WEAPONS > Firearms

Ruger Precision 308

<< < (2/6) > >>

TexasRedNeck:
.308 is a great round and doesnt get the respect it deserves.

It will make a good shooter out of you because you have to read the wind.  Distance is a matter of having a dope card. 

I have a 19.5 inch barreled 700 in .308 and have made hits to1000.

Honestly, Shawn, this may sound self serving, but spend the coin and get you a really great custom rifle.  Then you know for a fact when you miss it is you and not the rifle.

My GA Precision will shoot 1/4 inch 5 shot groups with handloads.  I know when I miss, it is me and not the rifle.  Usually its the wind call that I miss.  Distance is easy but the wind is a real test.

Just set aside $10k for the gun and optics.  Then you are good to go!

stlaser:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on March 25, 2018, 10:50:52 PM ---.308 is a great round and doesnt get the respect it deserves.

It will make a good shooter out of you because you have to read the wind.  Distance is a matter of having a dope card. 

I have a 19.5 inch barreled 700 in .308 and have made hits to1000.

Honestly, Shawn, this may sound self serving, but spend the coin and get you a really great custom rifle.  Then you know for a fact when you miss it is you and not the rifle.

My GA Precision will shoot 1/4 inch 5 shot groups with handloads.  I know when I miss, it is me and not the rifle.  Usually its the wind call that I miss.  Distance is easy but the wind is a real test.

Just set aside $10k for the gun and optics.  Then you are good to go!

--- End quote ---

You’re killing me Charles....... :tongue:

10k for a rifle/optic for me is a good 1-2 years saving up honestly. I’ll give up before I get to that amount most likely (realistically get impatient and buy other guns or gear). Maybe not but it’s some fat to chew on & consider no less.

KensAuto:
Come on Shawn, sell the Jeep and you're almost half way there.  :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

stlaser:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on March 25, 2018, 11:23:59 PM ---Come on Shawn, sell the Jeep and you're almost half way there.  :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Maybe a third of the way......

I don’t like selling stuff

Bear9350:
I would look at the Howa HCR before going with a RPR.  You can get the HCR for well under $1000 in .308 or right around $1000 in 6.5CM.  I can easily shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with my brother's  HCR in 6.5CM with cheap factory ammo.  If I wanted to spend more than that I would jump into a custom gun.  Last fall I got a custom in 6.5CM from TS Customs.  I had them put my barreled action together and I installed the trigger and dropped it into a relatively cheap chassis.  I'm into the rifle itself for just under $3000 and another $1000 for glass.  If I do my job I am shooting sub 1/4MOA groups at 100 and can hit a 6" gong at 550 yards all day long.  If you are reloading a custom barrel will be easier to reload for, if you aren't a custom barrel will not be nearly as picky on ammo.

This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards with factory ammo I can purchase for $.70 per round.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version