Hello Guest

Author Topic: Redneck Dually Build Thread  (Read 28937 times)

Online stlaser

• View Profile
Re: Redneck Dually Build Thread
« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
Don't take a chance!

Experience speaking right there!
Learn the rules like a pro so that you can break them like an artist -Pablo Picasso-

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
Don't take a chance!

Experience speaking right there!
Exactly!

How do you think I survived this long?

By taking on random mulch beds during the three weeks a year I was home from the wars?

Not likely!!!
Site owner    IS 6:8  Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author: Distant Thunder

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
That looks great

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Online TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
Don't take a chance!
Didn't you see the two 8 1/2 ton Crosby shackles on the back? 

You can just hover over and connect and lift me completely out with that whirly bird thingy
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online TexasRedNeck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »
Menses, after the black wheel transformation I have decided to make a change on the steps. I was going to take them off and take them to a bed liner place and have them shot with black UV resistant liner.

I'd like to try this myself but have a few questions.

1. Are any of the DIY products as good as the products used by LineX etc? Including UV?
2. If so, which ones?
3. What is the consensus on prepping chrome for best results?

Thanks
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Online TexasRedNeck

• Registered
    • View Profile
Redneck Dually Build Thread
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »

So the back bumper you may recall was replaced with a black Fab Four. I'm working my way forward.

I changed the mud flaps to black and ordered a new black exhaust tip. Once I get the steps done I'll get to work on the front end.

Going to look for a Denali bumper to paint match after fabricating some police style push bars to weld to it which will also create a non airflow restricting spot for a light bar.

I have extra headlights which will be transformed and then a black mesh grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:31:19 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Online stlaser

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »
Not sure about 1 & 2 no experience there but wondering about different powders? 3, should be able to scuff n coat it. As long as chrome doesn't pull from base steel then should be a good base coat imo.
Learn the rules like a pro so that you can break them like an artist -Pablo Picasso-

Online KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »
Out here, I see Linex hold it's color better than any other, including the raptor I did on my rear bumper (about 1 year ago?) The Raptor cleans up pretty good, but still looks somewhat flatter than when first sprayed. The perfect solution would be to get the Linex Premium black as picky as you are, imho.
...there are others that are tougher (Inyati comes to mind) but just don't look as good as Linex....when it's done right.

...oh, and I've read a few posts about this over the years, and this one seems to stand out:

"Standard bedliner products are "aromatic" meaning they can fade mostly from UV light from the sun. Some bedliner products are "aliphatic" meaning they are much more UV stable. The paint on your new truck is aliphatic paint. Your paint will fade, but it takes many years before you can actually see fading with your eyes. Actually, aromatic and aliphatic have to do with hydrocarbon chains in the chemicals but one of the differences between the two is UV stability.

LINE-X Xtra (colors other than black) and LINE-X Premium (black only) are aliphatic. Just like your truck's paint, it will take years before you can visually see any change in color. If you were not worried about your truck's paint fading when you bought your truck, then there's no reason to worry about Xtra or Premium fading either.

That being said, there is one reason to choose black over another color. Black tends to hide wear and tear better than colors. So, if you use your truck's bed for heavy use, you might as well stick with black. Most people are not heavy users, they are an occasional Home Depot goer and a color match is fine for that."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:46:24 PM by KensAuto »

Online TexasRedNeck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:59 PM »
Thanks Ken. I am picky. Here is a rendering of what I'm thinking. Comments and thoughts?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Sounds like a plan Ken, should look good.

You did mean "nerf" bars, not "next" bars, right?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online TexasRedNeck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2016, 11:31:59 PM »
I meant to type nerf but I guess they are push bars.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2016, 11:38:25 PM »
That what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure if it was you or the phone talking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2016, 07:51:26 AM »
I'm not sure what your process was for the raptor on the rear bumper but I generally hit anything I put raptor liner on with a coat or two of clear afterward.  It makes it a little easier to clean and does give it more gloss.  Before the clear it was a little more flat/ appeared to be faded compared to my black truck.  After it seemed to be a perfect match.  Had it on for almost 2 years before I sold it.

Online KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
I thought about doing clear, but wasn't sure how it would handle the heat. The back half of my truck is in direct sun light every work day. I wondered how hard it would be to redo it if it started peeling 5, or even 10 years from now. At least with straight bedliner, a guy should be able to just recoat it if need be.....in theory.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2016, 11:57:23 PM »
Tex you need to dump those orange reflectors.  Other then that I love it

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2016, 04:29:47 PM »
Tex what is the thoughts on them tires?

Online TexasRedNeck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
They arent as quiet as the LTX road tires but not bad at all.  I really like them so far.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
I need to pick tires

Online TexasRedNeck

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »
They are more aggressive than the Nitto G2, but less so than the Toyo OC.  IMO a great compromise