VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Vehicle Related Discussion

1986 K5 Blazer

(1/17) > >>

dave945:
So I had to drive the blazer for a week or so while the Honda Odyssey was down waiting for radiator and fan replacement. It highlighted some issues that need to be resolved. Just for some background, it’s got a 5 liter v8 with a 700R4 transmission and NP208 transfer case, and sits on 3/4 ton axles front and rear. Here are the issues I noticed over the couple days I drove into the office 60 miles each way.
1)  engine was boiling the coolant out and onto the overflow. Think I may have a stuck thermostat.
2). Transmission is leaking some and not shifting very cleanly/consistently. This tranny was rebuilt maybe five years ago, I’m doubting the quality of the rebuild.
3). Vibration/groaning on letting off the gas pedal at higher speeds. Seems like it might be coming from the driveshaft area, but not sure yet.
4). Steering is loose/has a lot of play in it.
5). Brakes tend to be a little touchy, I’m guessing it has to do with the large drums in the rear on the   14 bolt FF axle.

My goal is to get the truck into a condition where daily driving is possible and even comfortable. Optimally, it would be solid enough for my wife to be comfortable driving it. We’ll see how it goes.

I don’t have any set plans at this point and I’m open to ideas and suggestions.  I’ll try to keep this updated as work gets done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stlaser:
3) u-joint or u-joints

5) I have a disc conversion kit for that axle, regardless a $40 Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve might help

Bigdave_185:
Start with a oil change. End with a parking lot land mark

dave945:

--- Quote from: Bigdave_185 on October 17, 2018, 01:18:06 AM ---Start with a oil change. End with a parking lot land mark

--- End quote ---
Oil change.....so you’re saying I should do a duramax conversion with Allison transmission and put portal axles in?  I’ll have to consider it. At least I know where a diesel shop is, there’s a big green landmark already there.

dave945:

--- Quote from: stlaser on October 16, 2018, 11:22:18 PM ---3) u-joint or u-joints

5) I have a disc conversion kit for that axle, regardless a $40 Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve might help

--- End quote ---
I’ll check the u joints on the driveshaft. I need to check my angles too, something i keep telling myself to do. 

How much is the disc conversion kit?  I’ve considered doing that before just to shave 100 pounds off the rear axle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version