilities and employ those resources to their fullest extent in order to handicap the effectiveness of active killers. The rest is just political agenda and noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Too much common sense
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »
That is extremely logical!! Well said and I will repeat and share this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »
My kids attend public school here in Colorado. Town of approx 25k, several schools in town. I have had kids in all three of one school (elementary, middle & highschool) each is like Fort Knox everytime I visit, either show an ID into a camera or answer questions such as your address. Of the three two have local police officers at them all the time it would seem (that being middle & high school). Whether it is during the school day or at after school events at least one officer is there. Friday nights in the fall there are several officers (largest crowds this high school gets by the way) at the home football games. I & my kids know several by first name even & make sure they know we appreciate them for their work. They are part of the system and a visible deterrent if you will. I’ll admit a few years ago it bothered me to see them at schools. 20 years ago we didn’t have the need for them at school (on a normal basis). Today I would be bothered if they were not there. A couple officers are even helping coach teams. I think more schools & communities should follow this lead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:34:54 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:48:02 AM »
Very well said and I feel your heated frustration here. I also wonder how the shooter gained access to the school. And why the FBI didn’t follow him closer after they were told he posted on YouTube last year that he wanted to be a “professional school shooter” and why no one was surprised that he did it. The whole If you see something Say something mantra was actually employed here but maybe not taken seriously???

My wife is a teacher at an elementary school. One day a local officer walked right in an open exterior door during school hours. The administration was reprimanded with a slap on the wrist.

There were a lot of issues at play here. Perhaps letting guard down was one. I understand that there are many people to watch, many people to follow up on and it takes time. But now there are 17 less to watch. To grow, to play, to marry, to know the love of having children of their own.

What is it going to take? These establishments of schools and churches are attacked by cowards because there is no deterrent. There must be more done  to make even the mentally disturbed think twice. I believe it should be so that retired military or police men and women should be given the opportunity to become a teacher or faculty in some capacity and be able to carry concealed and train the staff in house.  Public issuance of nomenclature on the subject should be announced that defensive measures are in place and tht “A” facility is fully qualified and capable of defending the occupants. Any show of hostility will be immediately met force. 
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Superwhdm

• I'm a super welder husband dad man!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:45 AM »
Just saw this on Fox this am. THIS is a step in the right direction. Finally SENSE!!!

https://www.seu.edu/blog/southeastern-university-polk-county-sheriffs-office-sentinel-program/
Car or Truck-Truck
Rural or City-Rural
Early morning or late night-Early Morning
Hard work or Easy Work-Smart Work

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:53 AM »
This may not be popular but then I've never worried about that much.

All this drama around school shooting is just fodder for anti gun zealots.  If you recall BHO after Sandy Hook said "if we can save the life of just one child" as a reason to ban so called "assault" rifles.  While we need to arm these soft target areas here is the real truth. If you are concerned about human life but turn a blind eye to other more deadly and solvable threats, then I have no time for you.

Take a look at the information excerpt from the article, which is linked.  Illegal immigrant violent crime and murder are 100% preventable and yet, when it comes to illegal immigrants, no liberal is saying, "if we can save the life of just one child, or one american by fixing the illegal immigrant problem"

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/crime/329589-the-truth-about-crime-illegal-immigrants-and-sanctuary-cities

The U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Sentencing Commission reported that as of 2014, illegal immigrants were convicted and sentenced for over 13 percent of all crimes committed in the U.S.

According to the FBI, 67,642 murders were committed in the U.S. from 2005 through 2008, and 115,717 from 2003 through 2009. The General Accounting Office documents that criminal immigrants committed 25,064 of these murders.

To extrapolate out these statistics, this means that a population of just over 3.5 percent residing in the U.S. unlawfully committed 22 percent to 37 percent of all murders in the nation. This is astounding.

Where is the libtard hollywood protest for these 25,000 senseless deaths?  What about the fact that medical errors are the #3 leading cause of deaths?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/03/476636183/death-certificates-undercount-toll-of-medical-errors

So until the same people screaming for gun control to "solve" for a few dozen deaths over a 10 year period, scream to solve bigger issues, I don't want to hear about it.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
Just saw this on Fox this am. THIS is a step in the right direction. Finally SENSE!!!

https://www.seu.edu/blog/southeastern-university-polk-county-sheriffs-office-sentinel-program/
YES!

This makes sense!

Takes one to stop one
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal