VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

Vehicle longevity, how long do they last?

(1/10) > >>

Flyin6:
Let's have a general discussion about vehicle reliability/vs longevity

So I already believe that these full sized diesel trucks last an "Uber-Long" time. I'd say one could plan for 300K miles with little maintenance on a duramax like truck, then expect to get at least another 100K out of it, perhaps 200K

But when it comes to small gassers, like these mid-sized SUV's or jeeps, or cars we also buy.

So my wife does not know how to stop driving. I bought her a Rubicon, the "GJ" in March of 2016, so we have just passed the two year mark. That jeep now has over 30,000 miles on it. I financed it for a bunch of years, but I wonder if it will last to the end. Whenever I start seeing over 100K miles, me, personally, I begin to get nervous. But I am obviously skewed toward the ultra conservative, as most of you happily drive vehicles with 130K-150K and more like it is nothing

So, generally speaking, when are these vehicles starting to time out?

Side note: When the GJ starts to hit that point, and we do not decide to sell it or trade it in, I may re-engine it and build it into a proper off roader

Nate:
honestly don, I think the days of vehicles lasting past 150k are about gone.  heck even to get to that point I believe they will require big $$$ just to fix the electronics (that control everything) that have been shoved into todays vehicles. 

my LBZ was about to roll 190k, and in the 10 years i owned it (i bought it 1 year old with 30k on the clock),
1. i replaced the entire front end twice in a matter of 4 years
2. had to replace the front diff because of the stupid "C" clip that wouldnt release on the shaft so i could replace the leaky seal
3. i had to have the CP3 replaced because it went bad
4. i had to replace the entire brake hardware 3 times because of crappy manufacturing
5. had to replace the power steering pump and hoses because of faulty manufacturing
6. the trans cooler lines were starting to leak because of faulty manufacturing
7. the straw that broke the camels back for me was when i started getting crazy engine electrical problems when i sprayed the engine down to find out where my oil leak was coming from, a day before i was to make a trip back to washington with my trailer to get the rest of my house.

sad thing is, i now own a new truck that is completely controlled by electronics..... :undecided:

to bad i still dont have the 1981 VW scirocco that i owned when i was stationed in germany.  it had a little 1.8ltr gas engine, automatic and the clock read 800K+....and it was given to me.

BobbyB:
My 2000 Tundra had 24x,xxx on it when I sold it, and I had no problems with it. The 98 XJ I donated last June had 24x,xxx on it and had I replaced the PCU or whatever it was I could've still been driving it.

Nate:
I also truly believe that auto manufactures build their vehicles with a true wear out date/time/mileage!  I also believe that depending on what day of the week your vehicle and the major components were made and assembled play a big part in the longevity as well!

Atkinsmatt:
Our company fleet (12ish) is almost entirely 07-10 model F150's.  The get used like construction vehicles by people who are using the bosses stuff like they don't care.  They routinely get the minimum maintenance to stay on the road, ie gas, oil changes and tires.  They have between 160,000 and 365,000 miles on them.  We do have to occasionally spend some on them as they continue to age, but not enough to convince the boss to replace them.  He is starting to consider replacing them as they approach 400k.  We have a couple gas F250's that are newer with 125,000ish miles on them and are treated about the same.

I am not a big ford guy, but the gas trucks take a beating and see a lot of miles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version