Hello Guest

Author Topic: Boat cleaning tip  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
Boat cleaning tip
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
The last time I had my boat out I pulled it home in the rain and needless to say it was a mess.  It was late and I did't bother cleaning it up.  I'm sure you've all dealt with road grime it can be hard to get off and add to that the turd line (as I like to call it) from Lake of the Ozarks and you have a real mess on your hands.

So the boat has been sitting for a week with all that crud just getting baked on.  I've also picked up several marks from docks, shoes, and the bow roller on this spring's fishing trips. 

So after Church today I set out to get it clean.  I know everyone has their favorite products, I usually just stick to a high quality boat wash and wax as well a good vinyl cleaner (I really like Mothers).  Recently after a good soapy wash I've been looking for something to take off light scratches, stains and marks. I've discovered Magic Eraser works amazingly well.  You can now find it in the autocare section in most stores.  It will remove light surface scratches, marks from docks, shoes, your bow roller, stains and oil residue, as well as the dirt that makes deeper scratches show up more.  Over all I've been amazed with how well it works. I would recommend an application of a quality wax or polish after extensive use of the eraser as it can seem to leave a slight haze in areas that require a lot of elbow grease. 

Many of you may already be using it, but if you aren't give it a shot. It's a good item to have on hand.
Exodus 14:14

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Boat cleaning tip
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Great tip! I probably won't go this route as too many miles of gravel have given my black hull a lightly salted look. But still may try it as I have all of the above symptoms and the 'salt' is generally below water.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:32:38 PM »
There are a lot of great products out there.  The best part about this one is I swipe them from under the kitchen sink.  My wonderful wife finds them handy as well and as far as I know she's not caught on to me pilfering them yet.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:12:33 PM »
Excellent tip on the magic eraser, i will have to try that out on our boat! We have a few pesky scratches, and also some creosote scuffs from those dang pilings and dock rails at a couple launches we use.

I love the Meguiars Cleaner Wax too... very easy to work with, and does a nice job of cutting oxidation and polishing in one step. check it out!

Thanks again for passing on the tip.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »
Meguiars cleaner wax is the perfect finishing touch.  I think you'll be amazed by the eraser.  Just get the corner ramp and start working on those spots. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal