FOOD CORNER > Cooking equipment

cast iron

<< < (2/4) > >>

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: TexasRedNeck on February 28, 2015, 07:52:57 AM ---OH, Bobby I can't believe you mentioned chili.  Yesterday we had our chili cookoff and last night I was in a life and death battle with the aftermath of way too much nuclear hot chili.  I had enough gas that the UN could probably consider me a weapon of mass destruction.

--- End quote ---

MM chili cook off

Nate:
that is an awesome post, thank you and I will be using this technique and some flaxseed oil in the future.

OldKooT:
My wife a Chef by trade, actually cooks exclusively with cast iron at home. And uses a lot at her business as well.

She also uses flaxseed oil on her cast iron. She seasons her stuff a few times a year. She will often use the blast cabinet, glass bead the pots/pans, and start from virgin. It takes a bit of work but the results are worth it in her opinion. She has also used a flapper wheel and smoothed some pans to a almost polished appearance and then seasoned. This trick makes as an example her omelet skillet, virtually non stick as can be.

Just yesterday I had some carrot cake she made in a cast iron cake pan... I swear it's just flat better tasting than even a normal cake pan.

cudakidd53:
HA! I've figured it out- you and your wife are "The Incredibles" it's not just a cartoon!  She cooks, cleans, rebuilds vehicles, keeps you in line.....you grow stuff, are thrifty, recycle machinery, buildings, grow your own and half of our food, live in Nebraska, maintain more equipment than most of us dream of owning....I'm in awe!  Mmmmm, carrot cake!

Wilbur:
Cast iron is great no question. There is an old restaurant near me (sadly its failing) that was a speakeasy during prohibition. Even now you have to knock to be let in. They have 2 huge cast iron frying pans from France that are (supposedly) 200+ years old (I want to say that the story is they are 250 years old?). They claim they never wash them and when the restaurant was sold a while ago the new owners required that the frying pans be included in the deed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version