Hello Guest

Author Topic: Metal Slicer and Super Press  (Read 3226 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Metal Slicer and Super Press
« on: December 25, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
My Christmas gifts to myself. Well, actually end of the year purchases.
Decided to build a real bumper for the LML, and my Hypertherm 30 (their smallest cutter) wasn't up for the task. Settled on the '45 series, which sliced up this 5/8 and 1/2" stuff fairly easy.

..those are the bumper mounts, and they hold this 8" channel on:

I also purchased a 50 ton shop press after twisting up a HF 20 tonner trying to press out a ford wheel bearing. I've searched high and low for a decent press, that wasn't $4,000, and that would serve my little shop for the rest of my career. This one is China, like most of the cheaper ones, but is built really well, weighing in at 800 lbs. It came from Greg Smith Equipment and ran just shy of $1600 . I should be able to use the big guy to straighten out the little 20 ton model, and take that one home for neighborhood use.

....the top drawer of that black tool box is right at 6' to give perspective.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:12:16 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Slicer and Super Press
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
Nice treats Ken! So the 45 will slice 5/8 huh? That's impressive, I'm in need of a metal slicer myself, but not sure how big I want to go. I'm not likely to ever do a whole lot of slicing, but I also know to never say never.
Enjoy the new tools!
Merry Christmas.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »
Thanks man, same to you!

Yeah, the 30 is great because it comes with a 110 adapter, good for 20 amps (cuts 1/8" easily) and at 220 you can cut 1/4", but it really doesn't like it unless you go real slow. It would be great for body work.
 I used the 45 yesterday to cut a 6' length of 3/16" and it was like cutting paper, and even the 5/8 was no challenge. I chopped a 1" bar off also, just to see if it would do it (wasn't very smooth but it did do it).
I originally wanted the 65 series, but am more than happy with the 45....and it was a grand cheaper!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
Cool press!

I own that Hypertherm 45

Last plasma you'll ever buy!

It's great, I love mine

Does a pretty good job on fingers as well!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
Wow that's impressive 1" is a hefty chunk. Even if it is rough, that almost eliminates the need of oxy acetylene. I know anytime I touch the torch it's pretty rough anyway, even at 1/4, so I could accept a bit of rough.
Will have to keep it in mind for my 'need' list.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
Wow that's impressive 1" is a hefty chunk. Even if it is rough, that almost eliminates the need of oxy acetylene. I know anytime I touch the torch it's pretty rough anyway, even at 1/4, so I could accept a bit of rough.
Will have to keep it in mind for my 'need' list.

Plasmas become essential tools PDQ
Once they get integrated into your normal building/fab/repair, you won't want to go back to oxy-acetylene or anything else

Sort of like life after you bought your first pick up. After that you couldn't go back to when you didn't have that truck!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
Ken, congratulations on the plasma purchase.  I just got my first MIG machine (lincoln 180) and am just starting to research plasmas.  (my father is a 40 year welder/ironworker so I used to just go to his house for metalwork)  Why did you choose this particular brand, as opposed to Thermal Arc, Hobart, Miller, etc?  I was tempted to by a cheap chinese throwaway like the CUT50 from fleabay just to get going, but am trying to adhere to the buy once cry once mantra.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »
Quite frankly, I believe Hypertherm is the best. I like to buy things just once as well....in this case it took 2 trys though.....1st one was too small.

China plasma? doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy if you know what I mean.

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:06:10 PM »
FWIW we have a Cut 50 that's over 10 years old now. Honestly it's been a great machine and has 100's of hours on it. And it can handle 3/8 easily and it often does. Think we paid $300 for it, can't say I am upset with the use per buck spent ratio at any rate.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
FWIW we have a Cut 50 that's over 10 years old now. Honestly it's been a great machine and has 100's of hours on it. And it can handle 3/8 easily and it often does. Think we paid $300 for it, can't say I am upset with the use per buck spent ratio at any rate.

I had one of those...gave it to Duane.

Not sure if he's using it for anything...

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
We have a big one (plasma) down in my farm shop that will slice fat metal so this little China wonderbox handles most any and all shop duty here at home. I use the word "shop" very loosely. Barn with some cement and tin is closer to factual LoL  Some day when it's not a embarrassing disaster I will shoot some pics.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 09:20:59 PM »
I know that I wouldn't get 10 years out of one. That's just the way my luck works. Mr Murphy hangs around my shop daily. lol

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »
Well, you saw that Murphy got me yesterday!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
I had one of those...gave it to Duane.

Not sure if he's using it for anything...

Traded. Remember?

Used it a little removing some axle brackets.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal