Hello Guest

Author Topic: Pulley's Dually Build Thread  (Read 14880 times)

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
Pulley's Dually Build Thread
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:10:22 PM »
So I figured I would join the fun and make a build of my truck. It won't be anything amazing at the moment but I have possible plans for either a diesel conversion or making it crazy fast for no reason. This will mostly be to give updates on what I do to it and ask questions about it. I'd also like to state that I bought the truck and bought everything for the truck except Christmas/Birthday presents.
I bought it stock from an old man in Houston who owned a company that made shipping containers for the airport and used the truck to tow the containers. The mileage was 143k then and is currently at 158k.
List of mods I've added in order since:
Pioneer radio with 2 10" subs under the backseats
New body style tow mirrors
Ranch Hand legend front bumper and dually wrap rear bumper
Dual hi-flow mufflers
S&B intake
New headlights housings with led hi and low beams
Jump seat from a 2013 Silverado
N-Fab wheel to wheel steps
50" curved led light bar with N-Fab roof mounts

Closest picture I can find of it stock:

How she sits now:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:47:47 PM by Pulley »
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Pulley's Dually Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »
I got a new jump seat off ebay from a 2013 because the console I had wouldn't latch and was tired of the duct tape wrapped around it and didn't have a single cup holder besides my lap. This one directly bolts in and has FIVE cup holders which was very luxurious for me.
I had to remove both front seats then just lift the old seat out and toss it. The new seat is then placed and fits perfectly.

Just had to put the front seats back in and boom. Done.

I did have to transfer my peppermint collection from Sonic into the new console which now holds approximately 738 peppermints.
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:46:22 PM »
I used to think that roof mounted light bars looked goofy and then when my friend put one on his F-250 I started to think "hmm I could probably pull that off as well". You may ask "why in the world would he need a 50" light bar on a dually". Well our black cattle are skilled masters at finding weak spots in the fence at night and also nice for back roading with friends. So my birthday was coming up and asked my dad for a 50" curved light bar which I didn't expect to get but he got it anyways. He had me take it to a shop in town to have it installed because he doesn't believe in doing anything yourself :o. They only use N-Fab mounts and as far as I know are the only ones that sit right above the cab lights.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:54:03 PM by Pulley »
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:10:51 PM »
Texas is full of deer and where I live you have to accept the fact that you will some day hit one so I decided to welcome them with a Ranch Hand ;D. I also thought to myself since I getting a front bumper I might as well replace the rear that the previous owner banged all up jack knifing trailers and such. Eventually got a the legend front bumper for the front and dually wrap with reverse lights for the rear. But apparently I had an aftermarket trailer hitch and had to remove it so at the moment I have the attachment that Ranch Hand makes which is rated only at 5k trailer weight and 500 pound tongue weight so I definitely need to get a new hitch.
For some reason this picture looks weird but I assure the truck is perfectly normal ;)

Favorite pic of the front:
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 11:59:18 PM »
Thats a good start. Is that senior for you, college or HS?

Oh, I just count 83 peppermints and $2.59 (which could buy more)

6 ltr or 8.1?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »
Good to see another Texas dually on the forum.  I resemble that old man with a dually remark...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »

6 ltr or 8.1?
The senior is for me, I'll be graduating high school June 6th so I'm pretty excited about that. It only has the 6.0, would have got a diesel but my dad is very anti diesel for some reason so I settled for a gasser.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »

6 ltr or 8.1?
The senior is for me, I'll be graduating high school June 6th so I'm pretty excited about that. It only has the 6.0, would have got a diesel but my dad is very anti diesel for some reason so I settled for a gasser.
Congrats, young man!

Follow on intentions?

Ask your father to repent for the anti diesel feelings ;-))
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
Lookin good boss! I'm eyein' a set of those nfab running boards myself. How do you like them?
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »

6 ltr or 8.1?
Congrats, young man!

Follow on intentions?

Ask your father to repent for the anti diesel feelings ;-))

I'm not completely decided but I hope to get hired onto the company my dad is with as his helper and then he can train me to become an a/c tech for them. The company owns mobile homes that oil rigs rent from them and he works on those when they have problems. If that doesn't work out I'm thinking of welding, diesel mechanic, or something pipeline related. Dream job would be to own and work a large cattle ranch.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »
Lookin good boss! I'm eyein' a set of those nfab running boards myself. How do you like them?
I love them although they rattle a bit but I believe that's just the installer's error.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »
Nice truck!  Great to see a young man with desire to do things himself and pay as you go- keep it up and you'll go as far as you desire! :)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:42:20 AM »
So the next thing I want to do is get 20" wheels so I can run a m/t or a/t without spacers. My only concern is I'm getting 10.5 mpg and am afraid of how much it will drop going from a 31.7" tire to a 33" tire. Started thinking about getting a custom tune but after watching my dad fry his van with a bullydog kind of scares you away. Any ideas for better mpg besides keeping my foot out of the throttle?
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »
So the next thing I want to do is get 20" wheels so I can run a m/t or a/t without spacers. My only concern is I'm getting 10.5 mpg and am afraid of how much it will drop going from a 31.7" tire to a 33" tire. Started thinking about getting a custom tune but after watching my dad fry his van with a bullydog kind of scares you away. Any ideas for better mpg besides keeping my foot out of the throttle?
6BT!

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
6BT!
Well I would like to change it over to diesel but it won't be any time soon. I was thinking more along the lines of an lbz. ;D
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
LBZ is nice, but will run you 3-4x more than a 6bt. If your truck already has the allison (which it should) your are half way there!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
6BT!
Well I would like to change it over to diesel but it won't be any time soon. I was thinking more along the lines of an lbz. ;D
I hear ya

But when it comes time you would be much cheaper by a factor probably and have more tuneability with a simple 12 valve P-Pump 6BT...Which are lifetime engines

In any case, we're here to support ya with whatever expertise we can bring to the table!

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
6BT!
I hear ya

But when it comes time you would be much cheaper by a factor probably and have more tuneability with a simple 12 valve P-Pump 6BT...Which are lifetime engines

In any case, we're here to support ya with whatever expertise we can bring to the table!
You have peaked my interest though... what would go into doing that swap? Cost? Parts?
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Well it would be vastly more simple than figuring out a LBZ swap. LBZ's are electronic motors, all that sensor and interface and wiring harness and confuser business. That alone would complicate the process to the point where expertise would be required and the attendant cost.
However a 6BT Cummins is a simple mechanical motor with almost nothing electric. Your hookups would be a throttle cable, fuel line oil and water sensors and a few do dads like that. Then you pair a transmission to that or upgrade to 4WD and add a transfer and a front Dana 60 from a Dodge and you would be on the road in a couple weeks.
The Cummins is big time tunable and your mileage would close to double, better than the LBZ. You would have essentially created a lifetime truck.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 04:49:39 PM »
I have an LBZ, am very pro-Chevy.... and even i would say go straight 6 CTD. First, a LBZ long block is going to set ya way back, then you have all the electronics on top of that...

I think the retrofit market is more conducive to the Cummins too in terms of parts and knowledge-base.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »
Everything would run the same such as speedo and odometer? Would love to have a 20 mpg dually :D. Although it would have to wait until I move out and get a job, even though I can probably do it now.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
Would my current transmission fit with it or need to be replaced? I wouldn't mind having it built.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
Would my current transmission fit with it or need to be replaced? I wouldn't mind having it built.
Current trans is unsuitable
Even though it might stand up to double or triple the torque, it's gearing is all wrong for a diesel. Gassers need more RPM. A tuned Cummins is making hundreds of ft lbs at 1300 rpm.
I'd go with the gull Chrysler stackup. Probably a P-Pump 6BT along with a built 47RH or 47RE transmission. That will set you way back, likely it will cost 5K to build

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »
Is there anyone out there that builds these transmissions and engines and sells online? Or anybody know of a reliable builder for transmissions in Texas? Really wanting to do this now... Seems more reasonable than buying a new truck and I wanted to keep this truck anyways though I'm sure my dad will try to talk me out of it. But I know you guys want to see something like this ;D
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 11:22:56 PM »
While I think the ally would work. It would still be pricey as it would need a build and sensors hooked up to its TCM to work correct. Don is right and you can  by running combos for under 5K. Plus I think the 6 gears would be more cunductive to a low reving engine like the 6bt, vs the dmax motor that can rev to 4500.

I just got a quote online for a 47rh for 4k. Many places sell em, but having a local is really the way to go I think.

I have an LBZ too, but am doing my sub with a ppump. My tranny is undecided but I may go with the 46r I have, but many like the 47r for the lockup TC. I am sorta waiting for Don to do some driving before I decide for sure. Plus the 46 and 47rh can be made to use no electrics and work via pressure switches.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 11:35:18 PM »
I did some searching and ATS has a stage 5 47RH for a little under 7k with a 5 year/500,000 mile warranty. Not sure if that's overpriced or if I even need a stage 5 but I want the truck to have the power to haul whatever I hook it up to and not destroy something. This is all uncharted territory for me. Problem with buying local is I'm in a small town and there are not any transmission shops around that I know of.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 11:56:19 PM »
I think if your sled pulling you could spend that much. Look at Allstar Automotive out of Co, they are on ebay as bpparts and just do trannys. That is where I got my $4000 quote, but that was lots of upgrades. I was impressed when I talked to them, but not ready yet.

Small town or not it might be worth the drive to have one built as you want and if it needs tweaking you might need help.

Since you have made no decision yet, do some surfing and see what guys are running.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 12:23:39 AM »
I highly doubt I'll be sled pulling, mainly heavy trailers and what not. I'll check them out. There's a kid at school who is building a drag truck and I'll ask him about a good place to get a trans built around here.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »
If you're going old school 6bt you might as well do a ZF6 manual trans.  That would be cool hooked to the 6BT
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »
Couple things

Red Neck (Which he is not) is correct. With normal truck considerations the 6 speed manual is best with a Cummins. Cheaper as well. All your money goes into a very stout clutch which will be needed.

Now from the wisdom department. You are young. When I was young, I needed it right now, but in reality I did not need it at all, I wanted it. Nothing wrong with wanting it, right up to the point where you start getting yourself buried in debt to get that something. God doesn't like us being in debt...just saying.

My humble suggestion: Save your dollars for now and set a goal, say 7K to do this swap. Set a date, say spring of 2017 to start. Make up and settle on your plan and go down that path. Now that you know you ARE going to keep the truck, and you have a nice one, and you know you are going to install a Cummins, then start searching out articles and builders and brackets and fittings and everything. By the time comes, you will be a fully financed, well informed man who knows how you are going to do it, who is going to help you, where it will take place and you will have a consortium of pieces parts already to get you along. Any you will be knowledgeable enough to be the project manager for this big undertaking.

What I am suggesting is to show patience and take charge of this, your finances, your future and own it!

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »
I definitely know the difference between want and need and this is a want for sure. I planned to wait and hope I get a job at the company my dad is with so I would have a company vehicle to drive while this one is down. Also need to do more research because I won't know the first place to start on an engine swap. Not sure I would want a standard trans.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
Couple things

Red Neck (Which he is not) is correct. With normal truck considerations the 6 speed manual is best with a Cummins. Cheaper as well. All your money goes into a very stout clutch which will be needed.

Now from the wisdom department. You are young. When I was young, I needed it right now, but in reality I did not need it at all, I wanted it. Nothing wrong with wanting it, right up to the point where you start getting yourself buried in debt to get that something. God doesn't like us being in debt...just saying.

My humble suggestion: Save your dollars for now and set a goal, say 7K to do this swap. Set a date, say spring of 2017 to start. Make up and settle on your plan and go down that path. Now that you know you ARE going to keep the truck, and you have a nice one, and you know you are going to install a Cummins, then start searching out articles and builders and brackets and fittings and everything. By the time comes, you will be a fully financed, well informed man who knows how you are going to do it, who is going to help you, where it will take place and you will have a consortium of pieces parts already to get you along. Any you will be knowledgeable enough to be the project manager for this big undertaking.

What I am suggesting is to show patience and take charge of this, your finances, your future and own it!

Some of the best advice I've seen, right there.  (except for his questioning of my redneck credentials....)

Here is a passage for thought.  I know its not really talking about money, but it has multiple layers of appliccations.

Parable of the Talents

14 “For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. 15 To one he gave five [a]talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey. 16 Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents. 17 In the same manner the one who had received the two talents gained two more. 18 But he who received the one talent went away, and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “Now after a long time the master of those slaves *came and *settled accounts with them. 20 The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your [c]master.’

22 “Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

24 “And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’

26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 Then you ought to have put my money [d]in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. 28 Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.’

29 “For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. 30 Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »
Interesting read Redneck. For now I'm just going to do some research on which is best for my needs. Anyone heard of suncoast converters out of Florida?
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:45 AM »
So in my research I've discovered that I will be breaking federal regulations and going against the EPA by doing this swap. I would have to get the EPA to certify my truck which is a costly and long process, one guy asked for a list of what the vehicle has to go through to be certified and received a 400 page book of testing that has to be done. It can pass state inspection but still be breaking federal and EPA regulations anyway I go about it. I for one don't want to become involved with the EPA so I'm beginning to think it'll be in my best interest to just by a diesel truck and save myself all the hassle. Was a cool idea though.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 07:23:11 AM »
I believe you are fine since it's more than 20 years old.  Lots and lots of people doing 6bt swaps in Texas.  You would have to have the title changed over to diesel from gas so then you only go through visual inspection.  Check out 6btswaps.com

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
From what I was reading is the truck would have to be 25 years or older. I know I could get inspection but the truck still wouldn't be 100% legal.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »
Interesting read Redneck. For now I'm just going to do some research on which is best for my needs. Anyone heard of suncoast converters out of Florida?
Suncoast are good converters
Goerend is another great name for converters

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »
For now I'm going to see what the future holds before deciding on swap. In meantime I need to make a trip to Lufkin to discount tire to rotate the tires one last time and discuss tire prices. Still open to a/t or m/t suggestions. Kinda leaning towards nitto terra grapplers. Also discovered this morning I have a small coolant leak. Hopefully when I get out of school next week I can drop it off at the shop and have them leak check it while I run calls with my dad/fix up the property.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »
Most conversions follow the Ca CARB rules and if it passes here, you are good forever. This is where I am.

The motor must be from the same year or newer and retain all the emissions as factory new. It also must be in the same weight and vehicle class.

So my 91 was getting a 91 5.9, now its getting a 94 5.9, both good. Plus my motor is from a w250 as my suburban is a 2500. I could not have put the these motors in my 1500 since this motor came from a 2500, even though there were 1500 diesel suburbans.

Also, diesel made before 1996 are not smogged (neither was my 06 LBZ at first) but I still have to go to a state CARB referee to be sure my motor and chassis match for the conversion and it has whatever emmsions were required that year.

Same rules apply to gas or diesel. However as stated diesels before 1996 (obd2) do not get smogged at all.

There was an exception for "older" cares that was supposed to cut off for 1977 vesicles that would no longer need smogging. However they change it to 1975 later. I had a 77 and got screwed.

So all gas vehicles after 1975 get tested every other year based year of vehicle, pre 2002 get dyno tested and the ECM is not read. 2002 and later only need to be hooked up to read the ECM and pass or fail on that based on what it says.

Diesel up to 1996 do not get tested unless transferred. After 1996 they get a visual and a throttle tap test (looking for to much smoke) and the ecm is read. If you have a tune in there or have a wire in the wrong spot it is a fail. If they see a tuner, you fail. Mine had a wire for the EGT and boost and failed with a STOCK TUNE!   

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 12:21:45 AM »
Looks like you are free from testing as is most of Texas;

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

And no testing for diesel powered vehicles.

Looks like no classics exemption until 25 years old.

Reading a little more it looks like the Ca rules apply for engine swaps, but "farm trucks-vehicles" are exempt.

So drop in a Duramax or get 5.9 24v, but it will be using an ECM like the Dmax.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:30:59 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:05 AM »
So I could just register it as a farm truck and be trouble free?
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 12:36:20 AM »
How much different is the 24v compared to 12v? Would I be getting similar mpg gains?
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »
Little update, I haven't done much but I plan to buy new rims and tires some time this month. In the meantime I've been thinking of stuff I could do and water/meth injection came to mind. I want it mostly for the mpg gains. Thoughts on it?
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »
Little update, I haven't done much but I plan to buy new rims and tires some time this month. In the meantime I've been thinking of stuff I could do and water/meth injection came to mind. I want it mostly for the mpg gains. Thoughts on it?
On a gasser makes little to no power, except that it allows you to turn up the boost if supercharged and advance the timing (delays onset of preignition).

But on a diesel will add 100-150 ft lbs of torque and as much as 75HP to a healthy late diesel and improve mileage a point or maybe two.

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
I've been trying to get the full life out of my tires before replacing but last Thursday I was down a 2 mile dirt road in a hay field when it suddenly came down hard rain. After barely making it out of the mud pit of a road I decided I needed some all-terrains ASAP. So I went with the Toyo Open Country AT 2 in size 235/85/16. I put about 50 miles on them and they ride well and are not any louder than my highway tires I had before. They look nice and more aggressive than the pictures I saw.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
I just took those same tires off my truck after 40k and sold em for $500 with wheels. I really liked em but wanted something bigger.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
I just took those same tires off my truck after 40k and sold em for $500 with wheels. I really liked em but wanted something bigger.

Did your tires sway when new? I could feel the weight of the truck move from side to side when turning and assumed it was the tires breaking in.
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 06:33:26 PM »

6 ltr or 8.1?

My dad was the same way.  Hated loud clackety stinky diesels. 

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
Pully,

I just put on a set of Toyo Open Country M/T 33X12.50R18 but I had mine siped before they were installed.

They sway much more than my BFG AT's did. I wasn't sure if it was because of the siping or just the brand of tires.

We will see how they do on the ice. 
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
I had a set of Toyo MTs when I first bought my Dodge.  They were awesome in the snow.  I'm of the belief that all tires suck on ice unless you stud them.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal