VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

Zombie Ford F-350

(1/67) > >>

husker77c:
I figured I would jump in with both feet and share my ongoing project with you guys.  It's a 94 F-350 Crew cab long box with a 7.3L IDI, and a ZF5 transmission.

A little background on why I chose/was forced to do this build.

I worked pipeline construction for 12 or so years and I was always away from home.  Not just a few hours but usually 1000s of miles.  Ever since I read the book One Second After i always had the thought in my head about an EMP attack.  I know, I know its very unlikely that a scenario such as that would play out but I figured if I could build a vehicle to survive that then it should thrive in lesser threats.

I am also building this because I stopped pipelining a few years ago and moved to south Texas to try my hand at OG oil field work (frac, drilling, etc).  Well as many of you know the price of oil has tanked in the last few months and it has hit us pretty hard.  I've gone from 100+ hours a week, every week to no more than 40 hours a week.  I was barely making it before the cut in my hours due to some stupidity on my part in my previous life, and now with the cut its time to start selling toys and things I really don't need.  Thank the lord I still have a job even if its woefully inadequate currently.

None of that bothers me much because I am selling what I don't need.  I have 4 trucks currently a 2012 Ram 2500 CTD, two 97 Dodges with 12 valves in them, A harley, an 86 CJ7, and various other items.  Who needs all that?  Especially considering that most of it is still spread out over the country, Dodges in PA, Jeep in NE, etc.

OK background is done TL;DR version Im building my F350 to survive all threats short of a direct missile hit and I am doing it on a budget.

My requirements or plans for this truck include.

1) swapping one of the 12 valves into the truck eventually.  I will build it to provide a similar power level as my 2012.  I want reliable power, no twins or anything else that adds complication simple, tough, proven mods.

2) Increase off road capability (not going for rock crawler or mud truck here just make it more capable to navigate tore up    back roads or interstate shoulders that may be packed with people fleeing an incident).

3) Increase reliability i.e. make it darn near bulletproof.

4) Increase range

5) Increase creature comforts and have mobile communications.  I have my ham radio license so I am going to try to incorporate that into my interior build when it comes time for that.

I apologize in advance for how slow this build may have to go and along with that the corresponding updates.  I will do what I can with the budget I have and hopefully some things go my way and I can get it done by the end of the year.  Plus in the next month or so this will become my daily driver so doing anything that causes the truck to be down for more than a few days will have to planned very carefully so I can still get back and forth to work.

Imgur is slow uploading my photos.  I hoped to post some before I go to work but I may have to wait till this evening or tomorrow.

Flyin6:
No apologies needed, friend!

We appreciate you bring this and sharing it with everyone. We are all the better for it. Build away at any pace you wish!

husker77c:
I bought this truck originally to save wear and tear on my 2012 Dodge running back and forth to oil field locations.

Before I did anything other than window tint.

She went through the major tornado that tore up Moore, OK a few years back so the body was kind of rough when she came home.  This is a little memorial to the tornado the previous owner did.

husker77c:
I started on the body work first because most of my tools and parts are in storage in PA.

Small dents like this all over

I had never done any kind fo body work before this so it is a learning experience for me and it is much more difficult than I ever imagined.  Flat panels are easy with a hammer and dolly and a little filler but I'm having trouble with places where there is a body line.  Some of it will need to be redone before Paint but that's a long ways down the road and from a distance it looks OK

husker77c:
No amount of bondo in the world could save the bed so I searched for a few months to find a replacement.  Everyone wanted 5-700 dollars for one that wasn't even in decent shape.  I finally found one a couple hours from me off a F-150 $300 for the bed tail lights and harness.  He even had an overhead lift so we just sat it right on and bolted it down but first some things needed to be addressed under the bed.

These Fords have a known problem with the fuel pickup breaking off inside the tank which causes the truck to run out of fuel at a quarter tank.  Unacceptable, so I modified the pickups with a piece of fuel line so they extend all the way to the bottom of the tank.  I also ordered a 38 gallon rear replacement fuel tank for it.  I don't have any pictures of this process but If anyone has questions I can try to explain better what I did.

Now with the factory 19 gallon front tank and the new 38 gallon rear I have 57 gallons on board fuel.  With the current IDI getting around 13 mpg I should be able to get 700+ miles out of this setup.  I have a combo auxiliary fuel tank tool box in PA that I am going to put in and when you add the extra 105 gallons of capacity it has that should bring my range to over 2100 miles before having to refuel.  That should cover my increase range requirement.   8)

And if I can eek 17-18 MPG out of the cummins, which with timing and tuning should be easily achievable.  That will give me 2600 miles + of range.  this should be more than enough to get well out of harms way if I go back on the road and start pipelining again next year

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version