Hello Guest

Author Topic: P Pump pickup adventure  (Read 1446 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
P Pump pickup adventure
« on: February 12, 2015, 06:28:09 AM »
Well, so I find a P Pump motor for the Sub swap just 80 miles from the house. Take my 87 elky to pick it up. Yeah the tranny makes a little noise and it needs rear brakes but I will drive it easy and be carefull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So going through Stockton and it lurches a little on the freeway like something let loose. I am a little over 1/2 way there and power is solid so I keep going. I notice the RPMs are up a little so i figure the lock up clutch is gone, no biggie.

Get the guys house in Salida Ca and look a the motor. About what you expect for a 300k motor, lots of oil! Oil is good, intake, exhaust and turbo looks good. Injector lines are gone as well as the injectors (replacing them anyway)

So I make my deal and we load it up, all goes well and I get a 2nd turbo and some other little extras with it. I go to get on the freeway home and click, the tranny lets go. I pull to the side and call for a tow asking how much to get me home (not AAA) and am told there are NO TRUCKS AVAILABLE and the one that will come wants $700 to tow me 82 miles. I say no thanks to that tow and say get me another, nothing, nothing and I call back and a told there is nothing. Now come on it is just 2100 on a Wednesday night I say, but nothing.

So up to this time I have been contacted twice by both CHP and the Sheriff telling them all is OK and a tow is on the way. It feels funny when I am being contacted watching all the rift raft going by. So finally after about 2 hours I have a ride in route to get me home and I plane to leave the elky at the guys house I got the motor from. He can't help as he had a couple beers so he won't drive, OK. Finally CHP come by again and I request a tow, which arrives in 20 minutes!! The chips and I shoot the bull for the 20 minutes and it runs me $200 to have the elky pulled 1 mile away, but I plane getting that back from the insurance company. My ride gets there 20 minutes later (77 year old mom, wifey with the kiddies)

So I get home at 0300 and now reserving a trailer to pickup the Elky with motor still loaded up tomorrow, about the same time my tires should be in so I may swing through to get them too.

I will continue this in the Sub Build thread and add a few pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am a little tired right now!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: P Pump pickup adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »
Ahhh, Man, that's crap!

Hey you can borrow my trailer? Free of charge, but driving the 2100 miles to get it might be an issue...

Sorry for your luck JR, but with those bags of human refuse driving around past you, coulda been worse...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »
On the way for the trailer now. Have to drag it on with the cummings in back. Hope the cum-a-long hold up!!

Thanks for the offer, I have to get one of those for sure but $55 is not breaking me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:28:53 AM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
Since the trailer had no winch, I blocked the tires and rug it up with the 5.9 in the back. It was tail heavy and the trailer was pointing to the sky for a moment, wish I had got a picture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Trip home uneventful with no sway even with the tail heavy trailer.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »
Man, every time you go to fire up that cummins, you will remember the day.....
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
To say that trailer was loaded tail heavy was huge understatement. It was pulling on the ball and I stopped every 1/2 hour to tighten it down. I finally bungied it and it stayed solid from then on.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
You were lucky not to have any more "Misadventure" from all this!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal