Hello Guest

Author Topic: Introduction n Stuff  (Read 2588 times)

OldKooT

Introduction n Stuff
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:31:32 AM »
Hello to you and yours.

I wandered in, admittedly it wasn't accidental. I have been lurking and watching Don's Build of his Dodge for some time. In that time I have come to enjoy the banter, the fellowship in general, and the mind set put forth by many.

About us: I dislike this part, but pushing forward....  We are farmers, my wife also works in a health care facility feeding folks the best food they can manage. We own a fair selection of "Square Dodges" incidentally most have gun racks. I consider a few hours every week on my modified Exmark mower to be a good time and I look forward to the growth of this forum.

P.S I will become a paying member as soon as I can find my wallet. * my wife keeps threatening a wallet chain

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction n Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
welcome sir, looking forward to havin a farmer in the midst.  wheres the farm located and what are yah raisin livestock wise?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

OldKooT

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome,  We are in the middle of Nebraska. As for livestock unless you count my wife's attack geese or the dogs we have none. We do lease out some land to a local cattle guy so we have a good supply of grass fed beef and a few hogs we butcher every season. Eventually we might run a few head of each ourselves. but for now I am content to just enjoy the present arrangement. We get good quality hormone free beef, and I don't have to chase broken fencing and adventuresome steers around LoL

Norm

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
Hello to you and yours.

I wandered in, admittedly it wasn't accidental. I have been lurking and watching Don's Build of his Dodge for some time. In that time I have come to enjoy the banter, the fellowship in general, and the mind set put forth by many.

About us: I dislike this part, but pushing forward....  We are farmers, my wife also works in a health care facility feeding folks the best food they can manage. We own a fair selection of "Square Dodges" incidentally most have gun racks. I consider a few hours every week on my modified Exmark mower to be a good time and I look forward to the growth of this forum.

P.S I will become a paying member as soon as I can find my wallet. * my wife keeps threatening a wallet chain
Farmer!
We don't need any farmers!
Just lookin for yuppies and hippies!
So, you believe that??
Love ya man, welcome to the site
Talk your life style...show me how to fix my broken down farm!  ;-))
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
Thanks Don, hope your recovery is going well. As for farming, I am the absolute worst farmer you could imagine. I dislike spending money, I despise much of the modern science, and I have a complete inability to take the industry too seriously. That said it does some times pay the bills, so I keep at it. I could rant on and on about the trouble this world food supply is in, but .... well I am sure most here have an idea.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »
Welcome Norm!

My great uncle was a farmer- learned a lot about life as a young kid in summers there in Wisconsin as a youth!

What do you MEAN you're not a good farmer, because you don't like to spend money and cling to the old ways.....look at the Amish!

Glad you're here- love Nebraska too by the way! Going to be a fall pheasant stop in 5 falls, when I'm retired!

Mike
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
Thanks Don, hope your recovery is going well. As for farming, I am the absolute worst farmer you could imagine. I dislike spending money, I despise much of the modern science, and I have a complete inability to take the industry too seriously. That said it does some times pay the bills, so I keep at it. I could rant on and on about the trouble this world food supply is in, but .... well I am sure most here have an idea.

And small farmers like yourself are under assault by the big corporations, right?

Well, God Bless you and yours. I admire a fighter, and you would be one, and an asset to all of us here

Share your thoughts at will

Knee is better!

Thanks

OldKooT

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
Mike: I grew up in Wisconsin, largely raised my kids there, we just moved here to Nebraska about 8 years ago to "retire" and farm our land. I spent my summers here in Nebraska helping on the family farm, investing in land and well...here we are. As for pheasant, you ever get this way and want some virgin prairie grass river bottom hunting spots, let me know.

I like to hunt grouse and the occasional duck. My faithful Siberian Husky makes a decent bird dog. (he's odd) and at 15 years of age I am not going to pop his bubble and explain to him he's not suppose to be a bird dog LoL

Don: Our family farming operation includes about 7 families, 12,700 acres tilled between us all. Still a small operation in today's world of Midwest farming. We just started harvest a few days ago. The entire family works together this time of year to get the crops in. We are combining 1000 acres a day roughly, running 24/7 until done. We are consuming right at 54 gallons of diesel an hour, the dryers at the present moisture level are consuming $2000 a day in propane. We will run those dryers until about thanksgiving. We are picking Corn/soybeans and Milo all at the same time. As much as I wish I could be out in the fields my job is to manage the circus, and try to keep everything running smoothly. I have not threatened anyone with a physical beating yet this year so............. well it's only day three LoL

4 combines, 8 semis, 6 grain carts/tractors,a fuel truck, and lots more are a handful to keep moving in a a orderly fashion. Each load has to be moisture tested, then scaled, dumped then sent to the correct bin. The farms drying and storage facilities in themselves are a nightmare. The wives for the most part run that show...I'd just mumble and drool.

The combines largely drive themselves via GPS and witchcraft of some nature no one understands exactly. The state police like to pick on farmers with no scales in a field to weigh a load, so we have to play smokey and the bandit style. Yes we can estimate the wight via assorted fancy devices on said trucks, but it's sorta hard to unload one that's too heavy after driving alongside a combine being loaded. So the younger kids will drive a pickup out ahead of the trucks as they go....Like I said a circus.

When it's all done, the process starts over again almost immediately. We will wash wax and maintain the combines and trucks. Then the tractors are out chopping stalks, and assorted other tasks until the snow shuts us down. Then when the grain is dry, we get to spend all winter moving it all over the place. While all that happens your having to play the market, and wager your entire financial well being on prayer and the whims of the assorted buyers. It's become something just short of insanity.

Maybe if I get a chance I will snap a few pictures of things and share.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:19 AM »
Mike: I grew up in Wisconsin, largely raised my kids there, we just moved here to Nebraska about 8 years ago to "retire" and farm our land. I spent my summers here in Nebraska helping on the family farm, investing in land and well...here we are. As for pheasant, you ever get this way and want some virgin prairie grass river bottom hunting spots, let me know.

I like to hunt grouse and the occasional duck. My faithful Siberian Husky makes a decent bird dog. (he's odd) and at 15 years of age I am not going to pop his bubble and explain to him he's not suppose to be a bird dog LoL

Don: Our family farming operation includes about 7 families, 12,700 acres tilled between us all. Still a small operation in today's world of Midwest farming. We just started harvest a few days ago. The entire family works together this time of year to get the crops in. We are combining 1000 acres a day roughly, running 24/7 until done. We are consuming right at 54 gallons of diesel an hour, the dryers at the present moisture level are consuming $2000 a day in propane. We will run those dryers until about thanksgiving. We are picking Corn/soybeans and Milo all at the same time. As much as I wish I could be out in the fields my job is to manage the circus, and try to keep everything running smoothly. I have not threatened anyone with a physical beating yet this year so............. well it's only day three LoL

4 combines, 8 semis, 6 grain carts/tractors,a fuel truck, and lots more are a handful to keep moving in a a orderly fashion. Each load has to be moisture tested, then scaled, dumped then sent to the correct bin. The farms drying and storage facilities in themselves are a nightmare. The wives for the most part run that show...I'd just mumble and drool.

The combines largely drive themselves via GPS and witchcraft of some nature no one understands exactly. The state police like to pick on farmers with no scales in a field to weigh a load, so we have to play smokey and the bandit style. Yes we can estimate the wight via assorted fancy devices on said trucks, but it's sorta hard to unload one that's too heavy after driving alongside a combine being loaded. So the younger kids will drive a pickup out ahead of the trucks as they go....Like I said a circus.

When it's all done, the process starts over again almost immediately. We will wash wax and maintain the combines and trucks. Then the tractors are out chopping stalks, and assorted other tasks until the snow shuts us down. Then when the grain is dry, we get to spend all winter moving it all over the place. While all that happens your having to play the market, and wager your entire financial well being on prayer and the whims of the assorted buyers. It's become something just short of insanity.

Maybe if I get a chance I will snap a few pictures of things and share.

Want us to call you:   Cootie!

Seems fitting for some reason, don't know why, just seems right...

Yup, PLEASE post up a story down in food or somewhere. Real stuff, real families

But what comes over me, came over me while I read this is this:

Father God Bless these families and this man with prosperity. Although the wolf is nipping at their heels and rest is not theirs, they labor and they work. Father, you made us to work, and with these people we see your grand design in sacrifice. Protect them, bless them, show them a bountiful yield and let no evil thing come against them. In the name of our precious Jesus, I ask this, Amen!

OK, that should do it

Drive on!

Remember cootie, story...Pics

BTW, while I was writing that, the song: On and On by Stephen Bishop was the melody in the background...That's OGCS (Old guy cool stuff)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
norm, i was raised in the land of cheese as well on a dairy farm and i currently have family west of lincoln that run grain and some beef.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Cooter seems appropriate too, Dukes of Hazard style. Nice to have you onboard.  I spent a large majority of my youth on my cousins' dairy farm in the Snohomish river valley. Great duck and Canadian goose hunting.  Lots of sincere respect for farming. They hung on as long as they could doing things the traditional ways; working with co-ops and delivery services, small independent types. Eventually the larger corps pushed them out and they wound up selling to some company leasing land to grow trees for high end Japanese computer paper. not a lot of ducks flying into 40 acre stands of alder.

A write up on butchering large animals would be handy; when it gets to hog killin time put something up for us to learn with!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal