WEAPONS > Firearms

Ruger Precision 308

(1/6) > >>

stlaser:
So I haven’t bought one yet. Looking for thoughts on this from the long range guys here as I’m not in that category really. I have a local place I have trained with who have classes on the subject. Thinking this might be a reasonably priced starter option.

I currently own an SR-25 so the interchangeability of mags and ammo obviously peaked my interest. I’m hoping being a southpaw that Ruger at some point elects to build a left hand unit. Normally they don’t the first year or two but in the past have done so several years in on many platforms.

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

rcampbell:
I think they make pretty decent rifles. I'm pretty sure they use an AR-like barrel nut, and aftermarket prefit-barrels are available from decent barrel manufacturers, so if you ever needed to increase performance from the stock barrel, you'd be good to go.

I haven't fired one myself so can't speak to the trigger. The stock is nicely adjustable though.

One thing I never liked about the chassis systems with a tube fore-end, is that the scope always had to sit relatively high in relation to the bore, so that the objective lens would clear. But looks like their rail is thicker than normal, so perhaps you don't need super high rings. I'm sure it's noting to worry about though.

Would have been nicer to see at least a  24" barrel on the .308 model (like the 6.5CM and 6CM got), but with a decent bullet I'm sure it will still be ok, just a little less velocity.

Overall it's a pretty darn good value, and good starting point if you ask me!

stlaser:
As far as the length of barrel I wasn't against the 20" due to the folding stock option (shorter overall length when collapsed). Trigger I guess I need to do more research on. The LGS had one on the shelf way over priced but I was able to handle it and grope it sufficiently. I am not a spontaneous purchaser so it would be a few months before I pulled the trigger most likely as the JK is taking precedence at the moment.

rcampbell:
Might be worth a look into the Gen1 RPR vs. Gen2. I'm not sure what the differences are myself, but if they are insignificant (at least in your own opinion) then the Gen1 might save you a few bucks if you can find a decent used one.

I agree re: barrel, nothing wrong with 20", just limits max range a little more noticeably with a .308. When doing F/TR i had a .308 with a 30" barrel, pushing 155's at 3000fps, and it would for sure hit 1MOA ring with no problem, just really had to be on the ball with wind calls, and also make sure the reloads (ie. powder weight, seating depth etc.) were pretty bang on to keep the vertical stringing to minimum. Certainly all rounds suffer, but the fancy 6 and 6.5s just suffer less :)

What is your primary use going to be for the rifle?

stlaser:
Just target and being able to learn long range fundamentals etc. I have a 700 in 22-250 that I run on prairie dogs on occasion but would like to extend my ability at longer ranges & be proficient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version