VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

2003 Ram 2500 front diff

<< < (3/8) > >>

wilsonphil:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on June 25, 2018, 10:21:08 PM ---Sounds like a good time for a GLO upgrade to that cover

--- End quote ---

since you mentioned the diff cover, you can see how it basically blasted the cover and almost punched thru.

wilsonphil:
So with any used vehicle you buy you always find surprises, and I found a bad one this weekend.  As I was changing the ball joints on this AAM 9.25 the drives side lower was a real challenge to get out once I got the joint out I saw why.  Whatever shop did this job last time must of gotten the joint cocked, but instead of stopping they kept going and galled the socket real good. People that charge money for doing this kind of hack job should not be allowed to change oil!

Now the new joint is loose in the socket, it pressed easy and i have about 1/16 movement in the socket radially, in other words when I turn the knuckle the ball joint moves.  So the options I have are as follows.

1.  Find a oversize ball joint.(this had Moog installed)
2.  Use a punch and peen the socket, apply Locktite sleeve locker and try to press it in again
3.  Find a new axle.

I will try options one and two to see if i can get it to work, problem with buying a used axle you might buy something with the same issue or worse!   

stlaser:
I'd PM Tate and see if he has any ideas. If there is a larger BJ he might know of it as Randy's sells them (where I bought mine for my SD 60 build).

I have trouble thinking that peening will hold with the loctite. We used to do this to scissor lift table legs when we'd wipe out an insert when boring them to salvage a couple hundred dollar set of parts. It was a band aid at best in my opinion for those parts.

Did they screw up the whole socket or just one side? If it was just one side wondering if you couldn't lay a little weld in there and die grind it back close enough to press joint back in? If you have a 1/16" of play thinking you could minimize that some.

wilsonphil:
I could also tack weld it in three places but that is not preferred but at this point what do i have to loose, it one of these options or a new housing.

stlaser:
Or just weld on a new inner c versus whole housing swap. I’d try laying a bit of weld in there & get largest OD sanding drum that still fits the hole to profile weld out with a die grinder. Using a small diameter bit would make it much more difficult to profile correctly. Good luck either way!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version