VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Everything Trailer, Camper, or RV related

RV Generator

(1/11) > >>

Flyin6:
I have a heavy 5500 watt Generac generator that I have been using for my RV and general camper related stuff. It sucks a lot of gas and is way noisy, up around 76db I believe.

So, knowing that I realistically need 30 Amps or 3300 watts, I began looking in and around that area.

It seems all roads lead to Honda with the 20000 iu being the industry standard. It features 2000 watts surge and 1600 watts continuous power and uses inverter technology so powering the laptop will not cause Mr. Microsoft to get the heebee-geebees.

The standard unit generally sells for around $1000, and the companion unit for $1100. You basically run two units wired in parallel with jumper cables to get you through the summer RV season since the AC takes 14-15 amps to run. During spring, fall, and winter you can probably get by with just a single unit, so having two makes for a 3 season back-up plan.

But the $2100 tip in is a bit disconcerting

Enter, stage right, The PowerHorse 2000w unit from Northern tool. On sale this week for $569, two of them (with free shipping) would account for draining the piggy bank some $1138 equaling a 46% savings!

Yee Haw, that's enough for a typical Hyundai repair, three new Toyos, a can of wax, and a pumpkin pie!

Reviews are strong and they make it in Kentucky Blue!

Here's a linky

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623983_200623983

Dawg25385:
Two words... Eco-throttle.

Look at the EU3000 watt Honda if you need more juice for A/C and microwave, if you think you really need those things when boondocking.

Yeah spendy, buy once cry onceI say.

I'm obviously biased, so take it for what it is. But choosing Honda was the best decision I ever made for our RV'ing. So efficient and quiet.

Edit: I see the NT has similar functionality... That changes things a bit :)

Flyin6:
Exactly, this Northern dog has the eco throttle as well and either one has the 30 amp locking plug.

So $2100 for two 2000W Hondas, something like $2300-$2400 for the Honda EU3000 which is rated at less than my requirement in continuous duty cycle so it doesn't even qualify.

Doing the cost/benefit line and the Honda is not even in the zone. I'll check around for anything else but I think with the 2 yr backing and mountain of sales and decent customer feedback the Northern Power Horse if the clear winner

Dawg25385:
You're prob on to something... Those look like pretty nice little units, feature wise for sure. And reviews being positive says a lot for reliability and longevity. Give em a shot!

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: Dawg25385 on February 21, 2015, 07:33:03 PM ---You're prob on to something... Those look like pretty nice little units, feature wise for sure. And reviews being positive says a lot for reliability and longevity. Give em a shot!

--- End quote ---
I think I might
Decision time
Ounce of gold
or 2 generators for the RV???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version