Hello Guest

Author Topic: Carne Adovada  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Carne Adovada
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
So for dinner tonight, I am attempting some Carne Adovada.  (I didn't add the cloves, because I am not a big clove kind of person)

*pictures of finished product will be posted later*

Braised New Mexico-Style Pork in Red Chile Sauce (Carne Adovada)

Why This Recipe Works:

To make carne adovada, a classic, ultrasimple New Mexican pork braise, we started by cutting boneless pork butt into large chunks and salting them (so that they would be well seasoned and retain moisture during cooking) while we prepared the chile sauce. We used a generous 4 ounces of dried red New Mexican chiles, which are fruity and relatively mild. But rather than toast them, as we often do with dried chiles, we simply steeped them in water to preserve their bright flavor. When they were pliable, we blended them with aromatics and spices (including garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and cloves), as well as honey and white vinegar, to form a thick paste; then we added some of the soaking water to form a smooth puree. We tossed the pork with the puree in a Dutch oven and then braised it in a low oven until the meat was very tender.

Ingredients

Pork butt roast is often labeled Boston butt. For an accurate measurement of boiling water, bring a full kettle of water to a boil and then measure out the desired amount. If you can't find New Mexican chiles, substitute dried California chiles. Dried chiles should be pliable and smell slightly fruity. Kitchen shears can be used to cut them. If you can't find Mexican oregano, substitute Mediterranean oregano. Letting the stew rest for 10 minutes before serving allows the sauce to thicken and better coat the meat. Serve with rice and beans, crispy potatoes, or flour tortillas with shredded lettuce and chopped tomato, or shred the pork as a filling for tacos and burritos.

-1 (3.5- to 4-pound) boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
-4 ounces dried New Mexican chiles, wiped clean, stemmed, seeded, and torn into 1-inch pieces
-4 cups boiling water
-2 tablespoons honey
-2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
-5 garlic cloves peeled
-2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
-2 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

This is where I ordered the Hatch NM Chiles from, and yes I got all three levels and used a mixture of all three in this dish:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JMJTJO2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instructions

1. Toss cut up pork and 1 tablespoon salt together in bowl; refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Place chiles in medium bowl. Pour boiling water over chiles, making sure they are completely submerged, and let stand until softened, 30 minutes. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.

3. Drain chiles and reserve 2 cups soaking liquid (discard remaining liquid). Process chiles, honey, vinegar, garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, cloves, and 1 teaspoon salt in blender until chiles are finely ground and thick paste forms, about 30 seconds. With blender running, add 1 cup reserved liquid and process until smooth, 1½ to 2 minutes, adding up to ¼ cup additional reserved liquid to maintain vortex. Add remaining reserved liquid and continue to blend sauce at high speed, 1 minute longer.

4. Combine pork and chile sauce in Dutch oven, stirring to make sure pork is evenly coated. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook until pork is tender and fork inserted into pork meets little to no resistance, 2 to 2½ hours.

5. Using wooden spoon, scrape any browned bits from sides of pot and stir until pork and sauce are recombined and sauce is smooth and homogeneous. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Serve with lime wedges. (Leftover pork can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

Technique: Blending Chiles Into a Smooth Puree
To ensure that the tough skins on dried New Mexican chiles break down as thoroughly as possible in the blender, start by adding 1 cup of liquid—just enough to create a vortex while leaving enough friction to grind down the solids. Once the chiles are finely ground and the puree is smooth, blend in the remaining liquid.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Carne Adovada
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:50:24 PM »
here is an attached word version of the above information, as well as an attached PDF of the original article where I got this recipe from.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »
Gutsy move, Mav...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
Heres a plated shot.....

This was soo ggggoooooooooooooooooodddddddddddd

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
I’ll be right over....yum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
Come on up

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
As always Nate,  :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Gutsy move, Mav...

Whys that?
Makin' that.

I remember the first time I ever ate it

I was a buck sergeant at Ft. Knox and this tall Texan Staff Sergeant came to us. We hit it off immediately and wasn't long before he had me over for dinner. He made that Carne lava mix. I remember sweating while I was eating it, then burning up later on when I was "sitting."

Ya I remember that stuff...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
Heres a plated shot.....

This was soo ggggoooooooooooooooooodddddddddddd
Holy Flippin' Crap, that looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »
Gutsy move, Mav...

Whys that?
Makin' that.

I was a buck sergeant at Ft. Knox and this tall Texan Staff Sergeant came to us. We hit it off immediately and wasn't long before he had me over for dinner. He made that Carne lava mix. I remember sweating while I was eating it, then burning up later on when I was "sitting."

I actually kept strictly to the recipe and did not add any other heat source.  but then again, Hatch Chiles are not know for their Scoville heat level but more for their richness in flavor.

if I could figure out the pressure canning time, I would can some up for you and send it your way.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »
Gutsy move, Mav...

Whys that?
Makin' that.

I actually kept strictly to the recipe and did not add any other heat source.  but then again, Hatch Chiles are not know for their Scoville heat level but more for their richness in flavor.

if I could figure out the pressure canning time, I would can some up for you and send it your way.
OOOOH!
I'd surely eat it!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »

Yea better not forget to send some this way.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »

Lol

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 01:50:01 PM »

I’d take a jar as well! :beercheers:
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 06:26:23 PM »
That stuff is one of the few things on earth that looks the same coming out as it did going in!

That and pumpkin pie! :shocked:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
And re-purposed for some huevos rancheros

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »
From the Artillery Corps comes a Chef!

Chef Nate

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal