VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread....C-MAX [Part 2-EGR delete and more]

<< < (2/46) > >>

KensAuto:
First, thanks Ashley, sometimes that's all it takes!

OK, let's get on with day 2 of the EGR delete.
After 9 hours the first day and 8 fatiguing hard, hard hours the second I am still not done.
Unequivocally this is by far the hardest thing I have ever done on this truck. It rivals or surpasses almost anything memory can serve up. This delete is definately not for the timid. It is world class hard, period!

So knowing that I had to tackle those feel only bolts I started with removal of the remaining heat shield. There is one covering the EGR portion of the passenger up pipe and one over the turbo exhaust side.

I thought the best way to tackle the hard stuff was the hardest stuff first. In retrospect I still don't know which was the hardest, with each bolt removed feeling like a hard won victory. The up pipe has three bolts securing it to the back of the EGR cooler assembly. If you look carefully in the picture you can just barely see my ratchet buried way up inside the firewall. You can't see the botl head, you just have to find it by feel. I used a mirror to look at it first to give me a general idea where to hunt. You can only get one of the three from below

Moving top side you now can loosen and remove the remaining two flange bolts. Next remove all of the EGR cooler mount bolts and the remaining rubber coolant lines. This precise tool helps with getting stuff out of the way!

When everything is disconnected a little movement can be had. The whole big heavy coolant filled L shaped cooler comes out as one unit.

Then all at once the truck lets out a sigh of relief and the massive thing is free. I remounted it semi permanently on the floor!
Along with the cooler assembly the aft mount comes out as well.

KensAuto:
Next you can finally tackle the up pipe. You will need an assortment of 12mm 12pt. wrenches plus a can of spinich. Those bolts are torqued to several million ft. pounds and will create a decent hernia if you don't have one already!
The old up pipe is a mess and gets in the way. I decided to saw off the upper extension to gain some room.

After another hour of speaking your favorite french in which I became fluent all over again, you can finally drop that passenger up pipe onto the floor!

At this point the engine is getting a lot less cluttered. It's still cluttered, just not several layers on it like before.

This the point where you finally start reassembly. I started with installing the new up pipe reusing the old stainless gaskets

Next part going on is the new down pipe, an alligator diesel part supplied by my trusty friend, Holton. I'm sure he (Holton) is no with us at the moment, he surely passed out when reading the thread and coming to the part where I showed the hammer!
To install the down pipe, all you really need to do is push the firewall in about a half inch where the down pipe would contact it. This will ease installation. Installing it with all the junk out of the way is not that difficult.

KensAuto:
Next I tackled the first of two water lines. The firewall connection is now connected to a coolant pipe coming up from the engine block right beside the turbo. Taking the supplied "L" pipe which has two different diameters, I trimmed it to fit, silicone sprayed the nipples and slid it home and clamped it tightly.

Next the front to passenger side smaller diameter but longer hose was fastened in place

I removed the unused 9th injector nozzle and supply line from near where the hard line attaches to the actual injector which sits on the valve cover in a cradle. I want to get rid of the injector as well, but for now this is as far as I am going for now

This is what the engine bay looks like at the moment, along with all the parts removed that will not be reused, and the truck sitting helplessly in the garage for another night.

KensAuto:
save

KensAuto:
I finished the EGR delete today
I picked up where I left off yesterday first finishing tieing off the water bypass hoses and properly securing them to prevent chaffing.

With that complete it was time to install the Alligator Diesel block off plate that Holton supplied which is an easy task with everything out of the way.

Reusing the old gaskets and bolts, it is a simple install taking only a couple minutes.
That plate measured .260" in thickness so we're looking at 1/4" plate steel nicely powder coated.
For some reason the plate looks black in the photo, but it is silver spotted over black, a unique finish to say the least.

Next the turbo intake elbow goes on

Then the silver "S" pipe
...and everything else.
I refilled the approximately 1.5 quarts of Dexi-cool radiator fluid, checked everything and fired it up
To get the small bolt into the mount under the butterfly valve I came up with this technique. That's one of the bolts you can't really see. This technique worked just fine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version