VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 2-EGR delete and more]

<< < (3/46) > >>

KensAuto:
                                                                                                                  (2441)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f*********
"Suggestion for the next mod: 3" driver's side intercooler pipe."

OK, fine!

Actually, Holton talked me out of it for the moment.
Next is the Rare parts tie rods and the Cognito upper control arms.
Right after that is the Amp Research steps.
As I explained earlier, I plan to "Up-Armor" the Amp steps so they can take a real beating.
Then I am installing a hypertech inline speedo calibrator
You see, I already ordered all that stuff and I have tracking numbers on it.

On that intercooler pipe, I have plans to install twins, so we are sort of waiting until they come out to see if that pipe will still work. I assume it will, but who knows???
I am also short final to getting the new Road Armor rear bumper. They have already built it and should be shipping it to me pretty soon. That will be an awesome addition.
Later when it gets cold, I will be fabbing up a rear tire carrier to weld to that beautiful bumper. I just don't want to do any heavy duty fab work while it's still warm.
Anyway that is the current lineup...

KensAuto:
I have my first post EGR delete drive impressions
First, the truck sounds healthy and runs great. I'm sure a lot of it is psychological and not actual, but I T H I N K the engine runs mo-better. That's a highly technical term, please don't ask me to elaborate!

Secondly the mileage has increased a solid 1 mpg!!!!! That's a 5% increase in economy. Before I did the delete, I was always averaging 18.9-19.0 on a given loop. Today with all things being equal except that the temp is about 10-12 degrees cooler, the mileage indicated 20.0! That was for 70% highway, 20% in town and 10% rural. I was running the air conditioner and driving at 70-75 mph actual.

KensAuto:
Save

KensAuto:
OK back to the build, at least for awhile
Just got the next batch of parts in.
Here are the Rare Parts Heavy duty tie rod assemblies
and
The Cognito upper control arms with a ball joint

Next is the gear oil for the rear axle and an oil sample kit I picked up from Willie (MrManners)

There are a couple more parts as well, including the hypertech speedo calibrator and a cool billet set of sway bar end links.

KensAuto:
I wanted to share this private conversation where Ashley asked a question whose answer would be of benefit to all:

Originally Posted by Armalite
"Don, what's the reasoning behind the cognito uca's? I know what you're trying to accomplish in the front end, so I'm assuming this is a needed part to get to that final point? Just curious why you already have the lift, but now you're swapping uca's out to cognito? Ready to see it all take place".

Well, as I dive deeper into this project the weaknesses of the design (few as they are) are showing up, all in view of what I want to do. So imagine you are being chased by some enraged people and you decide to leave the highway at say 70 mph. You will need significantly more suspension travel to accommodate. The stock truck like most gives us what 5"-6" travel. The limiting factors are exceedence of critical ball joint angles, tie rod angles, CV joint, and then finally with shock travel and bottoming out on a bump stop.
I plan to address each one of these issues and to do something never before done. In addition to everything I want to invent a disconnecting sway bar like the Dodge power wagon has.
So I have a lot more shock travel, enough to max out the ball joint, which is next. The cognito arms will immediately correct for this and even allow me a tad bit more caster. That's why the cognitos and the rare parts tie rods are going on next. When it is all done it will look alot like stock, but should perform about 100% better.
If you don't mind, I'm going to post my response in my thread to share with everyone, cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D*********
"Did you go with the ball joint or uniball UCA?"

Knucklehead !

From a few posts ago:

OK back to the build, at least for awhile
Just got the next batch of parts in.
Here are the Rare Parts Heavy duty tie rod assemblies
and
The Cognito upper control arms with a ball joint

Sorry, couldn't resist...Say how did you do with reading comprehension? Man, sorry again, I'm just beating you all about the head and shoulders...
My bad, I'm a terrible guy!

OK, enough coffee induced fun (CIF) I went with the ball joints on purpose. I have A LOT of experience with uniballs, rod ends and the like over a few decades in whirly birds. That's how all that really fast moving junk over my head is held in place. Obviously I have put all of that stuff through it's paces in all sorts of the same environment as our trucks see. Dirt?? Dust landings! Salt? Hovering over the ocean at low altitude and sometimes actually landing in salt water! Sticks, debris and so forth: Landing in the woods, 7.62mm bullets: Oh, sorry we don't have that here yet!
Anyway with all that stuff and my experience I have to say exposed spherical balls and races don't always do well in those environments. Don't care you can carve the ball out of refried stellar matter plated with kryptonite (No such real stuff guys, so stay with me) and it will wear. But for some reason you slap on a generous coat of grease and nothing gets to it! Heck you can hoist up a cannon from the ocean depths that has rested there for a few centuries and if it has a coat of grease on it, you can dry the thing out, load up powder and ball and take on the Haitian navy. OK, maybe that's a stretch, the Haitians don't have a navy, but you get the idea.
Nosir, I am using the good old non-sexy spong-bob-square-pants ball joint!
Good thing I was able to give you a short answer!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version