WEAPONS > Firearms

Long Range Shooting

(1/13) > >>

KensAuto:
I've recently been shooting up to a 1000 yards and thought I would share. I would also like to thank Texasredneck for some guidance back when I first set up my new turreted scope.
I know there's guys shooting WAY past that mark, but 1000 is still a decent goal.
This spot I have behind my house, is good for 1500+. At 1000, I was having trouble seeing my hits....so every 5 shots I had to drive to the target to inspect. Today I made a hanger for an ar500 target I recently acquired, so now I can just listen for the "gong" sound.
Here's the "range". The pic is taken from the gun bench and end of the trail in the background is 1000.

This is looking through the new Trijicon Accupoint:

...and through the spotting scope:

KensAuto:
This is the AR500 1/2" plate:

I wanted something lightweight, and somewhat bullet proof, so I turned to rebar.
OK, so the real reason is I have a boatload of rebar!
The top pipe is heavy walled with holes drilled larger than the hanging bars. I used the torch to bend the lower ends into hooks, to hold the plate. Washers were welded to the top of the bars, but not to the pipe. The concept is to keep everything loose, so that the plate "gongs" loudly. Chain or cable is popular for this reason, but with Ken shooting, I don't think they would last very long.
I then found some thin pipe that would slip over the main pipe and made 2 pieces about 6" long. I took 2, 100" sections of rebar, and heated the middle of them til red, then wrapped them around the short pipes, and welded them up. I capped the outer ends so the main cross pipe would bottom out.

then drilled a couple holes for pins, then welded chains to the pins.

The legs received some bracing and more torch time to bend in an offset fashion:

KensAuto:
Next I will weld some angle iron across the top, to deflect any high flyers. Then the hanging bars will get some flat strap welded on edge, then sharpened,  for the same reason. I'll probably leave the legs alone and see how long they last....then modify as needed.

BobbyB:
I like it. You using that app you posted up before? Or something different?

KensAuto:
I don't remember posting an app, I think that was someone else.
I use Hornady Ballistic calculator to get it close. http://www.hornady.com/
After that, I log all of the elevation, windage, temps, etc. that I come up with at the range, reenter it in their system, and vola, a printable table that gets taped to the gun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version